Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 August 2017
Love this cd.
on 6 February 2015
I love this; her voice gets better as she gets older. I particularly love Future Feminism, the second track. Her speaking voice on that!
on 26 July 2017
Very good.
Recorded live last Autumn in Copenhagen 'Cut The World' is a welcome
stepping stone in the recording career of Antony Hegarty. His studio
output since 2009's wonderful 'The Crying Light' has been somewhat
patchy so it's good to be reminded what a power for good he is in the
listening world. Having an orchestra to work with is a boon and Nico
Muhly's arrangements add new texture, depth and lustre to familiar
material and frame this incomparable voice in luminous veils of glorious
sound. Songs like 'Cripple and The Starfish' from his 2005 eponymous debut
and the sublime 'You Are My Sister' from 'I Am A Bird Now' (2004) deliver
performances which stir our emotions and lift our spirit. The mood of the
occasion is vividly captured; the rich ambience of the concert hall adding
warmth and grandeur to these incandescently soulful performances.

Hegarty's monologue 'Future Feminism' is an interesting inclusion. Both
personal testament and universal polemic, it combines sharp historical and
political observation with wry humour. A quietly burning plea for tolerance
and understanding in a cruel and dangerous world. He is a fine ambassador!

The culmination of these revelatory re-imaginings of his work comes with
final track 'Twilight'; a stirring rendition which brings the recording
to a heartrending but ultimately uplifting conclusion. A magnificent coda.

This magical recording deserves a place in every hearth and home.

Essential.
on 16 May 2017
Beautiful. Rare orchestral quality for popular music. Soothing and moving.
on 8 September 2012
This Antony-recording with The Danish National Chamber Orhestra is pure pleasure from beginning to end.
You are my Sister, Cripple & The Starfish & The Crying Light never sounded better - this is a MUST have for Antony fans.
on 26 February 2017
I bought this mainly for the title track but it also has a great version of Swanlights. With the orchestra it's more substantial than the studio version and it is treated with a beautifully haunting sound on this album, te type that can only come from a full orchestra. There are also good versions of Epilepsy is Dancing and I Fell In Love With a Dead Boy, which is only available on an EP, so another good reason to acquire this album,

I don't normally like live albums but this one doesn't really feel like one like some others. There is no audience reaction between tracks, which is great, only at the end do they applaud.

A lot of people have talked about Future Feminism. It's not self indulgent, it's just Antony being himself and it gives us a rare opportunity to find out about him as a person, I personally like to know about the musicians behind music I really like. He's a lot more at ease here than in interviews I have seen him in, where he often appears a little nervous, so it's really nice to hear him talk freely here.

Along with The Crying Light and I Am A Bird Now, I now have some of the most beautiful and moving songs I have ever owned and I feel so grateful to him for creating this incredible music.
on 2 November 2012
..ramblings are just nonsense and slightly spoil it for me but no getting away from the fact that Antony has a truly lovely voice and has written some pretty good songs that sound like they'll be around a long time.
on 7 August 2012
Ok first I have to say unlike the only other reviewer on here, I have actually listened to the whole album and can't believe that person reviewed the album at all let alone awarded it five stars based on a live performance of a song they heard that appears on this album (a different live performance btw). Sorry but it really annoys me when people review something they haven't actually used etc.

Anyway, getting that little bugbear off my chest I can say that this album is worth getting. It will of course be of particular interest to Antony Hegarty (of The Johnsons) fans but I equally think fans of Baby Dee and other such artists will also love this album. If however you have never heard Antony & The Johnsons then I'd urge you to listen to some of the other albums first as he can be an acquired taste (particular his voice).

This is a live album recorded in Copenhagen with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra and so you're getting much more than a standard live performance here. All of the songs are reworkings of previous album tracks (apart from the title track and a rather self-indulgent "lecture" about Future Feminism) and the new instrumentation provided by the orchestra really changes the character and feel of the songs and works brilliantly.

Most songs are rather downtempo with the exception of Kiss My Name which is the most upbeat song on here. The album is just over an hour long and for a live recording is missing pretty much all audience atmosphere and even applause at the end of each song. I presume it was recorded this way on purpose so that they could get clean takes of each individual song but I quite like hearing the audience on live recordings and feel this album loses some of the ambience without it.

For that reason and because of the inclusion of the previous mentioned self-indulgent track Future Feminism, on which Antony talks to the audience (for once you can actually hear them laughing etc) and basically doesn't make a wholly convincing argument for women ruling the world and has a tendency to do that annoying way of talking (popular among Australians etc) of ending each sentence as a question as though he's not sure you know what anything is and he needs to check, I have given the album 4 stars which I think is a fair score.

I really enjoyed this album and think it sits quite nicely with his other albums and I look forward to hearing some new material from him. Highly recommended.
on 8 September 2012
A beautiful album. Anthony's haunting vocal combined with perfect orchestration to match it makes this undeniably his best album to date. With new versions of some of his classic songs such as "You are my sister" and the brilliant title track, this is a must-have for fans of Anthony.