on 17 June 2017
Absolutely brilliant!
Very easy to read with some interesting trade secrets.
Part of the book is for self motivation, rather than pure sales techniques.
However I found it quite inspiring read, from someone who really knows what he is talking about.
on 29 January 2017
A well written and insightful book extolling the virtues of the cold call in business sales. I didn't agree with all the techniques but the method for overcoming the fear of cold calling is something I'll definitely be having a go at.
on 23 March 2017
Some simple and great ideas
on 31 July 2015
Good book, even if you aren't a chicken.
on 30 December 2009
I have been in software sales now for nearly 12 years and like most sales people I work with, there is a general loathing for cold calling. But as the book states, 85% of business out there is won by the 5% of the sales people able to make cold calls. This book provides an approach and, more importantly, a mental attitude that you can use, not only in sales, but in other areas of your life.

After having read this book twice, I have a completely different outlook on the calling process and using the tips in the book, I am no longer worried about the rejections I get, nor the objections from customers.

Easy to read, easy to digest and I am looking forward to a revamped sales career in 2010.
on 24 March 2008
if you are involved in selling by phone then this book is a must regardless of how experienced you think you are.I picked up lots of tips and hints from the book but I have been in sales all my life and been on loads of training courses.If you just put into practice just some of the methods you will see you sales increase. I was top sales person last month, could that be to do with just having read the book? I have only been in my current job for 2 months so I think yes both conciously and subconciously this book helped me acheive this.Once you have read it you will keep going back to it over and over-its a excellent investment in your future!
on 17 February 2012
This book is the best investment I have made for a long time. Prior to purchasing the book, I had already tried my hand at cold calling with some success but it was very hit and miss. I wanted to learn whatever I could to hone my technique and this book gave me the advice in spades.

I work for a charity which provides a free service to clients so I am not your traditional salesman but we are heavily reliant on funding and one of the ways in which our performance is measured is through meeting targets-which means getting clients through the door.

The most successful way I have found of getting clients through the door is by securing client referrals from other organisations which means cold calling them and there has been a marked improvement in my cold calling progress since I started applying the principles in this book.

For example, one of the reasons I was more 'miss' than 'hit' prior to reading the book is that I often got stuck on the line with the "gatekeepers" who basically don't always have the authority to make a decision on what you are requesting.

By doing a bit of prior research or "intelligence" and by employing the tactics advocated in the book to bypass the gatekeepers, you can save yourself a lot of time and effort by getting through to the best person to speak to.

One schoolboy error I made was by not keeping a record of organisations I had contacted. In hindsight I can see that some have fobbed me off by getting me to send more information in the post or by email and I never hear from them again. If you keep a record, you can always make that follow up call and change your approach or perhaps you will speak to somebody different next time or someone who isn't having a bad day and is more receptive to what you have to say.

The book is very easy to read and understand and I read it in a single sitting. I got the most value out of the advice by reading the book twice to reinforce the principles in my mind and I started applying them in my job immediately.

It's an interesting read with some good anecdotes, inspirational quotes and the advice is golden, absolutely priceless. If you do cold calling for a living or if you sell goods or services to anybody, you cannot afford to not buy this book. The book will more than pay for itself with the extra business you generate. I am absolutely smashing my targets at the moment and the vast majority of my leads were from a cold call I made.
on 2 March 2009
Excellent book by an experienced sales professional. Practical ideas that make real common sense and provide a structure to go out and cold call effectively.

Etherington provides a reality check for many sales people on what I would call the "tacky numbers game", he explains that;

95% of sales people make the first cold call,
50% of sales people make the second cold call,
25% of sales people make the third cold call,
15% of sales people make the fourth cold call,
10% of sales people make the fifth cold call,

and just 5% of sales people make the sixth cold call and they take 85% of the available new business in any market.

A very good book about how important it is to have both structure and perseverence in sales in general and cold calling especially.

Highly recommended, especially in these credit crunch times.
on 2 February 2016
I found the opening really sexist and inappropriate as did 9 members of my telesales team, we decided to work around the Little Red Book of Selling instead.
on 15 November 2006
I hate it...not the book.....but Cold Calling itself. I have tried every way to get out of it and find new customers some other way but none of them work. This is really a book about how to overcome the fear in a very quirky way....and I have to admit it actually works. Even miserable potential customers are not as scary now. I am ordering several copies for my staff.