on 30 May 2012
Hi! I'm often sceptical about buying yet another recipe book. I have many tomes of good food (but good food I haven't made). I saw that this book was at the top of a Kindle food list so I thought I'd give it a go. I'm very pleased that I did! This recipe book is easy to use and very helpful indeed. I'm not the most confident chef so the book is useful with its clear instructions and food photos. There are many traditional favourites -- treacle tart, apple crumble and spotted dick. (My American friends have asked me many times for a good recipe for spotted dick so I will now direct them to this book.) What I love about this book and author is that you get the sense that she's made every recipe. I know that sounds daft but certain recipe books are so high-brow, you don't believe that the author truly made every recipe. This book is a fresh look at some of Britain's best puddings. Worth picking up or clicking up!
6 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2012
The recipes in this book are a wonderul reminder of childhood puddings. They have brought back so many happy memories of roly-poly pudding with homemade custard after a delicious roast beef dinner. Yesterday I tried the apple crumble on my husband and two children and it disappeared without a trace. No longer will they be satisfied with shop bought, it's home-made puddings from no on!
5 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2014
I got this book to make puddings that were comfort food after being at work all day and comng home in this bad weather every night. I make a small main meal then a big comfy pudding. This book is for pud lovers.
on 17 November 2015
Yum yum lots of old fashioned puss in here.
on 23 March 2016
some good tips
on 29 March 2013
I have the all in one condensed version too but dip into this when I want something different for a change would love to see these brought out as a paperback set for non kindle using friends they'd make a great gift set
on 16 January 2013
As the name states, it is filled with traditional recipes, some very long forgotten. Have tried 3 or 4 out of here for the families desserts (We have a large family including foster children) and they have all worked out brilliant so 5* all round.
on 30 June 2016
Loving the puddings.
on 17 September 2013
I was looking for a bread pudding recipe which this book provided. However, I didn't expect it to be as short as it is, very disappointed that the author could think of so few recipes for traditional British puddings. Won't buy any of her other books.
on 20 October 2013
Memories abound in this collection of hearty good-for-the-soul if not for the waistline recipes! A nostalgic trip of childhood when Mum made the best out of a few cheap ingredients and produced something delicious!
Bread pudding, treacle tart, rice pudding ... is your mouth watering yet?!