Customer reviews

1,007
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 4 July 2014
Perfect title for this book. The story is about the sometimes devastating consequences and stresses and strains faced by families with arrival of long lost family members they know nothing about particularly when it happens when they are adults.

Years ago Annie, had a one night stand with Charles Delancey and then never heard from him again. Months later she found out she was pregnant and was somewhat coerced into giving the baby up for adoption although she didn't want to keep the baby either and has felt guilty about that ever since. Fastforward 35 years and she has a fairly stable marriage and three grown up children, with the children knowing nothing of her past. When her long lost son Daniel tries to make contact and makes an entrance, the family is torn apart with jealousies particularly on the part of the son and husband who resent Daniel's entry into their lives and what they think is Annie's obsession with him. The girls are more relaxed although a little confused. In addition to this Annie has to make contact with Charles Delancey who knows nothing of his son Daniel's existence. That in itself causes old feelings to resurface. A false accusation by Annies son's girlfriend leads to Daniel leaving. As Annie unravels the truth the family slowly call a truce. I did wonder how Annie could really now be happy with Richard after his betrayal and Charles's confession. Maybe for the sake of the children and keeping the peace?

This is a wonderful book exploring todays complex relationships and how one family deals with it . Although 'Thursdays in the Park' is my favourite Hilary Boyd book , I did enjoy this one so much too as I can't even comprehend the situation this family find themselves in.
on 18 December 2013
I have thoroughly enjoyed this author but was not as keen on this novel. I felt the characters were too flat,lacking any depth, very stereo typical and just all way too nice. Everything was a bit too perfect which I found irritating especially when there are so many people struggling financially in the real world. I realise escapism is one of the many wonderful things about reading but in this case I was almost glad things started to go wrong for this overly perfect family. However on the plus side I did complete reading it and it did improve somewhat in the middle. I was also relieved as there were no errors (at least none to my knowledge) which is something that annoys me with some kindle editions. Any way, not bad if you like squeaky clean.
on 2 December 2014
I cannot understand the negative reviews on this book but I suppose what suits one doesn't suit another.

I couldn't stop reading this on my kindle, a real page turner and you soon get drawn into all the lives of the family and get to know them and all their ups and downs.

I can thoroughly recommend and I am looking forward to reading 'Thursday's in the Park' which I have already downloaded to my library.
on 9 December 2016
Very funny book, thoroughly enjoyed it
on 12 February 2014
Poor Annie, her past life catches up with her and her present family aren't too pleased to find out the secret she has kept from them all their lives. Annie was a young single parent who became pregnant after one sexual encounter who was bullied by her mother not to keep her son. She realises she cant afford to keep her son and agrees to give him up for adoption. She gets on with her life, marries and has a family and then one day it all changes.
I loved this book. Its an easy read with a good storyline. Lizzie is happily married with a family and a thriving cake business. But out of the blue her son who she gave up for adoption at birth gets in touch. She is happy about this but will her family be?Will her adopted son be? Read it to find out its a great book.
on 15 November 2013
This was a fascinating read about what happens when an adopted child seeks out his birth mother. The impact and fall out on the other characters is fascinating and believable. Characters are sympathetic and likeable. Well worth the read!
on 26 April 2017
great book
on 11 November 2013
I enjoyed this book. Easy to read. Would recommend. Just goes to show how one incident can affect so many lives. Will be interested in other books by this author.
on 8 August 2017