Customer reviews

Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Platform: PlayStation 3|Change
Price:£24.99+ £2.03 shipping

on 5 April 2018
I don't know why I'm in a minority for hating this game. After Persona 4, I was expecting something....good...I mean I knew it wasn't going to be an RPG but....I still expected it to be good. Other online sources suggest that this is "like Blazblue." I'm sorry but, if this is like Blazblue, its a very poor imitation. Unlike Blazeblue, it has text walls instead of dialogue driving its story, less battles therefore more never-ending story, a complete lack of continuity between one story and the next and occaisional errors in the story timeline...(play Mitsuru's story as a P3 veteran and see the a blatant error missed by every Atlus proofreader, if they proofread it at all).
About that lack of continuity, I would have bought this story if there had been the hint of at least some supernatural reason as to why they all seem to split off into different realities. But no....
Also, they made my favourite character from the P4 game look like a ditzy idiot.....Yukiko Amagi, should not have been made into some boxed lunch obsessive...and that gag ending is awful....still at the beginning of her chapter, before the multiple choice...there's wayyy too much talk about boxed lunches and....how is this an interesting event, when it's barely an event to begin with?
And...spoiler alert....
Kanji gets into that world by......wait for it...................falling into the TV (ahem)
The fight scenes when they happen are good, and arcade mode plays pretty well, but its still not worth playing the beautiful Yuki-chan, just for her to talk about her boxed lunch again.
I've wondered if this game benefits tablet reading enthusiasts who think nothing of loading up a book and reading it..but...you buy a PS3 (or 4) and you buy what should be a computer game....and you get little more than a book instead. Why go to this expense and trouble when you can pick up a Give Yourself Goosebumps or something? And, due being only a casual fan of fight games, the odd arcade mode isn't enough to wile away hours of my time. I think in general, fight games should have better story modes, and only Blazblue has come close to meeting my standards. Persona 4: Arena doesn't....I played it to the end because i still care something for these characters but....I won't be buying Ultimax anytime soon.
on 11 May 2013
Let me start with a simple statement; I'm a fan of JRPGs, and have never tried to play a fighting game seriously before. While I did enjoy my time with one of Ark System Works' older titles, Blazblue: Calamity Trigger, my number one reason for buying this game is because I'm absolutely in love with the Persona series. Both Persona 3 and 4 rank among my favorite games, and I bought Persona 4 Arena hoping that it would serve as a neat little continuation of Persona 4's story. What I got was completely different.

As someone who bought the game primarily for its story, I can say with certainty that Persona 4 Arena's plot does not disappoint. Rather than serve as a small continuation of Persona 4, Arena's plot utilizes the well-established casts of both Persona 3 and 4 to tell an all new story filled with mystery, twists, and even some heart-wrenching moments. The story on display here is very, very good.

There's definitely more to a fighting game than its story, however, and the game absolutely shines in the gameplay department as well. Being a tad more simplistic than other serious fighting games like Blazblue, Street Fighter, and Tekken, Persona 4 Arena is both more accessible to newcomers than those games, and just as because of its unique game mechanics. While new players will be able to get by using the simple auto-combo the game has, playing online (which plays beautifully, by the way) will force you to learn timing, combos, and how to play mind games using your Persona and character-specific moves. It's an absolute blast to play.

I've been playing the game for hours on end, and still haven't even tried some of the modes yet; even for $60, this game is well worth the price. There's a ton of content that'll keep you occupied for at least 30 hours, and for a fighting game, that's damn impressive.

Arena really is as good as a fighting game can be, in my eyes. A well-sized, balanced list of characters, a stellar story, fantastic gameplay, and an awesome soundtrack all culminate to make an experience you don't want to miss.
on 19 December 2014
Persona 4 Arena is a sequel/spin off of the previous entry, Persona 4.

Unlike the previous game, P4A is a fighting game that includes the elements of the series into its system.

P4A starts with Yu, the hero from P4, returning to Innaba for golden week (a week of holidays that they have in Japan), with strange rumors of the midnight channel airing again (refer to Persona 4 for more information, although, it's explained on this game), while checking those rumors, Yu and the gang ends up on the TV world once again, but this time, they have to fight each other on the Grand Prix tournament held by a strange general Teddy.

As for gameplay, P4A main focus (like most of the fighting games) is the combos.
Sure the game offers simples combos, but the more you know the better you'll do.
As you have 2 normal attacks, and 2 special attacks that use your Persona, those special attacks are connected to a more complex system.
You must have enough SP to use your Persona attacks, which you win by attacking normally, you can also do a Persona Break, which happens when you hit your opponents Persona 4 times, which makes him unable of using it for some time, you have the awakening, that happens when you are low on health, which gives you more SP and new Persona attacks, and even an ultimate attack which is triggered under certain conditions.

The backgrounds and animation is ok, and the ost has the essence of Persona 4.
Presenting most of the main cast from P4, and some of the cast from Persona 3, Persona 4 Arena is essentially a game for fans, with various story routes with each character, still having the same spirit from the "main series", although, non-fans will also enjoy the game.
on 17 January 2014
As an RPG I vaguely expected wat I got, but my majr issue with this game is that the storyline sections drag on for a very long time, to the point that you get so bored that sometimes you don't even care bthat its leading to a fight scene. The fighting is complex for its type but otherwise fun. Good game but not something you should go out of your way for.
on 11 May 2013
A mix of Arc System works the makers of Blazblue, Guilty Gear and Acarna Hearts and Atlus's Persona wasn't something I foresaw and i am personally surprised.
Arc System Works know how to make 1v1 fighting Game and it shows here, you can learn easy but it will take time to master, similar to the other games from Arc System Works. now i think a fan of 1v1 Fighters or Arc's Games will enjoy this more than the Persona Fan base will, so if you never liked Fighter games then this isn't for you, but for those willing to try them or are a fan of the genre, this game is definitely worth it.
on 25 October 2016
Overall this game is fantastic, although I think enjoyment of the game is heavily dependant on whether you're a big fan of the Persona series as a whole. Great style and story!
on 2 June 2013
Another great 2d beat em up, easier to get into then blaz blue but still challenging to master, very faithful to the persona game on which its based, featuring the music and many characters from it.

If you are are fan of 2d beat em ups or the persona series I recommend it.
on 1 May 2014
I loved persona 4 and I'm a fan of blazblue so this was a nice suprise when I found it. Thankfully I had played the third Persona as well so I understood when people turned up from persona 3 during the story.
on 23 August 2014
If you liked Persona 4 and are a fan of anime fighters this is your game.

It's not Street Fighter but it's kinda like BlazBlue, if you've played an anime fighter before it'll make sense.

Despite this it's pretty fair and easy to learn and the story is okay.
on 10 March 2015
An excellent game - I really enjoyed it! If you're a Persona fan, I recommend it...