on 27 May 2017
Fabulous , very fast and makes life much easier. I highly recommend this Starter then starter chimney .It lets the charcoal less than 3 minutes.
on 22 March 2017
Used product received have black charcoal marks all over, does not even have uk standard plug.
on 18 July 2012
This item has transformed my charcoal bbq. Instead of the traditional wads of newspaper or fluid or lighters, all i do is put down a base of charcoal, place the electric starter on top, place a layer of charcoal on top of the starter, plug it in and walk away....after about 10 minutes or so I have glowing charcoal and I can remove the starter. I can then place more charcoal on top if I want a hotter bbq. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It means I can bbq more often as it is so much more convenient and easy to use. One tip, because it does draw a fair bit of power, if you have lots of electrical things going the RCD switch can trip in the consumer unit. Just be mindful if you lose power in the house, as I did, that it tripped my RCD breaker. It is absolutely a fantastic product. Highly recommend.
on 5 September 2013
A Swedish friend had one of these and it seemed a great idea.
We bought one and are now on our second year of use. We’ve used it numerous times during this glorious summer.

It may seem crazy to be using electricity to light your barb, but it really does speed the lighting process up.
I measured it at about 800 Watts (so a 1/3rd of an average electric kettle)
No need for horrible self-lighting charcoal, just plug it in and 15-20 mins later the bbq’s going well.

Cuts down on all the smoke and flames we normally associate with bbq’s.
Cant recommend this product enough.

Only negative could be the storage bracket, which is a bit flimsy and awkward.
on 16 May 2016
This is the 3rd summer I've had this item and I'm quite surprised to hear that some people have had problems. It's never tripped my RCD unit (and at times it does seem quite sensitive) and the handle certainly hasn't caught fire.

I bought this after my sons had to watch Dad struggling to light some charcoal, with half the Sunday Times plus a bottle of lighting fluid I'd had to interrupt the event so that I could get some at the local Homebase. After some 2 to 3 hours I was finally cooking. I was about to take the BBQ down to the dump when I thought I'd look on Amazon, and found this little beauty.

Last week began its 3rd year of usage and I can only recommend it. Put some charcoal in the BBQ, put this on top and put a little more charcoal on top, plug it in and wait 10 to 15 minutes. When you come back you've got a BBQ with nicely glowing charcoal ready for your burgers and sausages. No horrible petrol smell, no smoke, just glowing embers. Even better, you'll soon recover the cost of the starter by not having to buy starter fluids and firelighters.

The only point I would make is that if you've got kids, keep it well away from them after the BBQ is lit. The forks will be glowing red hot and will result in a very nasty injury if touched. Thankfully mine are old enough to understand when I tell them to keep away, but if you have very young children put it somewhere safely out of reach while it cools down.
on 22 April 2014
Bought the starter to use with a kamdo charcoal oven “Big Green Egg” . This product is excellent and gets the coals glowing hot in about 6 minutes. Just pop it on you BBQ with coals below and on top and leave for 5 or so minutes. Very simple to use, great value for the money and would highly recommend; I will never use fire lighters again!!! Makes lighting a BBQ a quick and simply rather than a fiddly chore.

PS. I’ve only used with natural lumpwood charcoal.
on 26 January 2015
Best invention ever for lighting charcoal BBQs instead of nasty liquids and firelighters. I've recommended this to all my BBQing friends.
on 26 May 2016
This thing might be one of the best investments we've ever made (and it didn't even cost much). It works incredibly fast even in the scottish winds and uninvited winter-type days... and our food no longer has the subtle taste of lighter fluid! We don't have kids, but I could imagine that if you do, be very careful about where this gets placed after use (and placement of electric chord during use, etc).
on 12 March 2013
Having been to Greece on holiday on many occassions, watching the locals relaxing with a bbq I was envious and so last Summer I decided I was going to take my weber go anywhere travel bbq with me.

However, as we were staying in a small resort I di not know if I would be able to buy lighter fluids (I use a weber chimney at home) and so searched the internet to see if there was an electric charcoal lighter in existance. What a lovely surprise, there was!!!!!

So, off I went on holiday with the bbq, lighter and extension cable.

As mentioned on another review, using the lighter could not be simpler, lay out some charcoal in your bbq, place the COLD lighter on top of the charcoal with the handle furthest away from the charcoal, scatter more charcoal on top and then plug in the lighter and wait 5 minutes and your charcoal will be in full blaze. Unplug the lighter and carefully remove it from the charcoal.

There is a thin metal stand that comes with the lighter which is a bit flimsy and the hot lighter rests on this until it has gone cold and safe to put away. Needless to say...... if you have young children, keep this away from them as it gets that hot it becomes, literally red hot and remains hot for a good 10 minutes after being unplugged.

To conclude, I thoroughly recommend this product and enjoyed using it and look forward to using it again.
on 20 May 2015
Makes light work of starting the BBQ. Within 10 minutes the charcoals were flaming and almost ready, with no fuss of lighter fluid or blocks. The base it stands on when cooling is a little on the thin side so does not fully secure the heater properly as it bends very easily.