on 27 June 2012
I've had the Samsung RF711 for about a week and am very impressed with it. It's well made, relatively light for it's size and the screen is lovely. The 8GB RAM and the i7 processor means this thing really flies along - I also purchased the Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD to go in the spare drive bay, swapped the OS across to that and it's now faster than a greased cougar on rails. If you're thinking of doing the same, don't bother with Norton Ghost (that comes with the SSD), use "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" which is available on download for about £12, well worth it - I spent 7+ HOURS with Ghost and other "solutions", and at the point of about to give up, I found someone else recommending Paragon.... downloaded, installed and OS swapped to SSD in 20 minutes, easy. £749 for the laptop, £149 for the SSD = £900 laptop, 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD / 1TB HDD / 1GB Graphics card / BluRay / HD+ screen... I don't think you'll find a better spec for that money.

So far I cannot find anything that I don't like about the laptop - I run Visual Studio 2010 & 2012 RC, SQL server 2008 R2, Photoshop CS5, it just breezes through everything.

UPDATE: 2 months down the line and I am still loving this laptop - the price inexplicably shot up for a while but is back down to < £750. A note about the screen - it's really very good. I was initially looking for a full HD screen, but the laptops that had these really didn't have the features that this thing has, and to be honest, I'm not missing squinting at the screen! I bought this laptop for development work and occasional entertainment, and it's not been found wanting in any respect. I've just compared this against a £1750 Alienware laptop we had in the office - the Samsung has more of everything and walks all over the Alienware in terms of speed... Happy Days!
1717 Comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 June 2012
I previously purchased a 15.4 inch Samsung RV511 (last year) with an Intel Core i5 processor and I was absolutely delighted with it. Having seen this laptop the RF711 advertised on Amazon at approx £200 less than that in a well known computer store, I had to take the plunge and upgrade.
Setup is very straight forward and reasonably quick. Connection to the Internet made within the first hour.
The extra two inches does make a difference (excuse the pun). There is an excellent user guide accessable from the desktop. The keyboard is very comfortable to use and the mouse pad appears more controlable than the one on my RV511 which was a bit skittery (my only complaint against the RV511).
The screen is very clear and bright however it is reflective and typing as I am at present with a window behind, you certainly notice the reflection. (I supose the answer is not to type with a window behind).
I absolutely love the separate volume controls next to the power switch and also the on off switch for WiFi and Blue Tooth which sits directly next to the power switch.
The inclusion of a Blu-ray Disc is another plus. Four USB ports, two of which are USB3 and one of those is a power port ticks another box.
Sound from the laptop is again much better than I had on my RV511 and as mentioned above, the inclusion of volume control and mute buttons is fantastic. There is a separate sound card which you will have to enable to ensure you can record through the card rather than through the microphone (microphone is the default setting).
So far programs open and run quite responsively. I have ordered a further 8GB Ram which I intend swapping for an existing 4GB module which will give me 12GB of Ram. I use Photoshop CS5 and it is my hope the laptop will cope with the extra Ram and will help in speeding up the program.
I have also ordered a 64GB SSD drive which I will install in the additional drive bay ... the additional drive bay was a really big selling point in my opinion. A hard drive case and screws are included. Again I hope this will assist in speeding up start up time of the OS and Photoshop and MS Office (I hope I have sufficient memory on the card). If this works then I might invest in a larger SSD drive in the near future (being my first attempt at using an SSD, I have decided to start small. If it doesn't work then I haven't invested too much). The existing 1TB hard drive is immense but you can never have too much drive capacity.
Watching movies on the RF711 is like having your own mini cinema in front of you however I would recomend downloading an additional movie player such as VLC Media Player or Div X which will allow playing of most video files.
The laptop casing is smooth (unlike the RV511 which was ribbed and easily scratched) and it does retain fingerprints however these are easily removed with a dry cloth.
Battery life appears good so far, however I have not really put the laptop under severe load yet.
I have had to invest in a new holdall to fit my RF711 in but, hey-ho, a small price to pay.
On the subject of money, the original price I was quoted by Amazon was £799 and I had to wait for re-stocking however prior to receiving my RF711, I noted the price had dropped to £749. I contacted Amazon to inform them I was within the seven days of placing my order and asked if I was entitled to a refund. I have to say I was very impressed with the response I received. The gentleman dealing with my request confirmed that I was and that the ammount was significant enough for them to refund my account. A big plus to Amazon.
Up to now, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I am also very happy with the service I have received from Amazon and I would highly recomend this laptop for those seeking a high powered responsive machine. I would also highly recomend Amazon as a seller based on the prompt curteous response I received from their representative.
2626 Comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 July 2012
Samsung RF711 17.3-inch Laptop (Black) (Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) I believe this is a great value laptop (GBP750) especially given what's inside. Core i7 with space for an additional hard disk and blue ray too - not bad at all. On receipt, I upgraded the machine to Win7 ultimate with no problems. I should have (and probably will) purchase an SSD drive to boot from, then reformat the second drive. Performance is overall good to great, especially on wake up. There are occasional and infrequent blips in foreground application performance but I put this down to slow internet connections, SQL server and other services running on the machine rather than the machine itself. Fill your boots!
on 16 August 2013
The laptop is great, it can run very intensive games with modest settings and the keyboard is well spaced for my big fingers.
However, the plastic casing is a little creaky and flexes in some places you don't want it to flex. The speakers leave a little to be desired, so I've taken to using an external one, which seems to be fine. The only really worrying thing is the heat given off by the fan at the back left corner. This thing gets HOT. To make sure that it doesn't overheat or melt or something I've placed two books underneath my laptop so that that area gets more air. This stops it from getting insanely hot when playing games for an extended period.
on 9 December 2012
Just the best I installed Microsoft Windows 8 Pro upgrade clean install and loved it very fast booting about 3 seconds and on the ++ side it will take two hard disks.( This is my best buy this year ).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 August 2012
The machine comes with a single 1Tb drive, an empty bay (very easy to access - one screw), and a fitting kit for a second drive. If you follow the advice in another review and buy a Samsung 256Gb solid-state drive, it is terribly easy to fit. You start the machine for the first time, do all the windows stuff until the machine is ready. Then you turn it off, remove battery and power, and install the SSD. Then restart the machine - it will boot as before. Then buy and download a copy of "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0" ($19.95), and use this to copy your hard disk to the SSD. Then shut down. Restart, and hit F2 to go into the BIOS. Change to boot from the SSD, save, exit, restart and ... Windows will boot completely in 9 seconds!! And clearly Samsung know that people are doing this all the time.

I have come to expect machines to be full of crap-ware. This one wasn't bad at all; only a couple of items to remove. It seems fast, solidly made by comparison with the Sony that I had before. A bit dull and generic, but no complaints.

The only thing that drove me mad, tho, was turning off the tap-to-click. You'll find that the Device Settings tab just is not displayed, when you try to customise the mouse! But I found that it appeared once I went into the hardware options for the mouse, and then restarted.

Minor niggles. But if you fancy putting your Windows and Programs on the SSD, and using the 1Tb drive for files, in a laptop, the Samsung is the one to get. It's just so easy. I don't do any of this stuff any more, and I was really tired when I did it, and it still all just worked.
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 August 2012
Excellent high performance laptop... Always been a HP user, but wanted to taste a bit of the now TOP electronics company. Blu-Ray, dreamy NVidia graphics with 2GB dedicated compared with its predecessor Samsung RF711-S07UK that only came with 1GB. My only disappointment came along with the screen. It's not Full HD. But good HD+ which sports great video and games "still" beautiful.

On the whole, the Samsung RF711 makes a good impression. The design is stylish and attractive without looking flamboyant and the workmanship is also acceptable. Moreover, you can even work productively with the laptop thanks to the good keyboard.
Owners of a large TV set can take delight in the HDMI port, which allows the laptop to be connected to the TV.

The Samsung RF711's speakers are acceptable. However, I would have liked to see a bit more quality for a multimedia laptop. The sound quality corresponds to the majority of current notebooks. It lacks basses and the speakers start to distort in high volumes. In return, the maximum volume is very appealing and is also suitable for occasionally filling a small room with sound. However, if you want to enjoy a BluRay movie you should connect an external sound system so that the sound and picture quality match.

The only drawback is the performance throttling during full load. Performance is wasted by the obviously too small power adapter. Therefore, you don't have to reckon with any restrictions during normal use. If you can ignore this point you could get happy with the Samsung RF711.
22 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 November 2012
Bought the Samsung RF711UK08 to replace a very well specced & upgraded Dell Latitude 800 c2004 6 weeks ago.
Nearest and dearest has a Galaxy S2 and we have a Samsung SmartTV so that helped the decision making process. Seamless integration between these items.
I have a custom built desktop PC which is a tad willy-fandango cos it does serious video editing - so I feel I can give a fair comment on this lappy in comparison.
IT ROCKS!

I have 2 issues - only 2 issues.
One accepts the speakers are pretty poor on all lappys of any kind so decent earphones or external speakers are always required.
Sound card can handle it so don't stress about it.

A) Setup procedure on first boot.
Partitioning the HDD is for people who know what they're doing.
If those with the knowledge wished to partition their drive they will.
Bit strange Samsung forces that decision on everyday consumers?
Potentially dangerous territory and unnecessary.
If you don't want to default partition your drive then read the screen carefully and dismiss the option. You only get one shot at it!

B) If this lappy came with an SSD big enough to hold the OS and future programmes - say 200GB+ then the 1TB HDD is for storage only and it would really fly.
I'll be upgrading this one very soon with an SSD (I have one on my PC so I know how quick they are!)

This lappy is about as good as it gets for general usage in the modern World.
Not perfect for specific usages yet perfect for almost everything of the general consumer kind.

The RF711UK08 is now superceded by another model.
Samsung should perhaps have just bunged an SSD into it and left it well alone?
Great 17.3" screen despite not full 1080pHD (does anyone care about that on a lappy? - you can always bung the output to your Plasma if you wish!), very quick on its feet, decent battery life for those on the move and a lappy to recommend to anyone.
on 28 August 2012
I did a lot of research before buying this laptop. What was I looking for? Big screen - this is 17.3, bigger than the 15.6 that a lot of laptops have. This was important to me, even more so than battery life, as it will spend most of its time plugged in. Second, it is 2nd gen core i7 - that's quad core and hyper-threaded (so it looks like 8 cores). Next, it has 8GB of RAM. Lack of RAM slows PC's down more than anything else, but 8 gigs won't have that problem. Finally, it has a 'proper' nVidia graphics card. It has a massive hard disk and Blu-ray, but these are the icing on the cake. TBH, I would prefer solid state HD, but you won't see that for this price and you can always add it later in the 2nd drive by.

This laptop was bought for my son who wanted to be able to play games on it and it has done a cracking job on every game he have thrown at it. Good frame rate on pretty much maxed graphics settings.
on 25 November 2012
I was searching for the ideal desktop replacement and this was it. Acer Aspire V3-771G comes close but is more expensive and only available with Windows 8 now! Didn't want to be forced to Win 8 yet. Not when the mastermind behind it leaves Microsoft after weeks of it's launch!!
Coming back to this product - uncomparable specs for the price. Elegant and sexy in appearance if you like BIG. Screen is quite crisp, though might not cut it for those who have tasted better. Keyboard layout is very comfortable after getting used to it. Only FAULT is no CAPS lock indicator. Num lock has a visual indicator. However if you turn on toggle keys in control panel the sound cues will overcome this problem.
The MOST IMPORTANT thing for me is the dual hard drive bays. The 1TB ?5400 rpm hard disk does not provide justice to a machine of these specs. Samsung has been very tactful here allowing and I think encouraging users to add on a second hard disk - obviously an SSD. Thus by keeping the price 'low' Samsung has allowed consumers to pick a SSD of their budget/choice and allowing for the dynamic technology in SSDs to be incorporated into this product.
'Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 256GB Notebook Accessory Kit with Free Norton Ghost 15' was what I added. Both products sold by Amazon and thus prompt delivery!. Halved my boot up time to about 30 seconds. Now this SSD comes with Norton Ghost which is supposed to help transfer your os to the new SSD without a problem. I have been using the old version of Ghost and thought of disregarding others comments and try to transfer my os to the ssd using Ghost. DON'T!! I am very grateful for other reviewers of this product and should have followed ALL of their advise. Ghost did not work and the SSD did not boot after data migration even after BIOS changes.
Use the laptop a few times to allow Windows 7 to donwload and install all current updates before you migrate your os to the new SSD. You can also use the provided Samsung Recover Solution to image your original drive (not essential).
Download and USE MACRIUM REFLECT free version and clone your disk containing the os to the new SSD. The capacity of the SSD should be larger than the data in the boot drive (transfer any personal data you have to a different partition if the capacity exceeds that of your SSD). The partition size does not matter. I transferred my OS from a 300GB partition with no problem. In this laptop there are 2 other partitions - system, and a recovery partition. Norton specifically states that the Recovery partition cannot be copied. I copied all three partitions to my 256GB SSD with a few adjustments of partition sizes to fit the SSD. Macrium Reflect free was able to copy all these partitions quite fast while the computer was running Win 7 and the SSD connected via the provided USB - SATA cable. SSD can be easily fixed to the spare bay (casing nuts provided with SSD) - all you need is a appropriate screw driver.
BIOS settings need to be changed before you boot up from the SSD. For the not so techie - press F2 on startup to enter BIOS settings. Under the advanced tab check if 'SATA GEN3 mode' is enabled and 'AHCI mode control' is set to Auto. Now move to the Boot tab. Enter the 'Boot device priority'. Use F5/F6 keys to move the SSD to the second position (leave the DVD drive as your first boot option). F10 to save and exit and VOILA you should boot to your new Windows 7 SSD in about 30 seconds.
Just an additional note. If you are not too desperate for disk space, leave the orginal boot partition. I used computer management to reduce the partition size to about 300GB and changed the drive letter. This is just a backup option. If you ever want a fresh installation all you need to do is go to BIOS and change the boot priority to your original primary disk and you will boot back to the original disk. You can also play around with this to admire how much faster your system boots with the new SSD. However, the best option would be to make a recovery media from Macrium reflect and make a boot image disk seperately. Treat yourself to this laptop this christmas - HO HO HO!!
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse