on 10 April 2013
I now have four of these Helly Hansen warm freeze tops in different colours. I previously bought Craft baselayers and was very happy with them until I bought my first Warm Freeze and I have hardly worn my Craft baselayers since. The quality is superb and although the merino outer layer is bonded to a synthetic Lifa inner layer there are none of the odours that are so often associated with synthetic baselayers after a day of physical exercise. The tops run slightly small compared to my Craft baselayers so I had to move up from L to XL (I'm 195cm tall with a 110 cm chest) but the arms and back are long enough for my 6ft 5" frame and the neck fits very neatly (I normaly wear a 16.5 neck in a shirt) . During the past couple of very cold, dry months here in Scotland I have worn this top plus a gillet while running or cycling and have never felt cold plus any sweat just seems to disappear. Very highly recommended
on 4 November 2011
I will be getting at least another one of these as I don`t want to ever take it off because it is so good. It has kept me as warm as three t-shirts would, but this is far more comfortable, breathable and non sweaty. 10/10
on 9 October 2015
Seems like a good quality product, provided in a nice box.

However, it was slightly too large for me, so I had to order the medium one. I am 1.82m tall and 80kg, so "Large" should have been a good fit. However, it was not tight enough/close to the body, so wouldn't probably be warm in that case. I have replaced it by a "Medium" one, which is much better (although slightly shorter than expected).

The sleeves are very long, which is positive. The zip/collar is quite tight on both sizes.

Amazon tried to charge me £6 to return the product ("Too large" reason), although I think the sizing is not right. Luckily, I managed to return for free just selecting another return reason...

In term of the quality, it's well made but quite thin. I went cycling by 10c (so not extremely cold), and it was not sufficiently warm by itself, under a windproof jacket, so a mid-layer would be still required in Autumn/Winter/Spring. However, it did stay dry.
on 4 September 2013
I do a lot of winter photography, so getting the combination of clothes in cold conditions is a must. I have a good fleece and just got a North Face Nuptse 2 down Jacket(I was using a Gelit last year), I just wanted to sort out a good base layer. After ALOT of research and recommendations from people at work, the Helly Hansen was the one to get.

I'm a well built 6ft 4inch chap, so I went for a XXL size. It fits spot on for me, the length and arm length is great and its NOT tight, but figure hugging as its supposed to be.

VERY happy with the top.

I'm even thinking about getting the Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Warm Pant for £42 to complete my clothing set up for this up and coming winter
on 29 December 2014
Beautifully made, nice and warm, overall great base layer.

Now onto further size clarification: I'm 6ft 1 tall, 40 inch chest, 16.5 inch neck, 88 kg (athletic build) and normally order a large for any top.
This fits well, arms and torso length are good, neck and across the chest is maybe a little tight. It's is meant to be a baselayer though and therefore tight fitting. Overall happy with the sizing. Maybe for a little more room would order an XL next time.

Hope it helps, probably just going to confuse you even more.
on 30 January 2012
The Helly Hansen 'Lifa Warm' top, is a well made garment to be expected from the Helly Hansen range. You certainly notice the difference from the HH 'Lifa Dry' when it comes to warmth, this makes the perfect cold weather base layer. No sweating due its breathability, and no prolems with washing as long as you dont wash over 40c - it is wool after all! As for size, get a size larger than you would for the 'Life Dry' range, I use a Medium in 'Lifa Dry', and found this top in Large to be the same snug feel that i am comortable with - only exception is that this will not stretch as much, not a problems for me, but if youre larger then you may need a 2 size difference.
on 13 November 2010
Does everything it says on the tin.Buy 1 size larger than ur norm though as they are a tight fit and 1 size up will fit you perfect.I took this advise and it fits perfect.Lifa and merino,great combo even better than merino only and much cheaper.Dont know about £55 rrp but if you can get it cheaper a v-good buy indeed..
on 7 September 2014
The body & sleeve lenght and good in X large for a tall person. However the width across the shoulders could be a little wider . At present the neck is tight fitting because of the shoulder width being a little short. This brings tightness around the neck; for some this may be acceptable but it makes it irritating for those who would like a less restricting fit. Because of this and having been disappointed with this XL purchase for the reasons mentioned I decided this time to go up a size with a further purchase ( Ebayed this one). The result was much more comfortable in the XXl size yet still body huggingly warm Otherwise great tops and good value for money.
on 2 December 2015
I really like this base layer, it has kept me very warm on the golf course so far, so much better than the usual golf branded golf base layers.
my only quibble is that based on many other reviews I went with a size bigger and although it is only slightly bigger than I would have preferred my normal size because as with most base layers they should be tight to the skin to get the best out of them.
In case it helps others I am 5ft 8in reasonably athletic with a 42 chest size, I would normally wear a large but went with xl, as I said before it is only marginally big but I will buy large next time
Hope this helps
Great product
Would buy agin
on 14 August 2014
Simply the best top of its type I own. I can't speak highly enough of it. I have around seven tops from three other leading competitors, a few that are very slightly cheaper and a couple that are more expensive... This top grabs those other tops, laughs at them and then uses them for dish cloths.
The Helly Hansen Warm Freeze kept me warm on the Cairngorns in winter and warm in Sweeden where I was Nordic Skiing... In both situations others with me who had different makes on got cold, I didn't. It was great as a single layer when I cycled from John O Groats to Lands End, and was awesome when I ran in a very muddy and wet Adventure Race. I have two of these now. Tough as boots, comfy, looks good, warm when wet and has lasted extremely well being abused walking with rucksacks, crawling through mud etc. This one, and the no zip version are my tops of choice and I will be buying it again. Well worth the money.

See one answered question