• Four

Customer reviews

Four
Format: Audio CD|Change

Sticking my neck out here I have to confess to really liking Bloc Party's 'electronic phase' showcased on third album Intimacy, but I also find their constant drive to produce different sounding albums extremely refreshing, and therefore it's great to hear some proper rocking (Kettling/Coliseum) and more conventional guitar-based pop (Day Four), alongside more recognisable BP tunes such as Real Talk and 3x3. As other reviewers have commented, this album is quite hard to pin down, even after several listens, but it certainly shows a band at ease with themselves; both lyrically and musically, and willing to forge a sound that may alienate some fans but will assuredly move them along creatively and win many more.
on 28 August 2012
This is an absolute beauty. All of the things that have made Bloc Party such an original and impressive band for several years are all raised a notch on this outstanding latest offering. The drumming and basslines are laden with hooks and take you on all sorts of magical journeys. The guitar parts weave and crunch with beautiful brilliance. The harmonies add space and texture. Kele's social stories are compelling and the emotional songs are full of absolute beauty. This is a must-have and it is crazily stunning value at £2.99 - buy it NOW and let this album remind you how exciting, distracting and enjoyable music can be!!!
on 2 November 2012
I pretty much loved Bloc Party from the very start and Helicopter in particular was played over and over. I think they're one of the few properly decent British bands of the last ten years. Nowadays I think of Silent Alarm as a collection of amazing singles and A Weekend In The City as an intensely personal confessional album. Intimacy is hands down my favourite because it's NUTS!

There's nothing on Four that will induce the Bloc Party rush of old but it could ultimately be the most rewarding album with repeated listens. Best to let it just wash over you as nothing stands out at first. It is very stripped down and the studio chatter brings to mind Let It Be of all things!

For me the back to basics style is absolutely in sync with these credit crunchy times and it is really good to have them back.
on 25 August 2012
I really struggled with Intimacy to start with - couldn't understand what the fuss was about - a slow burner that eventually I loved. So, was cautious about this one, hearing some of the reviews, as it was a change again. But I love it. 3X3, Octopus and Real Talk just superb. Kele's voice is simply awesome.
on 10 November 2012
After only a couple of listens I was not exactly blown away by their 4th effort. But then I wasn't disgusted by it either.

I think the problem is that I, much like many other people, have got used to a certain sound from Kelly and the others. And Four doesn't fit this sound at all. I have a feeling it will be one that grows on me after a break and a listen or two more.

Overall, not that disappointing and well worth buying.
on 31 October 2015
A good album, better than their previous, but not as good as "A Weekend in the City".
on 14 April 2017
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2016
Missed this upon release got it now and is a very good album
on 13 November 2012
If you are a fan of Bloc Party's earlier albums, you might notice that this album brings out a lot of change.
Personally, I like some music that goes towards hardrock (in the lines of early Linkin Park) and this certainly reminds me of that genre.
However, they clearly keep their "Bloc-Party-ness" with their quirky sounds and well-placed beats.
on 14 March 2014
Given as a birthday present, it is mostly played "In Betweeners" style in a tiny bright yellow fiat at some speed!