on 9 December 2012
This game is a lot of fun among friends and family, especially if you're a competitive bunch. It's all about working out who's a spy, who's trying to cover their tracks and who's a team player. There's a lot of accusations and mistrust involved.

It's not really a 'board game', in that there's not much of a board - the cards and counters keep track of the game perfectly, and most of the action is around the table, in the social interaction that the game encourages. The components are really good quality though - I hear the new round/score tracker is much simplified over the first edition. The box is small too, so it's easily transportable.

The minimum amount of players is five - any less and it just isn't possible to have a band of resistance fighters and a spy, without it being obvious who's who. You can have up to ten players though, so it's ideal for parties and large family gatherings. And games usually last between 20 and 40 minutes, depending on how good the saboteurs are.
on 27 August 2015
The Resistance is one of the best games I have played and I play a lot of them, what makes it so good is that most games require often clunky mechanics or rules to force something that should be natural. In the resistance there are not many mechanics and instead human nature kicks in and makes it very interesting for those who play games all the time and those who never play games.

The game is fast paced and fun, it can have people rolling on the floor laughing, on your knees pleading with someone to make the right choice and in some games shouting at people calling them liars.....

It is fun when you start and if you keep the same players over time you see tactics and more depth to the game then you would imagine but is also inviting to new players and easy to pick up.

I think a real test for the game was when my partner had a birthday party and near the end of the evening when the numbers dwindled to about 9 she came in with Resistance. I tried to put it away as it was my geeky side that i did not want everyone at the party to see. I lost the fight and was forced to setup (which takes about 1 minute) and start to explain the rules, I was using words that are in the rules like "Go on missions" "pass or fail a mission" "Squad leader" the girls were just laughing and saying how geeky the game was. I quickly wrapped up and said it was Cluedo but in teams and started the game.

Within a minute or two everyone started to realise the game was not about the mechanics or using the playing cards or little gun tokens but human interaction, working as a team and lots and lots of lying. Some of the girls were shouting at each other "you’re the bad guy" - "No you must be" Others instantly started talking to each other, "Who do you think is telling the truth?" and coming up with plans of who they would send on missions and trying to find out who was good or bad.

That is the genius of the game, most people know how to speak one another, try and get their point across, read body language and emotion. That is the main part of the game and only once you have played a lot more you realise the little mechanics in the game will help you but not break you.

I would and have played this game, with hard-core geeky nerds, normal members of society and my family and every time it has been fun and different.

Buy this game!
on 16 April 2016
The Resistance is the perfect gateway game for introducing to non-gamers at parties and such. You know those people that pull a face when you suggest you play a game over some drinks? I tell them 'try this out, it takes fifteen minutes and if you don't like it I'll never ask you to play a game again'. I never brought it to a table and not had everyone ask for another round. People sidle up to you days later 'what was that game we played? The one with the spies and that? Aye, that was really good, I'd like to play that again....'
The Resistance has a great hook. Before you start to explain the rules, you hand everyone a card. If it's a red card, they are a spy. If you are a spy, you have to keep it secret from the other players. You are here to sabotage the group without getting caught. Everyone's looking at each other. Who are the spies? The spies are sweating and looking about thinking 'omg they all know. THEY KNOW. Try to look innocent, casual. But don't look like you're trying to look innocent!'. The players don't even know how to play the game, but they are already emotionally invested. Genius.
A game of deduction, keeping a poker face, reading body language. Paranoia. Distrust. Betrayal. I once played when I was a spy and I convinced my girlfriend I was innocent. She was so convinced that she was passionately arguing my innocence to the table of sceptics around me. When the spies won the game and it was revealed I was a spy all along, the look of betrayal on her face made me wonder if I had actually done some damage to my relationship. It was brilliant :)
I've played a ten player game where everyone was drunk. Ten people yelling accusations at each other. Total chaos. 'OF COURSE HE'S A SPY! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT A SPY WOULD SAY!!!'. Great fun.
I've played quiet, tense five player games. Everyone racking their brains. Just staring at each other, holding their breaths. Great fun.

This is a total classic game. It's very cheap. If you have any interest at all, toss the dumb party games you bought in the supermarket into the bin and grab this.
on 30 December 2012
I picked this up with the intention of playing it at the pub with my board game group, but it hasn't quite made it there yet. My family and visitors have been too busy playing it! It's a massive amount of fun, and can create lots of tense moments as the spies try to create enough trust in themselves to bring down the resistance.

The components are very nice quality, on thick high quality card, and the seem like they will last a good amount of time. Highly recomended for fans of social board games or even thos who just want something to make for a lively evening!
on 24 March 2016
Seriously, this is a fantastic game! For all the money we've spent on table top games - this is so simple, affordable and BRILLIANT. We had hours of fun and didn't want it to end. Resistance is a great game for people who love bluffing, deception and lying in games. SO stressful being the spy!
on 30 December 2015
This game was so much fun for the whole family to play at Christmas. We managed to enlist several other people in the hotel into our group of Resistance players too. Such fun. Easy to understand but as difficult as you want to make it. Graphics are fun and the playing pieces are well made and robust. Great game.
on 27 September 2015
Brilliant game if you have a big enough group to play with! Simple enough to explain to everyone quickly and short enough to make it a great party game. And besides the fun to be had it also gives an insight into the people in your group as it really brings out their deceptive sides. Friends and family I'd known for years genuinely surprised me after a few games of this.
on 26 December 2013
Got this game after watching a youtube review from Will Wheaton and seeing the good reviews on here. Not disappointed at all! This is a brilliant little game. Fantastic for group gatherings. We got this a few days ago and have played several games every night with different groups of people each time and it has been a huge hit. Simple to learn, extremely fun to play, and the short game length means it can be played quickly as a filler or multiple times in the same session. I'm not sure if who you play with is important or not. Personally I've played with family and friends who are all up for a laugh and able to point the finger (literally) at people they think are spies. That is what the game is all about, the social interaction is fantastic. You will have to decide whether the groups you would play with would be able to be so confrontational with each other. But it is all friendly fun. This game is excellent and I highly recommend it.
on 24 February 2015
We played this game over Christmas at my place and it was amazing fun. When I was first told about this game, I'll be honest, I wasn't overly enthused, but the actual game is very addictive. It all relies on your ability to read other people and your own ability to convincingly lie. Fantastic family game!
on 17 November 2015
I love this game - I LOVE IT! Wasy to get even non-gamers into, great at parties, a really good way to break the ice - the only problem is that you need 5 or more players, so there needs to be a fair crowd.

I've found with a new group it's best for me to sit out for a round to guide everyone through, and also leave out the plot cards - this helps everyone understand the way that missions work and lets them ask me questions. It only takes a single round before they're fully into the game!