on 10 August 2012
TP-Link PA411 AV500 Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

Ok I went for the 500Mbps ones (but they work on the same principles as the 200 mbps ones, just faster) but was sceptical about 500Mbps over a 1940's built house, but neither the less wanted to give my Virgin Media 120mb line the best chance..

Virgin are always upgrading their broadband connection speed so I'd imagine 200 mbps would be surpassed within a year or two as they roll out 300 mbps and 500 mbps lines going forward.

PAIRING...

Ignore the instructions, just do this...
1) Connect your 1st homeplug to your broadband router via supplied network lead
2) Connect your 2nd homeplug to your other PC/Xbox/Laptop etc
3) Press the pair button on the 1st home plug in for 1 second (power LED will slowly flash)
4) RUN to the 2nd homeplug and press pair button in for 1 Second
5) Both units will flash for a minute or two (not sure why it takes this length of time, but it don't matter - go make a cuppa) and then the connection should be established. Turn on your other PC/Xbox/Laptop device etc and enjoy.

NOTE: You can add another homeplug by pairing with the 1st one.
You can also move the home plug to another socket, you don't need to do any of the above pairing etc as they are already "friends".

After this I went to get some food but came back and now wanted to test the speed of these badboys! I installed the supplied software and after a fiddly time trying to get the 2nd homeplug picked up by the software (though it still allowed network traffic - just the software couldn't see it) I was horrified to see a paltry 11mpbs!
I moved both homeplugs to an original build double power socket in the kitchen, attached the network lead from the router to homeplug no 1 and retested. They were both next to each other in the same socket and I was still stuck on 11mpbs!

FAULTY! So I slept on it and was ready to send these back. However, I had been testing all this time with the XBOX switched off assuming the speed seen in the software was between homeplugs. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The speed reported is between DEVICES, if one is switched off, the software ALWAYS reports 11 mpbs. So to get a true speed, you HAVE TO have both devices (router and PC/Xbox/Laptop etc) switched on!

I'm now getting 327Mbps, which is still a bit shy of 500Mbps but I'm happy with that as my research on google has shown not a lot of people can get near that. For the extra £9 the 500Mbps version are a bit more future proof and a lot better if being used on a home network where speeds will exceed the broadband im using.
Happy to help anyone who needs advice, just drop me a line.
9797 comments| 1,182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2016
This works perfectly! The picture attached shows a higher-than-usual wireless speed but with this, wired, the speed is consistent! So happy right now! Just plugged it in and had to review. If it dies in a few days I'll edit this review and let you know but this is diffinetly worth the purchase.

Instead of drilling holes and moving things around the house I plugged these in and they're perfect! My PC is upstairs and our router is on the other side of the house, having to send wifi through many a wall. Extremely happy with this product, buy it! It works!
on 20 October 2012
Amazing little things. Loved the first pair so much I bought another pair!
I decided to get the 500mbps instead of the ever-so-slightly cheaper 200mbps and I dont think there would be much difference in performance but I like to future-proof since we've just had fibre optic installed (can handle our 30mbps connection no problem)

REMEMBER: 500mbps doesnt mean 500megabytes per second, it means 500megabits per second.
(Google it if you want to find out more but you divide the mbps by 8 to give you megabytes value)

Quite easy to setup, little instruction manual explains everything pretty simply.

MY ONLY WORD OF WARNING
To pair the connectors up in a network you need to press the button for a specific length of time, and wow it has to be exact. If you're not getting the power light blinking slowly its not looking for anything to pair BUT keep trying! Try and press it for a bit longer perhaps - until you get the power light to flash - then the same on the other plug.
Adding the second pair was easy, do them one at a time - Trigger it to begin pairing, find an existing one and tell that to pair, wait a minute or two for them to get acquainted, then same for the forth.

EQUIPMENT TESTED ON:
So far tested sucessfully on:
NAS (Network Attached Storage) Drive - NSA310 Zyxel to be exact
Sony Playstation 3
Numerous Desktop PCs and Laptops - Win 7, Vista.
Sky Anytime box to give Anytime+ HD (niiiiiiice)
Additional switches - so you'd like to split the connection further once its back out the wall, pick up a cheap ethernet switch and you're sorted. Theres a relatively cheap TP Link Switch on the market for around £13-£15 that Im sure would do the trick but I'm using an Edimax I had spare. (P.S. Might help if it states its a Gigabit switch too, just in case)

DO I HAVE TO PLUG THEM DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL?
Not always. They word fine on a NON-SURGED extension lead, just like those cheap 4/5 plugged ones from IKEA, I've found they dont always have to be plugged into the wall socket - especially since they can be a bit wide. Thats also worth noting for extension leads. If you've got a 4 socket extension, you may struggle to fit something next to the Adapter.
For surged extension leads the speed can drop off. Would you notice in browsing the web? Not sure - but if you do it, try to use non-surge if you're desperate for additional ports.

DOES IT COME WITH CABLES?
Yes, two yellow Cat 5e cables which is a nice extra - it would have been a pain to hunt around for spare cables.

DOES IT PLAY HD MEDIA?
On our house yes it does. Successfully streaming 10GB+ High Definition movies from bottom floor to the attic. Transfer speed tops around 8megabytes a second which is excellent (thats not the same as 8mbps remember ;) )

Happy to answer any questions in comments.
55 comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2014
I have a smart tv that was using wifi to watch iplayer and it kept buffering which made me turn it off. after being told about this adapter i was a bit reserved in judgement as i know nothing about technology.
the kit arrived, i plugged it in, it connected. after about 10 minutes, i switched on the tv and now i dont have any more buffering.
i dont know if this was the best kit or the worst but it works very well for me and i have purchased another kit for a wifi booster and my daughters tv.
33 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2016
These powerline adapters suffer from a huge design issue - the Ethernet port is only 100Mbps. If they're claiming a 500Mbps speed, one would hope they'd put a gigabit Ethernet port on the adapter so you can actually make use of the speed. With a 100Mbps Ethernet port the fastest speed you can get is 12.5MB/s.

For a few hours I was left confused as to why the speed was so low. It was only when I looked at the box and saw "Interfaces: 1* 10/100Mbps Ethernet Port" that I realised what the problem was (see picture). I feel the speed of the Ethernet port is very important information and it should be included in the Amazon listing, but it doesn't appear to be mentioned anywhere.

That was a waste of a few hours. I'm going to bed and I'll arrange to return these tomorrow.
on 3 October 2014
There's a known issue with these. it is discussed on the tp-link forum. they just drop the connection randomly. could be once a day, twice in 10 minutes, completely random. then you have to either power cycle them, or wait 10 minutes. feels like a firmware issue, but as of now there hasn't been an update for over a year.

otherwise speed is good. but it hardly makes up for the drop outs.
44 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2012
I recently bought a Samsung Smart TV and found that the wireless connection in our bedroom was not good enough to use the Smart element of the TV (needs 10Mbp believe it or not!). We currently have a virgin broadband router that consistently produces about 30 Mbp when tested by speedtest.net. The speedtest on the wireless in the bedroom was at about 6-7 mbp so I thought that these units would solve my problem by providing a wired speed nearer to the 30mbp we get downstairs. Connecting and pairing the two units was incredibly easy and yes they do work well (even in plugboards). However the speed in the bedroom was only 12-14 Mbps - a considerable improvement on the wireless speed, but no where near the actual speed coming out of the router. Clearly there is considerable speed loss the further the signal needs to travel along the mains wires (different ring mains etc) So buy these with your eyes wide open - if you have a poor wireless signal they will probably increase the speed but be aware it is not the same as plugging in an ethernet cable direct from the router into your PC, Smart TV etc.
44 comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These things are AMAZING.

For years now, I have been constantly raging at wireless - a technology that despite its prominence has always struck me as not really ready for prime-time. It's a system that requires, in my experience, almost constantly curation to maintain anything like a usable network, and too erratic and unreliable for anything other than bare internet access. Admittedly I have four computers, a laptop, several mobile phones and a tablet all using the same connection - but that's besides the point. Wireless has been a technology which is super convenient but not actually very good.

And along comes networking via the power lines. I was, I admit, extremely skeptical that it would be viable - I'd heard a lot of negativity about how flaky the technology was, and since I hadn't kept up with new developments I had just assumed nothing had really improved.

Consider me a convert.

Setup is a breeze - plug the devices into wall sockets, press the pairing button at the bottom, and then you can plug them into any wall socket in the house. Connect an ethernet cable from your computer to the adapter, and bam - you have a fast, rock solid network connection that doesn't constantly drop on you. What's more, you can have as many of them as you need on your network - just buy another device, pair it, and away you go.

The sole drawback is that they take up a wall socket (you can't plug them into a gang plug), but if that's a deal-breaker for you you can spend a little more to get pass-through adapters.

(Almost) all the convenience of wireless, but with all the reliability of wired. What more could you ask for>
55 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2015
As long as you can use Ethernet conveniently (it's pretty clunky by today's standards), these are very useful. I get perhaps 25%-50% better bandwidth from a home broadband router to way out back in my shed, perhaps 25m of wiring, a pair of extension leads and at least one spur. I had to use a 50m long Ethernet cable because wireless wouldn't reach out there reliably enough with the bandwidth I needed.

Installation is completely trouble-free. You just plug the devices into an AC socket (all of mine are plugged into extension cords to make things more difficult for the devices) plug in your 1m Ethernet cable (provided) and away you go. That's it; no configuring, fiddling or switches. If only day-to-day life proceeded as smoothly!

Now the really stunning thing is that once you have one at your router, every other TP-LINK device connects to that without problem and gives you Ethernet remotely through the single device at your broadband. I bought another pair of these from eBay each with triple Ethernet ports (cheaper than the single ones on Amazon, but you can't always get them). These plugged right in and work perfectly with the single port one at the broadband and now I have 7 Ethernet ports available through house and office. One of these ports is connected to a Raspberry Pi way out back that runs 24/7 to do 3-4Gb daily backup and it's been going problem-free for a couple of months now, non-stop.

If you are one of the increasingly rare folks who want or need Ethernet, these things are worth having, even if you only use them once in a while (e.g., configuring Raspberry Pi's without having to do it in your closet where the router is). They seem a bit pricey, but they really do the business when you need Ethernet and, for me anyway, with absolutely no hassle. I've packed my 50m Ethernet cable away and don't expect to have to drag it out again.
on 11 August 2012
After moving into my new home, the location of my Internet router is too far away for my Xbox to join the wireless network. This little beauty plugs into a socket next to my Internet router and connects via a short network cable. Then in my bedroom, I have the other Powerline adapter plugged into a socket and connected to the Xbox with another short network cable. BOSH - Internet connection made. There was no configuring, no waiting, no need for a PC to assist, no settings needed to be applied, The connection was pretty much instant and thus far completely reliable. The adapters look pretty decent, too.

The only minor, minor negative about this product is an ever so slight humming you hear in the dead of night. It is completely inaudible during the day, but in the dead of night when there is no other background noise, you can hear an intermittent (albeit minimal) humming from the adapter. I'm a light sleeper so I have to turn it off at night but on the plus side, at least that means I'm doing my bit for the planet!

Also, just another point. Make sure you plug it directly into the wall socket rather than into an extension cable. The connection is more reliable and faster that way.