on 31 May 2013
Roy Race makes Messi look like a chump... and he has better hair than Cristiano Ronaldo! Blackie Gray, Duncan McKay, Charlie 'The Cat' Carter - jumpers for goalposts, what! And Penny Race, the original WAG (and still the best).

My only gripe is that the navigation through the fomic when viewed on a smartphone is clunky and it's easy to move too far forward or backward accidentally. There are comic book apps from the likes of DC Comics and Marvel that have already overcome this problem, with each panel sliding in to replace the last and zooming in and out for a more dynamic reader experience, so it would be great way to view a Racey Rocket!
on 17 August 2013
As a kid I can remember waiting excitedly every Saturday tea-time for the new issue of Roy Of The Rovers to be delivered, and dashing to the front door when I heard the sound of the letter box, so I'm not ashamed to admit I got a buzz of excitement when I discovered that Roy Race's adventures were now available for the Kindle app. Some of the dialogue is very much from an era gone by, but Roy Of The Rovers was a great comic book and reading these republished stories once again brought back a lot of happy memories.

As some reviewers have already mentioned, it doesn't feature panel by panel scrolling like some comic book apps, and I can therefore understand how it might perhaps be fiddly to read on a smaller device such as a mobile phone, but I read it on a Google Nexus 7 and on a device that size the quality of the scanned images was excellent.

Roy Of The Rovers features simple, straight forward story telling at its best and is a must for any football fans looking for a nostalgic trip down memory lane.
Many of us grew up to a certain extent with 'Roy of the Rovers' so this is a good piece of nostalgia. With a new season opening a supermarket have put up a prize for the first player to score fifty goals in the season. With Roy as usual on scoring form some think that perhaps he is being selfish and may go for the prize to the detriment of Melchester Rovers. But surely Roy isn't like that?

This is the first volume and as you will quickly notice this has been scanned from the original tale in the comic, as it appeared, week by week. Like the other reviewer has noted there is a problem with this if your eyesight is deteriorating a bit. I personally have read this on my i-Pad and the print for me is clear enough but unlike with other comics, if I double tap I just get a zoom on the whole page, rather than just a panel. This means that you have to keep moving the page about and the writing is a bit blurred.

For a lot of people like me there will be no need to adjust anything, but alas for some this may prove to be a problem. Also you should be aware that the quality of the frames does alter slightly throughout the story, due to the sources used. In all this is great for us looking for some nostalgia, and could well induce younger people to become Roy fans, but this does have its limitations.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2013
I almost Forgot the great storyline of how the beautiful game used to be played but this took me back to my boyhood when things were a lot simple, the old fashion values shown by Roy and the team should be adopted by today's players where money and players agents did not change the game into a business. But hey ho everything changes in time but not all for the better.
on 7 August 2014
Looks great when reading it on my tablet, though you do have to read each page in quarters, if you want to read it. It's not so good on my kindle has I just have a touch kindle & that only does black and white.
on 3 September 2013
When I was a boy I reguarly had Roy of the Rovers delivered and could never put it down. I still have some of my comics and this was brough back great memories, even better because it was free!
on 8 January 2014
Great format with just the Roy of the Rovers stories. Takes me back to coming home from holiday and catching up on several weeks of comics. Loved it!
on 20 November 2014
We all dreamt of being Roy of the Rovers and it's good to relive these days. We might all be 30-40 years older but we're all still kids at heart
on 29 September 2013
I used to read these when I was younger better then match of the day great stories and art work will be downloading more copies
on 6 December 2013
Took me back to my childhood this! I was back there in my head on the pitch with Roy, scoring goals with him