Customer reviews

Beethoven: Piano Concertos Nos.1 & 3
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 July 2015
Having heard this disc played on "Classic FM" I was looking forward to owning my own copy as I was very impressed by the quality of playing and the interpretation. However I was disappointed when I played it on my own high quality system, something was wrong! After careful listening I realised that Classic FM use volume compression which seems to correct the problem with this disc. The piano is set too far in the background sounding at too great a distance and the superb chamber orchestra sound swells up to a disproportionate volume so that it no longer sounds chamber like but expands to a full symphony orchestra, not useful when the concentration is on the piano. A further fault is the treble roll off causing a lack of clarity and too heavy a drum. It is all a pity as the instrumentalists are excellent. Hence only three stars.
on 5 January 2013
Can there be yet another version of these much recorded concertos which will make you sit up and take note? The answer is an unequivocal yes for Leif Ove Andsnes, directing these performances from the keyboard. He plays with style and subtlety and the piano sits within the orchestra, always clear but never over dominant. The orchestra is relatively small scale so that every strand is easy to hear and does not disappear into a mush of sound. The sound on the CD is fine and distinctive and amply repays listening on high quality equipment. If you already have a larger scale version such as Paul Lewis and the BBC Orchestra, don't hesitate: they complement each other very well, illuminating so many aspects of these endlessly attractive works.
on 25 June 2016
I don't know where to start, but this series was the first classical music I have managed to enjoy and the whole series of 5 are fantastic. It has started me buying and listening to a lot of piano music but this still the best! I love it.
on 9 February 2013
I heard this being played on the radio and was instantly attracted to the quality of the playing in the third movement of Piano Concerto No.3. Having now listened to the whole CD I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoy all of it. There is one small point - the piano appears to be further back in the balance than I would have expected but it doesn't mar the enjoyment.
on 8 January 2014
One of my wife's favourite Christmas pressies and she hasn't stopped playing it since. It arrived promptly and in first class condition, thank you.
on 31 October 2015
As expected, music as good as on the dvd.
on 29 April 2016
exellent
on 19 April 2013
Leif Ove Andsnes are currently playing through the Beethoven piano pieces: I heard Andsnes playing Beethoven pianoconcerto 2 and 4 in Gothenburg a few months ago. And it was proubleby the best concert I ever attended. It was sharp, intensive and brilliant. A truly great musician and this CD, Beethoven pianoconcerto 1 and 3 are the same high standard. I give it my highest recommandation.
on 1 May 2016
Wonderful recording of wonderful music. Quite amazing that a piano can be played in this way.
on 1 February 2015