on 10 July 2012
I have seen the band on numerous past UK and German tours and for this specific tour we chose the following night's Buxton concert rather than the York show at which they filmed this DVD. It has been an eagerly awaited DVD as a record of another wonderful UK tour.

Other reviewers have mentioned the extreme editing of the show, which I can understand their frustration particularly if they were present at the show. There was a significant amount of jokes and crowd banter from Candice and particularly Richie (who was very much in fine form) during the song intervals. I assume the reason for the editing is that they have chosen to focus on the more recent songs from the last two albums on the set (with the exception of Fires at Midnight which they slightly reworked) and hence the reduced running time.

So what do we get: an absolutely crystal clear blue-ray picture of the concert with so much detail and wonderful deep rich colours. The DTS 5:1 sound is mind blowing. First job is to adjust the sub-woofer volume down, even if like me, you like excess bass in the mix. It is very easy to damage the ears and any free moving object in the room. The 5:1 mix is not too elaborate and all the instruments are clear within the surround-soundstage without any sonic gimmicks. OK it is not on par with being present live at one of their shows but it is still extremely impressive to the ears.

Very predictable as I am an veteran Purple/Rainbow fan the stand-out favourite parts of the concert are when the Stat comes out in The Circle and Journeyman. It appears from what I can remember from the Buxton show the electric guitar solos in these two song were extended for the York video. However, the whole concert is very good and I do not think there is a bad song on the release. I still love watching Richie Blackmore playing any type of guitar/renaissance instrument. He appears so happy in this band and his enthusiasm for playing is still very much in evidence.

The band seem to improve every time I see them. However, I do miss Sisters of the Moon, I felt they laid down an extreme melodic sound-stage and complemented the wonderful lead vocals of Candice so well. However, the band have adapted well and continue to mature playing as a solid unit. Every new member coming into the band continues to be a very high calibre musician. The violin on this DVD sounds brilliant and has become more pronounced in the songs over the last two albums with the arrival of 'Gypsy Rose' .

To conclude, I gave it four stars for what's present rather than what's not and I recommend this blue-ray version particularly for established fans. However, if you are new to the music of Blackmore's Night and what to see what all the fuss is about, I recommend you purchase the Castle of Dreams DVD first. Although its older material it gives a much more in-depth overview of a brilliant band than does this release.
on 7 July 2012
Despite the many CDs and DVDs that I have purchased from Amazon, this is the first time I have felt compelled to add a review. I too was at this concert and can confirm that it was a magical night with excellent music with a few laughs thrown in, Ritchie conversing with the audience no less. The DVD does not convey that warmth that the band have with their fans, particularly those who take the trouble to enter into the spirit by donning the garb. The running order has been severely edited with the old favourite Home Again being condemned to the rubbish bin and weaker tracks introduced. I still rate the effort as they are a very accomplished set of musicians and Candice's voice continues to amaze me but why, oh why did they not leave the concert as it was and treat everyone to a what was a very special Blackmore's Night.
88 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2012
I could understand why people who were at the concert would prefer a complete live show. As I live in an isolated city in the far reaches of the world, to me this DVD is well represented with more new songs from their last two albums. It compliments the last two DVDs like "Castles and Dreams" and "Paris Moon" and made an extended updates on the live collections. I am happy.
on 8 April 2016
Once more the sweet voice of Candice & Richie with the minstrels shine forth with another good
album just fantastic
OK many fans will already have this album, but my collection is growing fast....
some songs I have not heard before but they are very nice and played live on this CD is a treat
to hear thanks to Blackmore's Night....
Worth Five Gold Stars & worth every penny to buy for those thinking of buying this album..
Just so you know that I am half way through playing this album and it is just....WOW WICKED FANTASTIC..

NOW I must say a Big Thank You to AMAZON for such a fast delivery ordered this morning 08/04/2016
and got it at 6-15 same evening Fantastic service Thank You AMAZON

Truly a must have album if you like this music and Blackmore's Night
from
SATAN
review image review image review image
on 11 July 2012
Its not the full concert, but who cares. Ritchie on top form , but sad that that Malcolm has now left as their long standing drummer, that being his last tour. The blu ray quality is very good and the sound far more superior to the bass heavy Paris Moon . For me it still captures the magic of the night and memories of that scorching weekend in york, also the stressed out look of some of the film crew in a nearby pub afterwards. Beer hard earned perhaps !
on 1 December 2012
I have been a huge fan of the man in black for 40 yrs. and his guitar playing is as good as ever. Whether you like this kind of music or not there's no getting away from the sheer mastery his instruments. Personally, being a fan i like to see everything thats released. A night in york is a superb dvd and gives you a good idea of the band live but the only problem with this is it has been heavily edited and a lot of material is missing which is such a shame as i saw the band twice on that tour and both sets were well over 2 hrs long.
All said and done well worth buying as you get the dvd and cd.
Castles and dreams and Paris moon are also well worth a watch
on 26 May 2013
I REALLY ENJOYED THIS CONCERT FROM THE AMAZING BLACKMORE'S NIGHT. MADAM CANDISE SOUNDS LIKE AN ANGEL AND SIR RITCHIE'S GUITAR PLAYING IS UP TO HIS USUAL STANDARDS . IT PROVES WHERE THE TALENT WAS IN DEEP PURPLE. THE BAND
(THE MINERALS) ARE EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS & THEIR COVER OF THE BEE GEES FIRST OF MAY IS AMAZING. THIS IS A BELIGHT TO LISTEN TO FROM START TO FINISH .
on 11 July 2012
Although the CD is excellent sound wise, it truly lacks any depth regards the bands warmth and humour on stage. I saw the Swindon show last one on the tour and loved it.

The editing is a tad over zealous as at one point Candice starts talking and gets cut off mid comment . . . strange.

The one track I was really looking forward to and was slightly dissapointed in is First of May. Saw Candy sing this unaccompanied a few years ago in Yeovil and she was awesome, as good as Sarah Brightman's version and coming from a BIG long term SB fan that's a real commpilment. Found this concert version a little to worked on and polished to be truly appreciated.

In all - where is the rest of the concert - shame on you BN or whoever chose to give is only 50% of the show. Boo :-(
on 18 October 2015
I have been a Rainbow fan over the decades but Wow...this is one amazing album. Pure class from Blackmores array of guitars, the hauntingly beautiful voice of Candice Knight and her backing singer Elizabeth Carey = a unique musical masterpiece. The best best for me in over a decade.
on 17 July 2012
The best gig in 20 years !!!! and the album represents that. Sadly only a part of a much longer set, but if Ritchie wants to be Sir Galahad, on the evidence of his band and their brilliant musicianship, thats OK by me !!!! Candice is not bad either !!!!!!!!!!!!