Customer reviews

QE2 [Remastered]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 October 2015
I got the vinyl version of QE2 when it first came out, and nearly wore it out. Now I've finally got the CD version, I find myself playing some of the tracks over and over again just as I did all those years ago. I wouldn't claim that this album is in the same league as Tubular Bells, Ommadawn or Hergest Ridge (the latter being Oldfield's very best work to my ears) but.. there's something really accessible and addictive about some of the tracks, and I'd say it's got a more uplifting vibe than his earlier work. At the same time it still plays more like a continuous body of music than the albums that followed it.

I just can't believe it took me so long to get this in CD form after I ditched all of my vinyl. Still, better late than never.
on 4 June 2017
Typical early MikE Oldfield Terrific then and still sounds good today. E Horrocks
on 5 October 2017
Lovely album, one of his better ones.
on 3 August 2012
Many of the die-hard fans will want to go for the deluxe edition but if you're just dipping your toes in the water is this the one for you? Well I say yes.

QE2 was actually my introduction to Mike Oldfield's music and I quickly became addicted to it, saving up to buy his previous releases. The beauty of much of his early work is that it is complex and challenging yet remains completely accessible, QE2 perfectly fits into that bracket. Right from start to finish this album is full of tunes that you won't be able to resist whistling or humming to yourself, you'll be desperate to return and listen again.

Let's not forget that Oldfield is a superb musician and this album sees him in guitar-hero mode, with some blistering fret-work.

If this isn't your first visit to QE2 and you're here for the remastering; is it noticeable? My last copy on CD was purchased in the 1980's and this release is a definite improvement. By comparison my old copy sounds brittle and too trebley, this release is warm and reveals layers of music I hadn't noticed before, you wouldn't want to miss out on that would you?!

I've gotten into the habit of telling Oldfield fans about a young whipper-snapper by the name of Andrew Taylor who has released an album called Mohribold (google it). If you like Oldfield you'll love Mohribold! There are some QE2-esque moments as well as some clear Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge influence but he's got his own style too. Maybe he's one to watch out for since Oldfield has called for an instrumetnal rock renaissence after his Olympics appearance.
on 13 October 2013
Great Album from Mike Oldfield. Great use of electric guitar. Upbeat and happy music. A must album for anyone who enjoys good music!
on 19 July 2014
Stunning album this. Taurus II on of his best ever compositions, and although the end is altered to the original I still enjoyed it
on 29 October 2001
With this early hybrid between traditional acoustic instrumentation and synthesizers, this is about as far as MO took his music. A true classic.
on 4 August 2014
great but not his best
on 23 October 2016
Bought this as a cassette when it first came! Haven't heard it in years but still love it. Absolutely vintage Oldfield.
on 20 February 2017
Thank you very much from the Russian. Sound recording is a very high quality.