on 30 July 2017
I haven't read the whole book yet but my initial impression is that whilst it is well written, it is rather self centred. In other words the author is a little up himself! That aside, there are a few gems that will help the more serious poker player look at their game and work on issues that need to be addressed and ultimately improve. If you want a more down to earth, say it as it is guide then perhaps you need to look at other books on the game.
on 26 October 2014
The Mental Game of Poker does not only help you as a poker player, but also in your everyday life. Therefore, it is not only directed to avoiding tilt but helping you to improve your overall mental status. What is more, I have really found it useful in trading aswell, because a lot of these factors are quite similar, especially when running bad.

It is written in really good language and is easily understandable. What I really found interesting and helpful, are the three foundational theories, which are MUST if you want to improve your game and mental focus.

All in all, what I really liked about this book, is that it helped me in everyday life as much as in poker - to gain confidence & motivation. Therefore, this is a book I recommend to everyone who is starting to take poker more seriously, because there is a thing called "variance", which will really start to depress you when you are playing 1000+ hands online a day. I recommend to read it before, so you have heads up, what might happen to you while playing and therefore be ready and confident about it.
on 10 November 2013
This book has totally changed how I view the game and my attitude toward it. For the better I should add.

I am low stake sng and mtt long term winner but I am very prone to tilt and needed to find a solution to it- this book has give me the foundations to be able to move forward positively not dread periods of run bad, being jealous of other players I perceived to be luckier than me, not feeling like I was cursed, making tilt calls along with keeping calm during games and hands!

The book guides you through the types of tilt, how to recognise them and why they can be so damaging and helpful to your game at the same time!

Definitely worth a read for ANY poker player!! I say any and not just players who suffer from tilt because some of the tilt described in the book I didn't even realise I have!

GL at the tables!
4 people found this helpful
on 8 July 2015
As a semi professional poker player, already established on the UK and Ireland circuit, I am grounded enough to understand that even your best game can be improved - Which was the whole reason behind why I purchased this book.
I would recommend this book as a 'top up' guide for any good poker player. This is by no means a 'how to play' book, this book looks very closely at the mental mind states of a poker player who can already play the game very well, physically.
I would strongly recommend this book to anybody is who looking further their skill set, especially if you feel your mental skill sets are struggling!
Great book! - It's become my poker bible! 5*******
on 9 July 2012
I had this book in my wish list for a while and when I saw it was only a fiver on Kindle, decided to purchase it.

This book is excellent and I have really noticed improvements in my play since I started reading it. I have always had a problem with tilting on a bad run and spewing my bankroll away. This book helped me adjust the way I think about poker, variance and, crucially, to get realistic expectations about what to expect in Poker. This helps me stay in control when someone gets lucky against me or I don't play a good session.

I now think the mental game aspect of poker is something that is really neglected and full marks go to this book for addressing the issue.
2 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2015
One of the best poker books I have read. The content has so many applications outside poker eg. the field of sports physcology and business. I have read this book multiple times and think it has improved my poker game especially in terms of tilt control.
on 18 May 2014
From the many books I have selected and read, this one stands out as the most significant for a developing player of any level. It targets a unique area of poker that I have never seen addressed elsewhere, which starts by discussing different types of tilt, such as confidence and motivation - I simply regarded tilt as frustration but from that idea alone I have been more aware of my overconfidence when considering ambitious bluffs and my motivation before playing late night games that are effected by tiredness. It has so much to offer, so as my competing poker player I recommend you don't go out and buy it, ever, it is pure evil...
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 October 2017
As far as i can tell this is THE book to taff on the subject. Dont hesitate, you will be rewarded
on 14 February 2017
Not much substance at all really. Just goes over the same basic principles over and over and over and has loads of almost irrelevant stories from random players that don't really mean anything to anyone
on 11 January 2016
I have never played poker in my life! But as a day trader keeping your emotions under control whilst trying to make logical desisions under pressure can be quite stressful. This book has some great technics that I have been using and Ive noticed a big difference in front of the screens and also in my day to day life. Great book! Highly recommended.