TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 April 2014
Size: Single Band|Style: N300 Mbps Range Extender|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I`m a bit surprised by this - not because it doesn`t work or anything, but because it hasn`t actually improved the strength of my wireless signal at the furthest points away from the router in my house.

It is very easy to set up - I plugged it in a few feet from the router, pressed a few buttons, then unplugged it, moved it upstairs, and it reconnected quickly, with a decent connection.

Once it`s set up, you have two network names - the original one, and one with RPT at the end; and surprisingly the extended network is actually the weaker network upstairs in my house - four bars from my normal network at a range of twenty feet and upstairs from it, three bars from a couple of feet away from the plugged in extender.

So...it isn`t that it doesn`t work, it just hasn`t actually increased the range or improved the strength of my home network. I don`t suppose this is going to be the case with everyone, but it hasn`t really made any difference to me.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 25 September 2013
Size: Dual Band|Style: N600 Mbps Range Extender|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The short range of wi fi signals is a nuisance. I'd had previously purchased a range extender but that was single band and as my Netgear router is sending out signals on both 2.4 and 5 ghz this seemed like a good option. Set up was very simple. Press the WPS button on this device then on your router (assuming it has one) and give it a couple of minutes and they will connect. Ideally this is done with the two devices in reasonably close proximity. Then relocate the extender to where you want it send the signal from and again give it a minute or two and it will hook up to the router. I now have two different band networks available over a much wider area than before. The 5 ghz band is also delivering impressive transfer speed readings.

It's a neat and stylish device which just plugs directly into the wall socket and can then be left alone (though I must say I did think that mine was running rather warm).

I did access the configuration menu just to have a look at how easy it would be to configure if you don't have a WPS button on your router. It looked pretty straightforward. You might be able to access it wirelessly but usually initial set up like that is done with an ethernet cable connected - for which there is a little port on the side.

Just out of curiosity I wonder if this would also act as a network gateway so I plugged in a network attached hard drive and to my delight was able to access it without any problem. I've thus been able to relocate that device to another part of the house and reduce the clutter on my desk.

In truth I don't think the range of the 2.4ghz signal is as good as on my existing range extender - but there's not much in it so I think this is a very solid, well made and effective piece of equipment.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 26 June 2013
I have one room in my house that for some reason is a black hole for wi-fi, don't know why. It's not practical to run a length of CAT5 cable to the room from where the router is (downstairs in the hall) and I don't want to drill holes in walls, so until now I've been using a pair of Powerline Adapters to pipe the internet through. Still it would be nice to be cable free and make use of the 5GHz wi-fi on my new laptop.

This is where the Asus EA-N66 Wireless Gigabit Ethernet Adapter comes in. I have been using it in repeater mode and it means the room is now truly accessible. Setting up was relatively easy, though the included instructions were terrible. Don't let that put you off, the online documentation along with the installation wizard gets things quickly rolling.

The shape is a bit odd, so you have to think where it's going to be sited, but at least you can dim or switch off the lights.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 October 2014
My main use of these is to boost my 5Ghz network to reach all the rooms in the house. I bought 2 of these units one to cover the upstairs rooms, one to cover the garden. Signal strength indicators on the front help you locate them effectively and the built-in night light is a nice little touch.

The ones I received needed a firmware update out of the box which was easy, it improved functionality/options to optimise the networks. Within a few minutes I had configured both the 2.5 and 5Ghz networks. In the weeks since I installed them they've worked great, no issues and my kids can now use FaceTime seamlessly on their iPads all around the house.
on 29 July 2014
I had read in reviews before buying this that the set up instructions are not terribly clear - well they are and they aren't! Sometimes it seems that you are told where you will be AFTER you have followed the instructions which come later. Once this is realised all becomes very simple especially if you use the WPS button on the extender and on your router (if it has one). I plugged the extender in waited the suggested minute until the blue light came on, pressed the WPS button, walked to the router (say 3m away) pressed it's WPS button walked back to the extender by which time the blue light extended across the width of the extender. I then unplugged the extender and took it to the slightly distant location it is intended for and plugged it in. Switched on my iPad, changed the Wi-Fi setting from Asus to Asus_WPT (the address for the extender which the iPad had detected) and walked to the top of the garden Three solid bars as apposed to the previous 1 to 1.5 if lucky. Job done! All in all about 5 minutes work.
on 30 May 2013
This wireless Ethernet is designed to extend the Internet connectivity capability of your home via three different methods which I have described below:

1. Connect wired-only devices to your existing wireless network:
Perhaps you have a TV with Internet access, or a PVR or a Sky box and want their Anytime service. Since these systems only support wired access (they have a rectangular socket for an RJ-45 connector) you need a way of physically connecting that to your network. If your network is elsewhere (and often it will be a wireless network residing near your master phone socket or similar) then you would otherwise have to have a wire running round your home and making a mess. This router is able to connect via your existing wireless network and then allow a device to connect to the Ethernet port on the router. If you want to connect more devices you can add a LAN switch or hub to further extend it (often to 4 or 8 devices). Therefore the only physical wire (apart from mains power) is between the router and your device to be connected.

2. Connect a new wireless network to your existing wired network:
This is the main use I have for this product and will describe my thoughts further down. The idea is simple. You have an existing wired network (perhaps a BT HomeHub router, or other equivalent broadband or cable based network) which either does not have a wired network, or comes with a wireless network which is poor. The idea here is that you connect an Ethernet cable to between your existing router and this router and you can configure the Asus router as a new wireless network. I did this because my existing wireless router has poor range and doesn't support the latest wireless technology (technically called 802.11n which is the fastest wireless technology for home use, supported by most smartphones and laptops now, but not my old wireless router).
One point to keep in mind here though - if you are only using an existing wireless router to access the Internet it may not be worth upgrading to the latest technology. One of the main advantange of 802.11n is that it has much higher bandwidth varying from 50Mbit/sec to 600Mbit/sec, whereas 802.11g (the previous technology) goes up to 54Mbit/sec. If your Internet connection is say 30Mbit/sec (a basic BT Infinity or cable line would be of this scale) then having the better router won't improve that performance (it will improve other problems potentially such as interference from other devices though).

3. Extend an existing wireless network by improving the range:
You can also use this device to extend an existing wireless network which is a sort of combination of the two concepts above... it connects to an existing wireless network and using the same identifier (I think) it lets you reach that wireless network in places you could not to previously. This would be useful if, for example, your main wireless router is in your hallway but you want to access the Internet from the garden - put the router towards the back of the house and you should be able to use this for that.

In terms of installation, the documentation it comes with is hopeless. It doesn't even explain how to get started via each of the three modes above. Online documentation does help, although in fairness if you are able to connect to the router and start on the installation wizard it's all very well explained from then on. You can get started by switching the router on and finding the wireless network it sets up by default and then following instructions (you load up the web browser and it automatically finds the router a bit like accessing the Internet from a hotel room), or connect an Ethernet cable between a PC and the router and start that way. You don't have to do this where you plan the router to physically sit in the future - it's just to get the setup going. For wired connection, ensure you have DHCP enabled (so that it automatically works out what to do) and you should be fine.

The setup wizard is really good - select your mode and there's lots of options (including configuring the wireless signal strength). I've had a play with most of the features and I'm generally impressed, albeit with two big caveats.

The version I received (admittedly a review version) had the firmware from early 2012 and seems to have various issues (more of that in a moment). Checking the Asus website there has been 5 versions since so I'm disappointed Asus couldn't have sent out kit which I am assuming to be newer than early 2012 with more recent firmware. In theory the firmware upgrade is simple - download the ZIP file from the Asus website, uncompress it and follow the instructions on the Asus router's web interface to upgrade it. For some reason I couldn't extract the ZIP file on my PC and was only able to do so on a Linux machine... it's not a problem I've ever seen before although no-one else seems to have mentioned it so maybe it was me.

My biggest issue though is the version I have still seems to have an issue - Using the router as a new wireless network (option 2 above) I want to set the IP address of the router myself as well as the DNS servers (primary and secondary). In fairness this is an advanced feature and most users won't bother with it (if you don't know what I mean here please skip this paragraph and don't let it count against purchasing this product). Whatever I set the DNS server to, it seems to ignore it and instead sets the DNS server as the gateway for the router (which is also the secondary DNS server). This is a pain as I have a caching DNS server which also manages internal host names - this means I can't use this capability via this wireless network... installing the latest firmware hasn't fixed it.

Given the price and the claims of being the answer to all wireless network problems and yet not doing what I actually want I find myself wanting to give 3.5 but since I can't give half points I'm rounding this one down.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 May 2014
Is it just me that has trouble connecting up these divides. I had high hopes. Only one connector and the instructions looked easy. Followed the instructions and.....went to the webpage ...or rather it didn't. Ok lets try something else I thought and went to the Asus product page. great its there and FAQ how to connect. Now we are in business different instructions, more detailed and I am linking it in. Big smile...then 99% installation...and no more.

Think I might relocate my computers to the same room as the souter and use an ethernet cable....YAWN.

Update. After the "fun" in installing the range extender, it is working well. Giving it a 3 now but please get better installation instructions.
on 15 May 2014
This product is basically a repeater that boosts your wifi signal around the area it is placed. I placed it 15ft and two walls away from the router (also Asus brand) and was able to use my wifi an extra room away, through a brick wall. The signal was still 'good', instead of very weak - none when not using the extender. Vertically it allowed me an extra floor of use at the same signal strength.

Setup was relatively easy, the software does most of the work for you. The design of the unit is a bit quirky, but it isn't overly big or noticeable.

This item worked fine and added a bit of extra range, although it wasn't a spectacular improvement. However, unless you have a mansion ths should be enough for your needs.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 December 2012
Used this to connect my Sky HD box to the router as the Sky supplied wifi adaptor was dropping the connection. No more drop outs, 5 GHz wifi rocks! :)
on 14 December 2013
This is small funky looking device that has provided a fantastic boost to my existing Virginmedia broadband Wi-Fi hub. I set the Asus up by tethering it to my PC and using the set up wizard via the internet. It was very simple.

I set the Asus up in "repeat" mode, so it is connected to the internet via my existing Wi-Fi signal and then acts as an access point at the front of the house (my broadband connection being at the back of the house). Despite the Asus being 30 feet away, the Asus is so good that its signal strength at the back of my house is greater than my Virginmedia hub (unless I am in the same room as the Virginmedia hub). Unlike my Virginmedia hub, the signal strength doesn't drop out either. I can recommend it highly.