on 1 January 2013
This book is fun to read and easy to swallow because it reflects all the tabloid prejudices that we encounter every day. The problem for the reader is that he finds himself agreeing with the pseudonomous Mr. Payne! If you actually agree with every word, you should emigrate. Certainly the book is a catalogue of successive government mismanagement. No none is spared the outspoken criticisms but the writer is the wiseguy at the pub or the moaner in the office rather than the balanced thinker who has thought out what is really bad and in need of reform and what we can actually do about it in this mad mad century. It should do well for sales if we have a European In-Out debate! It's a great book for a read on the train or in the car park waiting for the missus. It needs some reaction and thought or you might go home and kick the cat! Most people enjoy this kind of stuff. I confess it gave me a good laugh as I recognised my own prejudices.
on 15 June 2012
The author, under the clever moniker of Thomas Payne, laments the loss of common sense in Britain today, to be replaced by politically correct nonsense. Payne leaves no area of modern life untouched and draws upon an astonishing range of examples from politics to celebrities to sport to illustrate his arguments. Well researched and intelligently written, Uncommon Sense is uncompromising in its critical examination of the political and cutural slough prevalent in the 21st century Britain. However, Payne's humorous turn of phrase means that this is not a book that takes itself too seriously, making me laugh out loud and nod in agreement at many of his observations. A refreshing change from the status quo, I'd recommend this enjoyable, satirical read to anyone fed up with the present state of affairs.
on 11 July 2015
The book is a timely reminder as to how we've become slaves to political correctness. Last weekend I had a visit from my daughter and I could see that some of my words were making her uncomfortable. I have no problems with someone calling me homophobic if I am allowed in return to call him / her (notice the PC even in me) a queer. We can then take our differences to a non-slanging level. Now in our country, any minority group is deemed to be innocent -- just because they are a minority. The current argument at UCL shows this up precisely. The words of Hymns are altered so that they don't emphasise a male deity etc Don't ever use the word 'coloured'!
A brilliant Book!
on 17 June 2012
With his extremely outspoken account of a range of issues currently in the news, Thomas Payne certainly pulls no punches. As per the caveat at the start of the book, some readers will probably be taken aback by some chapters but there is an overwhelming sense throughout that the author is simply brave enough to say what everyone else thinks. A veritable tour-de-force of current affairs with a no nonsense discussion covering everything from art to Al-Jazeera, this is highly recommended, particularly if you're in the mood for a rant.
on 7 December 2013
I enjoyed reading this book so much at at so many points found myself agreeing and feeling slightly angered at just how true and accurate the writer is. Of course there were parts that some people may find slightly offensive, but the main parts which people my think this about are the subjects always suggested to never discuss unless to cause offense or an argument. I myself begins that the writer has dealt with these subjects effectively so though obviously his own opinion, which everyone is entitled to. So much of what he writes however is unfortunately so true. Britons really need to stand up and do something before we fully lose everything about our once great country. A book that should be read by all of the UK, and one which may start to finally open the eyes of those who are ignorant to what is happening with our homeland.
on 7 July 2012
I agreed with almost every word in this book. In fact I think most people would, although religious zealots might find his opinions on religion quite irritating I suppose. The only point where my opinion differed from that of Mr. Payne is in the small matter of Sir Lordship Bob Geldof.
This is actually quite a small book which I managed to read in about 3 hours. It is a very opinionated sort of a book, and at times the opinions being expressed reminded me of the sort of stuff my ( 84 year old ) dad would come out with. I also found the title slightly misleading because only one small chapter is devoted to Political correctness as such.
So. Basically you have got a highly opinionated book about Britain, written by someone who doesn't actually live in Britain any more. One would be forgiven for thinking he gets his information on life in Britain from the pages of the "Daily Mail". I think the promises that "people will be shocked" or whatever are wishful thinking more than anything -the opinions expressed are exactly what you hear at my local golf club any day of the week. And- given the small size of this book- it's more of a broadsheet or pamphlet than a book really.
on 10 May 2015
Excellent! Everybody should read this book and try to understand that the world at present is sick, very sick. Why don't we all listen to 'Doctor' Thomas Payne and change our ways..change our ways.
on 22 December 2015
Only read 10% of this book, up to now it is a one sided rant about how much America is in the wrong for everything. Will update on rest of book if I can manage to read much more of it without getting too annoyed that it doesn't seem to be too much about political correctness.
on 10 August 2015
What a pain this man is! Very big on opinion, not so careful with facts. He skates across the surface and, while appearing to give detailed information presents a much less than balanced view in order to support his conspiracy theories and black & white picture of the world. I can't believe I actually finished the book, I suppose I kept thinking it would get better!
on 27 December 2012
Thomas has hit the nail on the head with most of the topics within this book, all of which is common sense with a pragmatic opinion. The book describes the political left and the egalitarians that be seem to ignore the elephant in the room, which has been eroding this nations identity and lifestyle perniciously.