on 22 July 2012
As with many trance compilation albums nowadays, many of the tracks aren't actually trance. This is the way that the music scene is heading at the moment it seems, with electro gradually filtering its way into many high profile trance albums. ISoS10 is no exception unfortunately. I appreciate the ISoS series has always been about showcasing its own unique genre of trance, which I guess may not have actually been trance, but either way, we are seeing the what is now the typical electro inclusion. Something I personally just don't like. Granted, the tracks in question (most prevalent on CD2) aren't as severe as some of the tracks on other 'trance' compilations, but they are still there. Those tracks that contain the really annoying long pitch bends that act as a build up are the ones to look out for...
None of the Richard Durand offerings have been as good as the Tiesto era, in my opinion; ISoS5, for example, was fantastic, and nothing has quite hit the same heights since. However I think RD's mixing has improved over time, and in that respect I would argue that volume 10 is the best example of RD's mixing ability. Also, there are still some good tracks on the album; I particularly like Super8 & Tab's 'Black in Back' which is a throwback to about the mid naughties... a cracking song with proper trance grooves and complimentary vocals. There are one or two more typical 'Sunrise' tracks too, that are less club-like than many traditional trance songs, containing softer beats and synths. So it's not all bad.
I also appreciate that many people will enjoy this shift from trance (or whatever you want to call it) to electro (or whatever you want to call it), but personally I just think the emotions that you get with the former cannot be re-created with the latter, which is a shame. To me, you could throw all of the electro tracks on this album together with others from other recent 'trance' compilation albums and I couldn't tell them apart. Moreover, I wouldn't enjoy any of them. It wouldn't matter whether they were Searching for Sunrise or playing on Anjunabeach, they all sound the same; emotionless and cluttered (in my opinion...)
Enjoy ISoS10 for the odd glimmer of classic Sunrise and the odd pure trance stormer... but nothing more.
on 24 June 2012
So far I think this is the best edition of Richard Durand's In Search of Sunrise. It's clear that we're not going to see a return to the chilled feel of some of the Tiesto ISOS mixes but this is still a good listen and my favourite trance/dance compilation of the year so far.

I'd say disc 1 is the slightly better disc although I don't always feel the track order allows the mix to flow as well as it could. For example I don't think the excellent but slightly harder Nova Flare suits being next to a more gentle track such as Letting Go, but on the whole the mix is an enjoyable summery mix and contains some great tracks.

Disc 2 has a great start with the first few tracks and then becomes a harder and more progressive disc. There are just the two (nice) vocal tracks on this disc which are My Life and Let It Shine, so if you don't like lots of instrumentals you're probably not going to enjoy this disc as much. I personally don't mind the lack of vocals but some of the tracks are a little too hard for my liking.

The 3rd disc is mixed by the winner of the ISOS Classics competition. Some people are upset it doesn't contain any tracks from ISOS 1-3 but you can't include everything and I think it has a very good track selection. Unfortunately I don't think it's mixed all that well with some rough transitions but it's definitely worth a listen.

On the whole a good edition of In Search of Sunrise. Doesn't quite have the atmosphere of a Tiesto ISOS but has a summery feel in parts and is an enjoyable listen.
on 2 March 2013
I've loved Richard Durand's editions of ISOS and this is no exception. It's great summer trance and is currently in the CD player in my car, as summer down here in NZ draws to an end. Personally, I think criticism of CD3 is unjustified and I love the track selection and think the mixing is spot on. Track preference is obviously very subjective, but Thomas Mengel and I obviously like the same stuff, so I think he has done himself credit and has taken the opportunity he has been given and nailed it :) I hope ISOS carries on for many years and I also hope we get a few more editions from Richard Durand. I will certainly buy every single one!
on 7 October 2012
I must say I was a bit wary buying an 'In Search of Sunrise' cd without Tiesto behind the decks; but Richard didn't disappoint. It's a good double album,with an extra mix cd from Thomas Mengel.
on 14 July 2012
excellent new set ... love all three discs ..in reference to the other reviewer who comments on disc 3 , i beg to differ . the mix is seemless and i welcome his selection of tracks .. . as it states its HIS favorites from the series. the other reviewer should have submitted his own mix.!! thanks richard and thanks thomas .. LOVIN IT
on 2 December 2012
Very good cd and very cool cover photo.
Very good songs and chilled which always helps and love listening to it.
Will continue to listen to the In Search Of Sunrise CDs.
on 8 August 2012
This one could well be the best of the series...the 2 RD discs are excellent and the bonus disc is superb! Great stuff!
on 7 January 2015
Amazing all of them not as one bad CD yet great tunes
on 11 July 2012
The CD3 competition for ISOS 10 Australia was a big opportunity for all DJs/ Fans Worldwide.

According to the rules:
Quote: "If you fancy the sound of it, here's what you need to do. Gather together your favourite tracks from ISOS' 1- 9 (that gives you close to 200 weapons to choose from) and work them into your perfect, immaculate In Search Of Sunrise [...]"
Yes, favourite tracks from ISOS 1-9 (almost 200 weapons)!?

And the result of the third CD ignored the ISOS 1-4 and the biggest disappointing of this year 2012 so far. You will not find the best non forgotten tracks of the Trance History. Where are the tracks like?
BT - The force of gravity, York - The reachers of civilization, Way Out West - Mindcircus, Tiesto - In my memory, Rui Da Silva - Touch me, Coca & Villa - La noche, Kamaya Painters - Far from over, Salt Tank - Eugina (Michael Woods Remix), Andain - Summer calling (Josh Gabriel Mix), Allure - The loves we lost, Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun and many more!
I am asking WHY?? Black Hole Recordings, WHY?? What was the reason for choosing this worst mix from Thomas Mengel. This is really poor! I cannot say anything else.

OK, back to the first and second CD.
The first CD begins horrible "Velvet" is dreadful.... but the rest is good but included a little bit cheesy vocals. The second CD continuous (without vocals) but sometimes average.
I am really disappointing (CD3) because I expected the ISOS classical feeling. The first ISOS issues gave me everytime unique moments.
Black Hole Recordings is driven ISOS against the wall!
on 21 July 2015