Customer reviews

on 10 June 2017
What an amazing journey. Russia is a country that still holds a lot of mystery. To experience it's real people and places must have been an amazing adventure. Perhaps one day I may take my own bike there.
on 17 August 2017
I liked this book. The author catches the sprit of an adventure and the trial and tribulations that go with it
on 18 January 2013
Having had a kindle bought for me for Christmas I have had my first venture into the world of electronic reading. Every bone in my body is fighting against this idea of not having a tactile book in my hands when reading. Although I think it will be a sad day if we ever loose the printed (on paper) book, my first read ,Venture into Russia,' was a great find. Its short with only about 200 pages but it kept me reading at such a pace that I had finished it by the dinnertime of the morning I had purchased it. It is three stories in one. The first story Lawerence talks about the continued failure of his 1970's BMW to get him to his destination and with this failure it draws you into the second story. The third story is much longer, and the author has been lucky enough to have his son ride the journey with him, it is the best part, and a fab read . The journey brings him into contact with good and bad sides of human nature that many a bike rider comes across when meeting travellers. I'm not sure if it has spurred me on to visit Russia, or frightened me to death! But it's definitely worth a read if your heading for a ride in that direction.
on 18 February 2013
As someone who has done a bit of bike touring in Europe, usualy a two week trip , I love the thought of just taking off and doing Russia, even better if you can do it with your son. A trip is only as good as the company you go with , I've done lots of trips with other guys that expect you to ride like them , which is not always conducive to good health , but to share a trip like this, "a venture into Russia" with your son make's for a great read, from a trip on his own that never realy failed, but never reach it objectives a few years before, to finaly taking the trip on, and I liked the way they would just follow a road to see where it took them , quite often they had to turn back as the road just stopped, meeting locals that are so welcoming and pleased that they have taking the time to visit there country, you get a real idea of what thing's are realy like in the rural parts of Russia, if you like motorcycle adventure you will enjoy this relaxing read.
on 30 April 2013
I found the diary of the adventure very interesting and challenging. I have yet again been prompted to embark on such a trip myself, who knows - one day. I found the book to be full of fascinating events and occasions, the narrative about the people Lawrence Bransby met was pleasant to read.

Its very interesting to note how the writing style changed as the book progressed and the quality of the descriptions improved as the adventure unfolds.

I was a little disappointed at the quality of the English and I found several spelling mistakes, however this did not detract from quite a good book, worth a read for any budding adventure motorcyclist.
on 12 December 2012
It really is 3 books in one!
Brilliant books and read all Lawrence bransby motorbike travel
Please bring another one out mate !
on 21 August 2013
Lawrence always seems to take on some challenges in his motorcycle adventures and it was great to see Gareth along with him again. Some particularly interesting facts and tales of Russia and an awesome encounter with the bikies of Russia. What a great bunch. The author expresses the friendships made and people met along the way very well and it is another enjoyable read.
on 25 March 2014
Three interesting stories about travel into Russia. What really comes through is the kindness of ordinary Russians and the obsession with security by the authorities.
But please, Mr Bransby, immobilise the exclamation mark key on your keyboard. It's like shouting at your readers on almost every page. Then write another story.
on 5 June 2015
enjoyed his first book riding through africa and thought i'd try another. i like the style , and the descriptions of the rides and people and places is excellent. i'll look forward to reading another.
on 17 February 2013
For anyone who dreams of jumping on their bike and heading off into the wilderness, this is the book for you. Lawrence is no novelist, but keeps you interested and feeling like you are traveling with him. You really get a feel for the places he visited.

Probably of most interest to other bikers. A worthwhile read and I'll be reading his other book.