Top positive review
67 people found this helpful
Very fast & inexpensive USB 3.0 card reader
on 6 July 2012
I needed a fast USB 3.0 SD card reader to be able to quickly copy photos from the DSLR.
Couldn't find any speed reviews/tests but as the reader was very cheap, decided to give it a go.
Reader arrived within 2 days and as soon as it did, I tested it using the following hardware:
- USB 3.0 Laptop 1 (Sandy Bridge, i7-2677m - ULV)
- USB 3.0 Laptop 2 (Sandy Bridge, i5-2450m - slightly faster)
- Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/sec
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/sec
- Crystal Disk Mark, Sequential Read/Write 5x100MB
Sandisk Extreme III -
- Laptop 1 - 30.3 MB/sec read and 30.2 MB/sec write
- Laptop 2 - 32.0 MB/sec read and 28.1 MB/sec write
Sandisk Extreme Pro -
- Laptop 1 - 67.7 MB/sec read and 67.5 MB/sec write
- Laptop 2 - 78.4 MB/sec read and 71.4 MB/sec write
I also ran addition test to see how much USB 2.0 limits performance of the 95MB/sec card on the faster laptop:
- Laptop 2 - 32.5 MB/sec read and 22.0 MB/sec write
As you can see, USB 3.0 reader is over 2.4 times faster in reads and 3.2 writes, very good results for such inexpensive device, on par with much dearer Lexar/Sandisk!
All in all, it's well deserved 5/5, I can fully recommend this reader if you have a fast memory card, USB 3.0 PC and are tired of slower USB 2.0 speeds - copying full 32GB off the Extreme Pro 95MB/sec card through this reader will save you precious time if you're in rush, definitely worth the price.