Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 27 October 2016
A really good read. The female lead is strong, funny and caring. She becomes an anomaly unique vampire and falls in love with Lucas. However it isn't instalove at all in fact they hate each other when they first meet. The story isn't therefore based around romance but around a story of capturing her to kill her due to a prophesy that says she will end all vampires... All the characters are like able and there is no sexual content so good for younger adults. There is however graphic violence when they are all fighting one another. Highly recommended
on 29 March 2014
This book has some nice ideas, but not enough to keep my attention in light of the somewhat clunky characters and plotting. Lots of action/adventure keeps the story bombing along, but it can also feel a bit rushed, and the story relies on the heroine vacillating wildly between sheer stupidity ("yes, I will go into that deserted and dark place with a strange man") and blind acceptance ("so vampires are real? Sounds plausible..."). An okay read and will probably be enjoyed by Twilight fans, but a bit weak for my tastes.
on 27 May 2017
This book started off quite slow to me. I was considering putting it down but I persisted and am I happy I did! If you love vamps then give this one a try.
on 2 May 2014
This is not my usual read in that its a YA book but god I loved it the main characters are fab and the story is different I will defo be getting the next one x
on 18 February 2014
I enjoyed this book so much i bought and read the next one (along with this) in two days.. great read.

Suitable for teenagers too.
on 9 September 2012
What Kills Me was a pleasure to read. The very beginning left me wondering if 'Zee' was going to be one of those ultra goody-two shoes that are simply too pure to stomach, but she wasn't. I liked her immensely. She was strong, without being cold; sarcastic, without being irreverent; and vulnerable without being a snivelling weakling in constant need of protection. Don't get me wrong, she needed protecting, but she wasn't one of those useless female leads who just flails about waiting for the hero to do all of the work. The hero, by the way, is also fabulous. Lucas is just as strong as you would expect him to be, but shows a surprising depth of emotion, despite his gruff exterior. Yummy!

What I loved most, however, was the witty repartee between the two of them. It was done very well and I think warranted five stars all by itself. It was often used to lighten a tense moment, without making either character appear oblivious to danger or overly flippant. I did think Uther's timely arrival there at the end was a little too convenient, but by that point I was so afraid the whole thing wasn't going to wrap up and be a cliff-hanger that I has too happy to care.

After reading the book and Channing's bio I have to admit to feeling a little inadequate. Apparently she is an awesome writer with an awesome job. I would ask how any one person could be so lucky, but it would be naive to think that there is no connection. I am definitely up for reading another of her novels in the future.
on 4 September 2012
Okay, you caught me.....I'm not necessarily the target audience for this book. It's aimed squarely at the YA market and even with the best soft focus camera shot I could not be described as anywhere near YA - but bloody hell, I loved it!!

From the first page the story dragged me in and I just could NOT put it down!! I fell head over heels with Lucas, but I also have to pay my respects to Zee - one of the most likeable, least whiny young female leads I have come across in a long while. The story is well written and fast paced - with enough twists and turns to keep this old codger happy :)

I hope to all that anyone holds holy that this turns into a series - and if so I will be first in the queue to get the next one! 3 Cheers for Wynne!!
on 10 August 2012
Axelia is just a normal student, studying in Rome when she falls into a sacred well and emerges a vampire. If that weren't bad enough, her unique method of reincarnation as a preternatural creature was foretold in ancient vampire folklore and she is forced to go on the run, with only a grumpy vampire sword-smith for company, in order to avoid losing her life.

The folklore reminded me a little of Queen of the Damned but it's such a different style and focus that it's not really that big a deal. I haven't read a vampire book in ages and I found this one a refreshing return to the genre. Although there is a romantic element, it's not particularly strong and the story focuses more on the action, which is constant and vividly described. The pace of the novel is non-stop and I found the first half a real page-turner. I felt the second half became a little repetitive but there was development and it was still entertaining.

I thought the characters were well-drawn, even the incidental characters were fully imagined, although I would have liked to understand more about what was going on with Lucas - he was quite an enigma really and I think the relationship development between him and Zee suffered because of it. In some ways I think the story could have been slowed ever so slightly to allow for us to get to know them better. As Lucas himself mentions at one point: "You're going to live forever. Pace yourself." but I guess that would have spoilt the sense of urgency. Overall, an enjoyable light read.
on 20 June 2012
Wynne Channing's debut novel, "What Kills Me," is to die for. I'm not being cute here; this vampire novel kicks the you-know-what out of most other vampire novels out there.

The premise is original. The characters are well developed. The settings are beautifully described. The story is fluid and fast-paced. The action is almost non-stop, but never over the top. Most importantly, the series' potential is unlimited.

The main characters, Zee and Lucas, make you want to cheer. They're damaged, yet determined. They're also a great team, whether working in tandem to remove heads and limbs from enemies or supporting each other through a never-ending series of betrayals and heartbreak. Thankfully, Channing depicts how they deal with their burgeoning feelings for each other with style and finesse, instead of overwhelming the reader with endless prose about physical attraction and pseudo-narcissism.

The ending was one of the best I can recall. While bringing the story to a satisfying, albeit surprise, conclusion, the information revealed has the potential to turn the entire series on its ear.

I eagerly--but not very patiently--await the next installment.

I highly recommend "What Kills Me" for fans of YA, paranormal romance, and urban fantasy ... although I firmly believe it should be on the must-read list for anyone who loves great fiction.
on 9 June 2012
By Bwgan on behalf of Zasah 04

I have never written a review before even though I have read and enjoyed loads of books. I liked this one so much I felt I had to tell people about it.

I downloaded What Kills Me yesterday and I could not put it down. It was so easy to read and a definite page turner.
The way in which Wynne Channing wrote it made it very atmospheric resulting in the story being easy to visualize in my head. Even though it would be good to see the relationship between the two main characters develop Ms Channing thankfully hasn't ruined the story by adding a complicated relationship or love triangle like so many authors have.
The characters are believable and well rounded and the motivation and behaviour makes sense unlike a lot of authors. The plot unfolded at a smooth and good pace.
To sum up, the story was interesting, the characters believable and I really cared about what would happen to them.