on 6 June 2012
I don't usually write reviews (this is my first). I usually go for the SF space opera gendre but I have to say I really enjoyed the Wool series. The author builds and exploits a believable brave (grim) new world. It's SF but it's nice when the concept is credible. I liked the characters and I liked the concept of playing mind games with what remains of humanity. Some interesting ideas and twists. Plenty of scope for the series to go on I would think.
on 19 June 2016
Could not put it down........Clever, well written and fresh......
on 26 April 2015
Excellent book very different....can't wait to start the next one
on 2 June 2012
Wow! This is one of the 3 best books I have ever read (the others being Nightfall by Asimov and Silverberg and War of the Worlds by HG Wells). Here is a classic in the making. You actually get a good feel of what life is like in a silo, the frustrations, the cameraderie. I couldn't put it down and then bought the prequel, which is brilliant too. Now my mind is hungry for the sequels. Bring them on Mr Howey. This would make an excellent tv series.
on 25 January 2013
Brilliant story, set in a totally believable world - there is such depth to the characters and the way the ripple effect from one affects another. Cannot praise this novel highly enough. Some of the scenes has so much tension you were reading on the edge of your seat. Some of the reviews below do contain mild spoilers so I'm glad I hadn't read too many before purchasing - was definitely better to let the story unfold. Really looking forward to more from this writer.
on 5 June 2012
Holidaying, and finished the 'Hunger Games' (dont really understand the hype), and this came up on recommendation list. Downloaded the sample, got hooked and downloaded the whole thing.
It is a great read, hugely detailed, great plot, and utterly unputdownable.

The bigger questions that the storyline asks are equally relevant to today's (big?)society in my opinion.

It is one of the best reads in recent years for me.
on 22 June 2013
If you enjoyed the Hunger Games you'll love this. Wool explores some of the same themes as the Hunger Games: Conspiracy and the heirarchy of society. Written with skill, Howey manages to keep the reader totally enthralled and in constant suspense. You are transported to another world - the world of the Silo and he makes you believe every single word. Scary and unforgettable -Cant wait for the third book in the trilogy - got in on pre-order!
on 10 January 2017
A bit long winded spending too much time going up and down silos
on 21 June 2012
All these books are superbly written with interesting characters and kept me gripped from start to end. The first story is a very good stand alone story with an excellent storyline. After that the stories are not stand-alone, but chapters following on onto another, so stories 2-5 really are 1 big story, with the end at the end of no 5. That said, it doesn't make this fascinating world any less readable. I'd really recommend these books.
on 18 December 2014
Great read. Pulls you in deeper and deeper until you're hooked!