Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 21 February 2013
This is not a training book per se, but it is a mix of interesting facts and lots of detailed research information on the 3 'f's' in running: footwear, form & food. There is plenty of information on relevant scientific research which proves or disproves commonly held ideas around running and fitness. The thoughts and research information provided by the 2 authors will definitely make you think about your training and running form - I just wish this book was available 20years ago when I started my running!!!

Highly recommended for those who have an interest in all things running and for those who wish to improve their style and run injury-free.
on 1 July 2012
This book is a mix of great narrative, interesting facts, and lots of detailed information on running form. Most importantly for me, the authors provide information on the scientific research which has proves or disproves commonly held ideas around running and fitness. A page turner, even for a recreational runner like myself. Some of parts on the history of shoes and running are interesting for non-runners (no really!)
on 10 June 2013
This book started really well, the back stories of the writers and how they really got into running, were interesting and easy to read. I enjoyed reading about one of the author's love for his Nike Frees and Vibram five fingers, which are what I own too.

Whilst there was a lot of interesting information in the book, at times it felt a little dry.
on 26 December 2012
Good book, not quite what i was expecting. I was impressed with how the information was laid out whilst not pushing too many opinions that everyone should go barefoot an those that dont are wrong. Very good read, especially the history of the running shoe chapter

Would recommend
on 27 November 2012
Must read for all runners. Some of the information in this book is fascinating. I can t say enough positives about how this book has affected my running : )
on 10 August 2013
As I was about to be anaesthetised for wisdom teeth removal I noticed one of the Drs wearing a pair of vibram 5-fingers. I was clutching Running with the Kenyans at the time and couldn't let the observation of these unusual shoes go unnoticed - he recommended Tread Lightly. This book is a fascinating insight not just into the history of running, but running shoes, and shoes themselves. It takes a scientific approach to running shoes and whether they contribute to running injury. I think the authors do indeed 'Tread Lightly', and carefully, and leave the reader to make up their own minds. From a personal point of view I have been running with minimilist shoes for the past few weeks and feel revolutionised as a runner. I would also reiterate the point made again and again that anyone making this transition after 'normal' shoes should do so slowly!
on 25 August 2013
This book is a interesting book for every one who has been in the running equipment specialist store and has been testet to find the the "perfect" running shoe. It presents a lot of interesting facts about running, barefoot running and running shoes etc.
on 18 October 2014
I enjoyed this book. Gives a very good introduction to minimalist running and a short history of running.
on 19 July 2013
I have read 1/2 way through the book now and it's all about the history of sport shoes. How it all came about that the majority of people run in "ski books".

If that's what you are looknig for, it's the right book. For me it was a disappointment.