on 11 June 2011
Bought for an 8-year-old doing a school project on this hugely difficult and complex topic. Usborne have done a remarkable job in making sense of the subject and we found the book informative, moving and accessible. It is packed with photographs and diagrams which help to explain practical concepts such as trench warfare as well as making clear the human cost of the conflict.
It's an unpatronising read and I confess that I learned a great deal from it, too.
on 4 October 2009
My children are studying the First World War as part of their history curriculum at school and this book is a fantastic introduction to the subject.We also have the Usborne Second World War book too. I can't highly recommend them enough.
on 31 January 2013
Yet again, Usborne has done it! I bought this book for my husband as we had both said we'd never really understood the first world war. This book explains the war in an accessible way for all ages; my husband is really impressed with the way it is written and illustrated. Would highly recommend this book for children and adults alike.
Part of an Usborne True Stories collection, this is an excellent introduction to World War for children aged around 7+. Short chapters recount such key events as the Somme, the Christmas truce and football match between German and British soldiers and how the Great War led to another war soon afterwards. The author Paul Dowsell has also recently written two excellent novels for children aged 10+, Auslander and Sektion 20, so you can appreciate how well written these true stories are.

There are very useful links to other sources of information on this period in history including other non-fiction, films and poetry.
on 4 December 2015
As with the Second World war book this is an exceptional reference book useful for education and for general interest. Aimed more at KS2 children they should not be confined to this age group even adults would enjoy this more concise book.
on 31 January 2014
I bought this book to help my 9 year old son understand something about WW1 seeing as it is the anniversary this year. He loves this book, reads it frequently and has learnt a lot. It has a great combination of pictures and facts, it is engaging for children. Highly recommended.
on 17 April 2012
An excellent resource. This book covers the challenges and the strife of war in an accessable way accompanied with fantastic pictures. I, as an adult, was engrossed and found it a great help to introducing my 8 year old to the subject. The weblinks are much apreciated too.
on 14 August 2013
My son is 6 years old and very interested in both WW. This book explained very well in detail what happened! Would definitely recommend this book!
on 3 January 2013
Great information at the correct level for the children to appreciate. Used to gain info for introducing history topic of WW1 to Y5.
on 15 January 2013
I loved this book. Bought it for my husband and ended up reading it myself too as it describes the wars in easy language with lots of big photos and images which really takes you into the story