Customer reviews

Doctrine
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 May 2011
While I like all Pestilence albums, I have my favourites and least favourites. The first album, Malleus Maleficarum, was their death/thrash introduction, good stuff but only a stepping stone in my ears. It wasn't until Consuming Impulse that things started sounding really heavy and evil. Proper death metal, the way I like it. Then came their masterpiece, Testimony of the Ancients. My personal favourite, the riffs, god damn, the riffs! Spheres was the follow up and it was ok. No, it was good, but not as good as it could've been. I'll refrain from going into detail about these albums, you probably know them already! Then their was the come back album... some loved it, others hated it. Maybe to some it felt a little contrived? It did sound like a 'modern Pestilence', but it was still good because it didn't sound like a 're-hashed Pestilence' and I'd prefer have a modern sounding Pestilence album like Resurrection Macabre than a Pestilence that seems to be rehashing their classics or no Pestilence at all.

Now to the current album, the follow up to R.M, and boy, I did like R.M before, but after hearing Doctrine, it kind of shines a dark light on why R.M isn't good enough for a Pestilence album... Doctrine was said to have mixed the heaviness of Consuming Impulse, with the theatrics of Testimony of the Ancients with a clear modern element as showcased on R.M. Although in places this could've been done better, it does the whole mixing of previous records whilst staying fresh pretty well, and on the whole the riffs sound like the band have really gotten back into their groove and comfort zone, whereas maybe the last album seemed like they were 'getting back, but not quite there yet' leaving the final product sounding like a stepping stone to what they should really sound like (I'm hoping Death Magnetic is the same kind of thing for Metallica), one problem I have with Doctrine though is it feels too short! I'd take a few more brutal songs (with Pestilence type melody) here! Also, I'd like to hear a few songs like 'Land of Tears' again, the blistering riffs that eventually lead into a melodic solo, basically, something 'catchy' without sounding commercial like modern day Arch Enemy or something...

Anyway, great stuff and as far as the Godfathers of Death Metal & their new albums go, this ones better than the recent Deicide, Cannibal Corpse (E.P not KILL), etc. outputs. This has to be one of the better new albums by the old boys (along with Jupiter by Atheist). Kinda like how 'World Painted Blood' had an old-skool Slayer vibe to it, yet at the same time, was clearly modern (due both to production and certain elements of the song writing), Doctrine has both an old-skool and new-skool Pestilence vibe.

Five star for the modern day state of metal, four stars with the benefit of hindsight...
Overall, excellent album that starts with a freaky 'Celtic Frost' type speech intro, and closes with a crush!
This is their best since 'Testimony' for me!
on 15 November 2013
This guys recorded one of my favorite death metal albums of all times "Consuming.." so I always wanted to hear more of them. I have listened death metal for over 25 years so I do not get impressed easily by new recordings. Considering that Pestilence is an 80's death metalers gang I needed to hear more. I really got amazed since the very beginning with a really good intro and then slow technical riffing with the definitely Pestilence sound there. Songs are not very fast as in previous recordings (the band never really went to fast) so it does give you totally a new album from any other Pestilence previous work.

This is an album you have to really pay attention when listening, not catchy sound that you could enjoy when drunk or paying attention to your daily life. If you take your time, sit and relax and get a bit concentrated you will find an excellent quality album. Will give them 9.5 out of 10.

This guys did not record this album to gain any fame, attention or cash. They recorded this album knowing perfectly what they wanted to do. AWESOME

I am sure Evil Chuck is happy listening to this on his grave RIP.
on 12 August 2014
always digged this band from days of old, they dont change much, good hard hitting death, nice production, kicks ass
on 12 June 2011
Before I have heard this cd by myself, I had read a lot of bad reviews in the internet, that now i think that are unfair, because this cd it's pretty good, for sure it's different than the last Pestilence's album Resurrection Macabre, but I'm enjoying better this one...Try it, and decide for yourself...