Customer reviews

North Gear Camping Mono 2 Man Waterproof Tent Red
Colour: Red|Change
Price:£24.99+ £4.99 shipping

on 7 June 2013
I purchased this tent as a amateur to camping. The price was attractive and the reviews were great.....and it didn't disappoint. Having never put a tent up myself I found it very easy to assemble and only took me about 25 minutes to do (which I hope is quick). The tent was enough for two people albeit with a bit of a squeeze and the porch area to the front was very useful for bags and clothes although I would recommend buying a rug fr this area to avoid contact with the grass. We endured a period of torrential rain during our stay and the tent held it's own. There were slights sign of water wanting to creep through the fabric with a few damp patches here or there on the internal side of the tent but for the amount of rain we had and the price of tent I was very impressed with it's ability to keep us dry. A must buy for any amateur campers.
on 17 August 2016
Survived Glastonbury 2016 through a tonne of mud - great festival tent just be careful though as it is one sheet so if its raining keep stuff away from the sides! Took me about 10 minutes to setup and plenty of space for 1 person!
on 9 April 2017
easy to use for Duke of Edinburgh
on 5 July 2017
Happy
on 10 September 2012
I refuse to pay more than £30 for a tent so I usually buy one per year and get about 6 weekend trips on average then let the kids wreck it in the back garden during the summer holidays before binning it and buying a new one; although my last one lasted 18 months and 9 trips. I bought this particular tent for a weekend cycling/camping trip and erected it in my back garden a week before my trip to test and 'weather' it, something I have done with every tent I have ever bought. It absolutely poured it down after a few days and the seams let in water in all 4 corners. Problem with it is it doesnt have an outer shell/skin but then for 20 quid what do you expect? I have to say the rain that night was torrential and I wasn't sleeping in it anyway! I then bought an aerosol can of weather-proofing spray (fibrisil I think) for £5 and sprayed the whole can on the tent, paying particular attention to the seams. Result - went on my camping trip and it rained throughout the 2nd night but no leakage at all. In fairness there are not many tents on the market that would have survived the torrential rain that night on the test run without letting at least some water in and especially not one's costing £20; it did rain very heavily for 12 hours. It is easy to erect (although I have no idea what the 6 anchor lines were for as this tent doesn't need them!) and has ample space for me and my clothing/equipment. Could fit 2 people quite easily but only if you regularly share a bed together! And there wouldn't be an abundance of room for 2 peoples kit. Personally I always buy a 'Two Man Tent' for myself to use travelling alone as I like the extra space and this tent is ideal for me, the front porch is also excellent for storing footwear etc so you can keep the bedroom dry and clean. It packs down quite well and fits easily inside my 30 litre rucksack, probably weighs about 3 kg so not too much of a burden if you want the extra comfort at night. I expect it to last for at least 5 or 6 trips and that is all I ask, cracking value at this price but if you want something more upmarket and longer lasting then maybe its not for you. At £20 it meets my requirements amply and for the price of one night in a B&B its the gift that keeps on giving. I am a connoisseur of cheap practical tents and this one easily gets 4 stars from me, I am actually quite fond of it
33 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2016
The fact I'm writing a review on something I bought from Amazon is something im ashamed of. I may be ashamed but this has to be said for people to read and understand what I went through. So, it's a great day the birds are chirping and I'm getting ready for a festival, I look on Amazon and find this tent. Great reviews, cheap and quick delivery. I dish the money out and the tent arrives early! Perfect! Next day I decide to quickly set up the tent in my back garden to determine the actual size. The tent packed away itself was just bigger than a 2L bottle of Diet Coke which was excellent for me as id be carrying it a long way. Here's where my first problem came about; I popped the tent up to soon realise, this 2 man.. "TWO man" tent should have been named, "2 oompah loompa sized tent"

Not the end of the world I thought to myself. I'm just staying in it myself so it should be okay.

Arrived at the festival and pitched my tent. Pegs in. Ropes in. Door way up.

It rains on the first night... but don't worry!! This tent had great reviews about keeping water out... Fantastic absolutey no need to panic. BUT these reviews were so far from the truth. I may as well have left my tent and lay down in the middle of the Amazon river. I got soaked. There was literally no point being in that tent, the water just came straight through and filled the tent up. Tom Daley could have dived into my tent and still never reached the bottom of the gathered water. I was freezing and couldn't sleep. I actually recall lying there about 6am whispering to myself, "come on daylight hurry up" in hope I'd warm up. By using the word lying what I should have said was "curled up in a ball trying not to touch the sides of the tent position".

It honestly goes down in my history as the most disappointing purchase I've ever made. If I could give it 0 stars and pay £100 to forget the experience I would.

Don't buy this tent unless you are the size of a haribo sweet and live in a climate where rain never falls.
on 4 August 2014
This leaked constantly, even if it was just dew. One of the poles split and we were taking care, fortunately I had gaffer tape. On the one rainy day, we left the tent dry and secure and camp back to wet sleeping bags and puddles. I left it in the bin the next day.
on 24 July 2014
Excelent tent. enough space for 2 people and it worked good under rain.
on 7 August 2014
I bought this tent for a camping trip to Norway in late April last year. After merely two hours of moderate rain it was leaking at the seams, which only became worse on the second night. As a result I had to abandon the camping element of the trip.

I would like to emphasise that this tent is single skinned - no cosy inner chamber to help keep the rain and the cold out. This could be clearer in the product summary.

I was majorly disappointed and, after being reminded of the old adage 'you get what you pay for', will definitely be spending more on a bona fide tent in the future.
on 16 January 2015
Took this on my Dartmoor camping trip, very close to the start of Winter. Failed, failed big time. If you encounter heavy rain, this tent will not protect you, the rain came through the tent at a rate that created a small pool of water in hours. We had to take it in turns to wake up every hour and mop up the rain water. It also fails when it comes to protecting against the wind, the fabric on the door ripped our first night as the winds picked up. All in all, not again, never buying this brand of tent again!