Customer reviews

on 11 January 2013
I didn't think it was possible to come at the vampire genre from a new angle any more, what with the numerous books already out there. However Paul Ross has managed to do this and has created an interesting and intriguing story.

I liked the idea of the woman being the vampire lead for once and loved Thorn's strong characteristics. I also enjoyed the fact that the book approached the vampire theme from a new angle by using a science/experiment theme to link and introduce Jonathan and Thorn. As well as this, the action in this book was great! I love books that go into a lot of detail during fights and I could picture the scenes really easily.

For me the start was a bit slow and it took a while to get into the main storyline but I understand that it is necessary for explaining the reasons for Jonathan actions later on in the book. I would also have liked more insight and development of Jonathan's thoughts about his revenge, for example during build up to it, as it sometimes seemed to happen too quickly and the emotions didn't always seem right, or a bit toned down sometimes. That might just be me though as I like the darker side of stories. Also throughout the book there are a few typos but they a minor and do not detract from the story in anyway.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. Although it was obviously going to be about revenge and some parts were quite predictable, I was not able to predict the ending, which was great. I liked the new take on the vampire theme and liked Thorn's personality. Like I said before though, I would have liked a bit more character development and insight into Jonathan thoughts about revenge as I believe it would just make engaging with the character slightly easier and interesting.
on 29 December 2012
The Birth of Vengeance was a fresh take on vampire, something few authors are capable of doing.

Jonathan wants nothing more to escape his past and put it behind him when he and his father move from Leeds (I actually squealed that part of this book was set in Yorkshire he hopes it will be start of a new life. things begin well when he meets Scarlett. he is instantly drawn to her but believes she is far out of his league he is surprised when she seems to want to hang out with him and more so that she could be interested him. things really couldn't be going better until he runs into a new set of bullies.

Jonathan first meets Thorn at his father facility, he had know idea that he had a vampire caged and even less idea that he as a serum that will temporarily give the user vampire powers.

Jonathan embarks on a journey of revenge. Revenge against the bullies in his present and the ones back in leeds. But Jonathan struggles with his decision and he is torn between day Jonathan who wants to go back to his old life and Scarlett and night Jonathan who wants to stay with Thorn and carry on his revenge. both believe there way is the correct way. but which will win.

I enjoyed the new take of the vampire story, I liked how Jonathan was able to get pay back for all the times he had been bullied and the revelations at the end was shocking
on 8 December 2012
The story creates a new spark to vampire tales and gives a new life to this genre. The characters are strong and there are plenty of twists and turns right up to the very end. What a relief to have the lead vampire as a female and the young adult struggling with life as male. This makes a change from the mainstream vampires books on the market.This twist to the standard relationship creates a new dynamic and leads to a dark tale.
on 11 October 2012
I read the book whilst on holiday. such an easy read with a gripping story line. Strong characters keep the story going from start to finish with plenty of twist and turns throughout. I cant wait for the next in the series.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 November 2012
It is an extraordinary concept,linking vampires with bullying.
The main character is a witness to bullying and later becomes a victim himself. The author shows the frame of mind of the person who looks away and does nothing. The guilt, self loathing and anger. At the same time he is feeling almost gleeful about not being targeted.
The second storyline features the creation of vampires. The obvious connection in this case is receiving the strength and power to not only subdue, but also being able to act upon those strong thoughts of revenge.
I think the chapters leading up to going into the facility could do with some editing. It is drawn out and the event of doing nothing and being a victim are quite similar in structure and contain superfluous details.
This is quite on par with a YA book, which is good and I think young people will relate to the story, especially the the bullying angle in schools.
I received a free copy of this book for my review.