on 9 April 2016
The BBC Review accompanying this album states; "This profoundly personal album is unlikely to woo passers-by, but loyal, long-time admirers will adore it". Well, having never listened to MCC until now, I would probably qualify as a "passer-by" and I love it.
Written and recorded, I believe, at a very low part of her life, with family bereavement, illness and separation being the catalysts, I feel this album is a masterpiece. Some artistes are well-known to be at their best when hit by these life-changing events, and this album contains such intense emotions that the completion of it must have been hugely cathartic to Ms CC.
True, it can be dark, and if you're expecting something bright and breezy, it may be best to look elsewhere for your entertainment. But in my case it's gone directly into my top 5 albums in this genre.
on 13 June 2014
This is the album - for me - where Mary feels back on top of her form and supremely confident of her own talents, without ever sounding smug or self-satisfied. She knows better than to do that. In a way it's a one-idea album - you can't change your past, don't beat yourself up about it, but you can't prevent memories resurfacing - but all the songs are deep, genuine and heartfelt. I hear she's doing an album and tour with an orchestra. That may be because she feels she's taken her small, intimate band sound as far as she can, at least for a while and that may be true cos she's certainly put the band to best use here. Mary's disarming contralto voice has got deeper with age, but she sure does it for me! A huge talent who got better - and sexier - with the passage of time.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 May 2017
Discovered Mary Chapin Carpenter only relatively recently, hearing "Stones in the Road" and fell in love (yet again!) Been playing catchup ever since and have not regretted any of my purchases.
I guess liking her voice and singing passion with clear diction etc., means that this album scores well with me.
I am not a pseudo-intellectual, therefore will not comment on lyrics or recording techniques, I just enjoy all music of all genres and choose music to suit my moods and what I am doing at the time.
Just buy it and enjoy it.
on 3 November 2016
MCC albums tend to be musically similar and if you like one you'll probably like them all (although personally I don't care for Come on, Come on - which is jarringly up tempo). Ashes and Roses wears those same comfortable clothes, although like Stones in the Road it sits a little above the rest. Overall it's my favourite MCC, thus the five stars, although by a head and not a country mile.
on 16 March 2017
Musically will sound comfortingly familiar to Mary's devotees (amongst whom I count myself). Didn't feel it to be quite as angst-ridden as some commentators and a welcome bit of additional material for my lengthening in-car MCC mp3 disc! Nice sound quality.
on 4 April 2014
This is a really lovely album, full of well crafted songs which are beautifully played and produced. While it might seem a liitle introspective and downbeat to some, for me, it stands up well to Mary's better known and more succesful albums. My favourite track is "Chasing What's Already Gone". If you fancy a listen before you buy, there are a number of the songs on YouTube and extracts from the excellent series' of Transatlantic Sessions.
One person found this helpful
on 17 November 2014
As always a brilliant album of songs penned by MCC. We can all relate to the words that feature. If you have never listened to MCC I strongly suggest this is where to start. This is not background music, give it your attention and listen to the lyrics there is a message there for most of us.
on 26 May 2015
perhaps the best of Mary Chapin Carpenter - there is some variety in the different songs ( I had begun to think that the tracks on other disks were a bit similar perhaps too similar - but this is better .
on 20 February 2018
Love her music.
on 19 January 2016
Product as described and am very satisfied with the product and the dispatch from Amazon.