Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£11.70

on 6 August 2015
I was curious to read this book by Michael Hyatt. I bumped into his blog several times and the info is usually well laid out. Nothing earth shattering or ground breaking, but it is a pleasant read. if you are a beginner and do not know where to start this is a good book as it lays out the foundations. But if you already are knowledgeable on the topic you would see a lot of strategies and ideas reshuffled from elsewhere. This is a problem with these so called "gurus": one does something and all the other follow just giving it a minor twist and selling it as the new goldmine.
The author bangs on creating products with wow factor (where others talk about the same concept calling it added value), how to start a blog and how to build your tribe (again a concept taken from Seth Godin). There are some action points that can be helpful especially for beginners.
Overall an OK read, but you can get the same info for free on line (check Pat Flynn's Smart Passive Income blog). Somehow this author does not convince me.This book offers the advantage of having everything in one place. I have also tried his membership Platform University for one month and I found it quite boring and low value. Interviews with those who are "experts" in their field, lots of cross selling and very little how to actionable steps. Probably it is more a matter of my way of learning: I cut through the chase and I want new info and not stuff that I got elsewhere. I cancelled the membership after a couple of weeks.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 September 2015
This book was stuffed so full with information about raising your profile and building your platform that it's easy to feel as though you've already become successful online without actually doing anything other than reading it.

In all the instructional books I have read over the years, this one really breaks the mould. Normally these books follows this sort of pattern:

1 - Introduce the topic to the reader (about the first 10% of the book)
2 - Really hammer home how by reading the following chapters the reader's life will change or goals will be achieved (30-40%)
3 - Actually giving you the information they've been building up to for so long which by now can not live up to the hype (10%)
4 - Justifying that information and once again trying to stress how important it is that you use it (final 40%)

In most cases I end up feeling frustrated thinking that the authors could have saved a lot of time and me a few quid by condensing their 'wisdom' into a blog post and sticking it online.

This is not the case in this book.

This author is a successful blogger who has written every chapter of this novel like one of his posts. His repeated mantra of get to the point quickly, keep the information relevant and keep the content short is evident in his writing and it was a welcome change of pace.

Because of this you'll be glad if you decided to take notes when you read it because every chapter is filled with about 3-4 points that you just need to turn into actions or put aside for further exploration at a later date.

I won't say too much more else this review start to get a bit sycophantic so I'll just finish by stating that I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Given the blizzards of messages we receive electronically and the cacophony of voices competing for attention, it is much more difficult now than ever before to create or increase demand for a product or service. Michael Hyatt offers what he characterizes as a "step-by-step guide" to getting noticed. He agrees with Shakespeare: "All the world's a stage." Therefore, whatever we wish to communicate must have both a stage and an attentive audience. Extending his metaphor, Hyatt explains, "This book is all about attracting that audience, turning on the brightest lights you can find, and building passionate loyalty so your audience stays with you through every line, every scene, every act. It's not about ego or being the center of attention. It's about having something of value to others and finding the most powerful way of getting that message to others who can benefit from it."

What Hyatt proposes is a five-part process, with each Part consisting of specific action steps. This approach covers both the "what" and the "how" as he provides a combination of information, insights, and counsel. For example, "Part One: Start With WOW" has seven sequential action steps:

o Create a compelling product [or service]
o Bake in the WOW
o Exceed market expectations
o [Be aware and] beware of obstacles
o Don't settle for less than great
o Give your product [or service] a memorable name
o Wrap the WOW in style

Part One enables the reader to understand "how to create, name, and package a compelling product (the what). If you don't have that right, nothing else matters." Material in Parts Two-Five explain how to prepare to launch, build a home base, expand reach, and engage one's "tribe." Hyatt inserts dozens of checklists throughout the 60 brief but remarkably substantial chapters.

He concludes the book with an especially significant incident when he and his wife attended a Tony Robbins seminar and at one point, they and all others were invited to walk barefoot the length of one of twelve lanes of scorching hot (i.e. 1000º) coals, each lane about 20 feet long. That experience became "a powerful metaphor in our lives...What does this have to do with building a platform? Everything...Just like fire walking, [begin italics] the key is to start [end italics]."

Presumably Michael Hyatt agrees with me that it would be a fool's errand for anyone to attempt to apply immediately everything they learn from his book. Also, I think that modifications must be made with regard to how relevant strategies and tactics are executed. Moreover, the nature and extent of the platform will vary from a presentation to one person such as the CEO of a prospective client to an audience of 1,500 at a major professional meeting. However, whatever the given circumstances, the basics remain the same and they are covered thoroughly and eloquently in this book.
on 29 May 2012
I've been reading Michael Hyatt's blog for a number of years, so I thought that I wouldn't get too much from the book. But it is definitely a fantastic read, whether you are a newbie online or someone who is more experienced. I have read many branding and marketing books and experimented with my own platform online but I wrote 10 pages of notes from this book and have a long To Do list of things I need to improve. This will help you audit where you are right now and target where you want to get to. Michael has done a great job of making the information accessible and the reasons behind the tools are also explained. Recommended for people who are serious about expanding their online platform.
on 21 December 2015
I can give no higher compliment to this book than to say that it was so good that when I got off the Tube train on the London Underground while reading it, I had to keep going as I walked along the platform (no joke intended!)

I really enjoy the clear way in which Michael Hyatt writes- you can tell that he used to run a publishing company- and all the concepts really resonated with me.

If you want to get your message out there and grow your voice in a way which is systematic and yet exciting at the same time, Mr Hyatt is a recognized authority.

While a lot of information in this book is found on his excellent website I still recommend you buy it. This book provides the building blocks and then other parts of his output allow you to have deeper insights into the concepts that he introduces.

I would recommend this book to anyone and it is a key part of my own business and branding strategy now.
on 11 August 2016
I a practical, clear, step-by-step guide for people who are seeking positioning in our crazy world. Though I enjoy lending my books, I couldn't with this one. I mind mapped the actions I need to take after reading it. Every week I review my mind map and refer to the pages I marked. This book is more than a book..it's having a consultant in hand.
"Now all the people gathered together as one man in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate; and they told Ezra the scribe to bring the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded Israel. So Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly of men and women and all who could hear with understanding on the first day of the seventh month. Then he read from it in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate from morning until midday, before the men and women and those who could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive to the Book of the Law. So Ezra the scribe stood on a platform of wood which they had made for the purpose; and beside him, at his right hand, stood Mattithiah, Shema, Anaiah, Urijah, Hilkiah, and Maaseiah; and at his left hand Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam." -- Nehemiah 8:1-4 (NKJV)

If you've ever tried to attract a book agent or a commercial publisher, you were probably encouraged to work on developing your platform. As the chairman and former CEO of a major Christian publisher, Michael Hyatt should definitely know what an author's platform looks like. In this book, he describes the highlights of his own experience in creating one around a blog and lots of Twitter messages.

Although he was inexperienced on the Internet, Mr. Hyatt had plenty of resources to help attract an audience through his position in the Christian publishing world. In fact, if you go the publishing Web site, you'll probably end up on his blog. So his experience won't be your experience. Realize that. And he doesn't make any claims in that direction.

If you are a complete newcomer, some of the advice will be so general that you may not know what to do with it (such as using certain software). Unless you are a huge star on Twitter, much of what's in here won't help.

I only found a few parts that might apply to me personally, and I dutifully tried them out (especially increasing the frequency of putting a major piece of content on a blog) and then using social media to let others know. Yup, it worked. In a one week period of time, I increased a new blog's traffic by 30 times.

I could see that if I started spending a lot of time doing this, I could definitely have a bigger platform. But is it worth it? I don't think so.

Be sure you know what you want a platform for and what benefits you want people to receive. A lot of so-called platform-building is nothing more than making a lot of noise so that people pay attention. I'm reminded of how acting wannabes often wear revealing clothes to get attention. Yes, it gets attention ... but can you act any better when you are done?

Why do publishers like platforms? Well, they sell more books at less expense to themselves. So they make money. That's perfectly okay, but realize that your service to God may suffer in the process because you are spending less time serving Him.

Also realize that a lot of the advice in this book will be out-of-date quite quickly, because it's very tool oriented. If you decide you must have a bigger platform, definitely read the blog in the future so you can keep up with Mr. Hyatt's latest advice.
on 21 August 2012
"Platform - Get Noticed in a Noisy World" is written by Michael Hyatt, Chairman and former CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishers. He writes from personal experience, sharing how he developed his blog which has become one of the most popular in the world.

The book is divided into five parts: Start with Wow; Prepare to Launch; Build Your Home Base; Expand Your Reach; and Engage Your Tribe

In addition to the easy to read 60 chapters, there are several pages of resources and a very useful Appendix of Blog Post Ideas.

I have read this book from cover to cover twice so far, on Kindle, in hard copy, and listened to the audio version several times too. And I keep going back to mine the generously seeded nuggets to implement in my business, and pass on to clients.

`Platform' is an excellent resource for small businesses, whether they make products or deliver services. The author's exploration of and success with social media is proof that it can be done, so long as the offering is of the highest quality.

The author's own experience of social networking seems mainly focused on Twitter, with only the briefest mention of Facebook. Therefore, this book is not a comprehensive guide to using all the currently popular social networks, but then it doesn't pretend to be. What it shows is how effective it can be to concentrate your efforts on one network.

This book is encouraging and full of useful ideas that are easy to implement. It is suitable for both experienced and novice bloggers. I recommend it to coaches, trainers, authors and speakers who want to stand out from the crowd.
on 17 July 2015
I have to confess I've skipped chunks of the book - but that's because I've been around for a long time as an author and speaker. However, for newbie writers, Michael Hyatt, as usual, has much to offer. Plenty of great advice here on how to build your platform, and how to be heard in a noisy world.
on 26 January 2015
The reason I chose this rating of 5 stars for this book, is that I found it very informative whether you are newbie or already familiar with knowledge on social media.
I would personally be very glad to recommend this book to those starting out, as an inspiration to make things happen.
Well done! to Mr Micheal Hyatt