on 26 May 2016
Great story which for me felt that it overlapped with her newer book, i felt i had already read most of this book, but overall i was interested in the depth of destruction of people that the Jews encountered in the death camps. Through the eyes of a survivor we see only a brief account of what the Germans did, to imagine the pain and loss of these people you can never experience unless you were there for real. What makes me angry is the fact that British intelligence knew about the camps long before the end of the war and yet did nothing about it.
on 25 April 2013
It is acompelling read, I could not put it down. I wanted to read this one before reading her new book After Auschwitz which has just come out. When the SS and Kappos first left Berkeneau and they found the stores with mountains of food, clothing, eiderdowns, shoes etc is uneblievable. Everyone left was at deaths door and it just beggars belief how a human being could do that to another human. A wonderful book and I am now going to read the new one. I have been to Auschwitz and Berkeneau and really think everyone should know what happened. A wonderful account. In Trebilka Camp o er 800,000 people were sent there and only 70 alive when liberated.
One person found this helpful
on 25 August 2016
A very moving and well written story I couldn't put it down. The determination to survive is unbelievable it's hard to imagine what Eva and the rest went through.
on 2 January 2013
Eva's Story has the reader drawn in from the very beginning with the sunny outlook on life and that of her family, what could possibly go wrong?!
War! Everything for the Schloss family is then done by the minute. No immediate future plans can be made as they're in hiding from the Nazis.
Eva grows up during her time in hiding and has to cope with this in her own way until the family are found and taken away. Although Eva and Mutti are separated from Heinz and Pappy she remains confident that they will all be reunited, soon.
This story is easy to read and understand. Not to be put down, I read this in a day!
One person found this helpful
on 20 August 2017
We must never forget what happened
on 7 September 2014
An awe inspiring account of the degrading and inhumane realities of life within auschwitz and throughout the entire holocaust. The hardships and losses that where experienced by those involved really hits home how lucky we are today, for running water, clean clothes, sanitary living conditions etc etc... My heart goes out to anybody who suffered a loss during this time and this book really does tell it how it was and is. Well done Eva and Mütti, your courage gives me hope x
on 30 December 2014
I loved this book I was going through an I can't read anything time when I found this .i stayed up half the night to read this .
I must admit I do have a bit of a connection with the book ,my father was a journalist for the Jewish Telegraph ,he interviewed Otto Frank many years ago ,Otto was an acquaintance of my grandfather after the war also .
Great read ,unbelievable what these people suffered at the hands of other humans ,well written .
on 7 May 2014
A very moving and touching. It is very emotional and makes you see what people went through in the war. Once you start reading it you will not want to put it down
on 6 June 2013
I consider this book to be a valuable historical record of the terrible atrocities of the Nazi regime inflicted upon ordinary people. This is a Must Read on anyone's list. It's not a work of great literature but made me appreciate how important it is that we should continue to read personal histories - least we forget. Highly recommend for content.
on 23 June 2013
An interesting, and harrowing account of a young girl's experience of the Holocaust. I couldn't put it down, even though some parts were so horrific they were barely readable.