Format: DVD|Change

on 24 July 2012
I loved the first series of Black Butler, but I had seen mixed reviews on Season 2 so I wasn't sure whether or not I would enjoy it as much.

We have new characters here, Alois Trancy and his butler Claude Faustus, and the first episode focuses on them and the Trancy household a lot. But fear not, Sebastian and Ciel are back, as are all of the Phantomhive servants as well. Alois is a character you'll love to hate, but as more of his backstory is revealed throughout the series, he comes off as a bit more sympathetic, but not by much.

My fears were unfounded, the second season was just as good as the first, if a bit shorter. The DVD set has all of the episodes of season 2 as well as 6 OVAs. After having watched all the episodes and the OVAs, if I was watching it again, I would watch the Ciel in Wonderland OVAs before watching the first episode of season 2, that seems to be a more natural bridge from the end of the final episode of season 1 to the new series.

The artwork is gorgeous as ever. I've only listened to the English dub so far, Sebastian's voice actor, J. Michael Tatum is the best of the bunch, I think but the others were fine too.

My only complaint, was that I wish it was longer.
22 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2012
If like me you loved the first series of Black Butler then you'll love this one. It starts off by totally confusing you, because at the end of the first series Sebastian was set to eat Ciel's soul. In this series Ciel is back, just as he was,and your left thinking "so just what the hell happened?" But the story soon picks up nicely and you find out just what went on and it makes the waiting and confusion worth it. Although not as long as the first series it is as long as it needs to be, if they'd done more episodes then they'd of run the risk of spreading it too thin. The story that's told in the 12 episodes is a good one and better to have a good short story then a bad long one. But you do get 6 OVA's on a separate disk, which are pretty good (one in particular) It arrived within the estimated delivery date. All in all 5/5.
on 6 March 2013
This is the whole 2nd series of 12 episodes, with the 6 episode special's.
The Speical episodes on one disk should be watched really before you head on with watching Series 2. They are a little messed up but most of them are so funny I ended up crying with laughter!
So if you bought the 1st series and are wondering where the story can realy go after that ending... well... it does carry on, a little strange but well worth it ^_^.
on 12 June 2015
Very happy, got here on time, i would recommend this to any anime fans but make sure you get the 1st season. I love black butler and love that i can now watch it any time i like. thank you so much =)
on 9 April 2016
It's black butler. It's awesome. Even if some folks say this season is not cannon I adore the ending of it.
on 25 October 2015
great item for a great cost, this was totally worth it, the delivery was fast and the cost was a bargain for what it is, thank you.
on 2 April 2017
Ideal for the fan.
on 3 February 2017
Good
on 12 December 2014
My daughter loved it.
on 20 February 2014
Fantastic choice as the dvd's support the series of books. Something that my daughter has watched over and over again!