Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.48

on 27 June 2014
A really stunning book, with a fantastic mix of medieval history and fantasy. Left me utterly surprised in a truly brilliant way. Best book I've read in a while (which is really saying something, coming from me!)
on 10 July 2014
Grabs you right from the start very well written. Will bye more of Delle's books
on 20 January 2013
Enjoyed reading this book in a nice mills and boon kind of way. Standard strong woman wants strong man. Both fight against love then sex by numbers scene. Eventually love conquers all. Shame really as it could have we been built up to a decent story with some history thrown in.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
...the sex scenes alone are worth the purchase of the book. Toe curling, appallingly written and therefore absolutely hysterically funny. I recommend this book just on those!
on 21 October 2013
Well I enjoyed it, no doubt. It was easy reading, the characters were interesting and had plenty of dimensions, and the historical detail was great.
I was drawn in by the set up of a half-faerie heroine who has never quite fitted into her `place' in society, and the independent minded knight Phillippe who has a dark secret to hide.
For me, the best part of this novel was the dialogue, especially in the latter part, and I will probably read more by this author.
Why not 5 stars? Because I found the tale just a little too long, despite the pace being quite even. Perhaps another edit would have tightened it just that bit, and also picked up on the incidences of repeated words that were rather distracting.
And I'd have liked it better if there had been more foreshadowing of some of the rather convenient revelations that were crucial to the resolution.
Overall, a recommended read for those who love historical romance with a paranormal twist.
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I selected this book initially because I was just looking for a romance, with a bit of fantasy for good measure. I was not expecting the quality of writing that this book proved to be.

The first thing that you notice is the time period that the book is set. Unusually, the author has chosen the reign of William Rufus, whom I think is a bit hard done by as novels go. The little touches tell you that this author has done her research into the period: accurate descriptions of the castle walls, language that fits the period. This is a mistake made far too often by American authors, so the fact that Delle Jacobs did not make this mistake means I would probably read more of her work. She clearly has a good understanding of the role of a lady during the reign of William Rufus, in terms of how they would manage a household. Details such as the time of year that it is best to collect leaves for using in clothing dyes also speaks of a good level of research.

But, when it comes down to it, this is a romance. So does it work? I think it does. The Peregrine, our male lead, fears that if he loves a woman, he will end up killing her. Leonie falls for the Peregrine, but then comes to believe that he tried to kill her. To find herself thrown into marriage with him, at the King's order, in order to preserve her reputation, does not go down well. OK, so as a romance, you know it will all work out in the end, but I did not expect the way that Ms Jacobs weaves the fantasy and the romance elements together. Without wanting to put in any further spoilers, she does so with a twist that highlights one of the fears of the people of that period.

The side story of the boy, Sigge, and his dreams is quite touching. I do like the fact that the author manages to find a good ending for him, but still stays in keeping with the attitudes of the period.

Overall, this is a well written and well researched book. It is certainly one I will be keeping.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the second Delle Jacob's book I have read having just finished reading Loki's Daughters which I really enjoyed and whilst I enjoyed this book I thought Loki's Daughters was that little bit better but that's just my personal opinion. A few other reviewers have commented on the book being a bit slow going at first which I agree with but I actually liked that pace as it set the scene, explained the characters etc and actually once the book 'sped up' I found it a bit rushed especially from the Summer Land point. I really enjoyed the book and if you like historic romance then this book is for you and as one other reviewer has commented the author has certainly done her homework which you don't tend to see a lot of. A really well written historical romance with steamy love scenes and just a touch of the supernatural thrown in:)

The main female character is Leonie of Bosewood who has a secret that she is half faerie and half human (faerie from her mother's side) and because of this she has extra abilities that humans do not such as excellent skill and aim in archery, night sight and healing powers; the last two she hides and the first archery skill everyone just believes that she is very skilled.
The main male character is Philippe le Peregrine who despite being the King's right hand man also has a secret that he holds close to his chest in that when his first wife was murdered by the evil sorcerer Clodomir he was cursed that any woman he loved would die at his hand therefore he has chosen a solitary life and vowed that he will never marry or fall in love...... until his King orders him to marry Leonie of Bosewood following an attack on her in the woods near her Uncles home. Leonie runs and Philippe must find her and ensure she is safe lest the same fate befall him from his King. Can Philippe find Leonie and can he marry her but keep his heart to himself to save her from his curse? If Leonie is found can she hide her Faerie secret lest she be accused as a witch and burned at the stake?

Loki's Daughters Jacobs, Delle ( Author ) Sep-11-2012 Paperback
Fire Dance Jacobs, Delle ( Author ) Sep-11-2012 Paperback
VINE VOICEon 19 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Delle Jacobs has such a graceful writing style that even when she's peddling junk, she almost tricks you into believing her story shall go somewhere interesting even as your head tells you that you should know better. Above all, her minor fictions aren't as painful as some of the duds being thrust on the paying public by Montlake Romance. Alas, her Faerie is just a hodgepodge of way familiar tropes and gimmicks that, despite having the added benefit of sympathetic characters (which is were Jacobs excels the most!), is only ever going to be an acquired taste -- and even if I wouldn't call it bitter, I still can't quite stomach it. For me, her Loki's Daughters was a much more interesting book, with historical themes that worked despite repetition and some unbelievability. With this one, I found nothing worth latching onto and the memory of it is evaporating quickly.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought this book was just going to be a fantasy novel - I didn't notice it was to be published by Montlake Romance. Oh well, I thought, now I've got it, I might as well read it. Once I got past the pasionate clinches I quite enjoyed it!
The tale is set in 11th century England, and tells of the turbulent relationship between Leonie of Bosewood and one Phillippe le Peregrine. Now Leonie is shy around Phillippe, which makes it hard enough, but she's also half Faerie (yes, they've spelt it that way) so she has special powers - she can outshoot Phillippe with a longbow and humiliates him by doing so. Phillippe, meantime, is under a curse that any woman he loves will die by his own hand, so he can't allow himself to get involved. So of course he does, and this causes all sorts of mayhem.
Add in a "Hag", a dog, Ilse, with special powers (including flying), various monsters, sorcerers and shades and you have a book that travels at a fair pace. The characters are quite well written, but are beset by doubts - "Does he/she love me?" and that sort of thing. And the author makes an attempt at an 'Olde English' feel by chucking in small archaic words - 'haps' for 'perhaps' and so on. It doesn't work very well, perchance.
So yep, if you enjoy bodices being ripped and manly shafts and stuff, this could be for you!
on 9 July 2014
I sort of liked it. I like mystery books with some added peril and a little bit of romance (not too much or I'm bored). It started off OK with me, there was a bit of mystery and some peril but I soon got fed up with Philippe le Peregrine, the leading man. His "shaft" interferes a lot with the story. Its either engorged or throbbing or moving or doing something. I found it distracting. I thought the book was an easy read though and I'd probably give it 2.5 stars.