on 9 February 2014
I have both Gould and Richter interpretations of Haydn last sonatas. While Gould is technically perfect (but also Richter is) I cannot find in Gould the same degree of deep musical understanding and of "humanity" that is so present in Richter. I have most of Gould recordings, from Bach to Mozart, from Beethoven to Hindemith. In Bach I find his approach extremely "honest" and musically satisfying and I also appreciate his interpretation of modern music. In both cases his ability to clarify the musical lines is marvelous and fundamental to the understanding of that music. Maybe surprisingly, I also like some of his Beethoven. These Haydn sonatas have been sort of a let down for me, specially when compared to Richter. They are rather dry and his velocity in certain cases kills all nuances, not too differently from what happens in his Mozart recordings. If you have a chance, listen to Richter before buying Gould.