on 15 April 2017
I left a 1 star review for this drive after it apparently failed for no reason after just 2 years of light use. However, Seagate responded to my review and their customer service has been outstanding. They got the drive working again and I am delighted. I would purchase another Seagate product based solely on their attitude to customer care.
33 Comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 January 2017
OK so I have seen other reviews about failures etc. but hey....things fail...that's why we back up in the first place isn't it (and I never trust just one backup for precious files)?? Anyway, I already have two 2TB portable Seagate expansion drives for my movie and TV collection, and for my backups. However, an ever increasing movie and TV collection meant I needed even more capacity. I decided on this one purely because of the price point, the capacity, and the fact it was a Seagate! Straight out of the box it feels like quality. It is nicely heavy and comes with a decent length Mains adaptor and USB 3.0 cable (if you are new to USB 3.0 be aware that a normal USB cable does not have the same fitting at the equipment end as a USB 3.0 cable). So what did I do? I put the drive on my desk behind my PC. I connected the drive via the USB cable to a vacant USB3.0 port (the blue ones) on the back of my PC (I would say NEVER plug a backup HDD in to a HUB....always use a dedicated direct socket). And I plugged it in. Within a couple of seconds a window popped up showing that the drive is active. And that's it really! I leave it plugged into the mains since it automatically goes to sleep with the PC. Noise? well, I happen to like hearing that positive little whirring sound that lets you know something is happening when I copy a file to a backup (at other times it is, as far as I can tell, silent....or at least quieter than the whisper of my PC fan). If you have the hearing of a Fenec Fox and get annoyed by the sound of a cockroach running across a carpet 10 feet away then maybe this drive is too noisy....! It is backwards compatible to USB 2.0 if you need it to connect via that method but bear in mind that USB 3.0 is some large number of times faster than USB 2.0! Transfer times?? Well, as we all know, different file types take different times to copy and big files copy at a much faster rate than lots of small files. I have seen 130MBps during copying a large archive of video files from my PC (i5 processor) to it, but copying my custom icons file (yeah I am a movie geek and the folder icons just have to portray the movies they contain ;-)) of hundreds of files less than 1MB each managed only around 20MBps. I don't know what else to tell you really.... I will watch out for questions and try to answer if I can. I will say that I paid 74 quid for this and the same drive was 119 elsewhere online! Yeah it could fail next week...or never...but no backup is perfect which is why you should have at least 2 backups of all of your precious files as well as your in-use version on your PC.....don't be like me and learn the hard way by losing 2 years worth of irreplaceable family pictures and videos!!!!
on 13 September 2017
this thing is perfect for storing all your xbox one games on. i use mine to store my entire games collection. i have about 150 games saved onto it so far, but there is a lot more room for more, probably double that! I then copy or transfer them onto my console as and when i want to play them, and keeping my console tidy and running fresh. keep it permanently connected at the back of your console and your games saved on it will update as they would if saved on the console(automatic updates enabled). It works very well. makes games loading times quicker too. not lightspeed faster but its definately noticeable and improved. its quiet and, well... it does what you want it to do! A great price for a massive 5TB hhd with usb 3.0. easy to set up. just plug in the usb socket at the back of your console. connect to the main power suply and follow the on screen instructions.
on 7 October 2017
Perfect for my PS4 storage needs .. we were fed up with not being able to install as many games as we wanted, and had to share the disk (and time it takes around that, when you just want to pick up and play!) - but this has solved the situation.
Seems quiet.. and as long as you can plug in and leave uninterrupted without power loss it works fine.
One grumble but nothing to do with this unit - wish the PS4 had USB connection at back of unit to plug this in to make less wires visible ..
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2017
It's early days yet, but this seems to be a solid piece of kit. It's quiet and very fast!

I was slightly put off by the fact that it is mains powered. I thought it might remain on all the time, or require turning off at the socket when not in use. This is not the case, when it is not connected to anything (or connected to a powered-down computer) it stops the drive spinning and enters a low power mode. It's perfect for my use (photo storage). I'm glad I bought it.

Note, this drive does not feature a Kensington slot.
on 21 February 2018
These drives are great, my second one. But if you are a Mac user you may have the same issue that I and others have had, in that the reformatting of the drive using Mac's Disk Utility initially failed. I thought it was a faulty drive and nearly sent it back.

The issue was that after reformatting, my iMac wouldn't recognised the drive and Time Machine also said there was not enough space on it. Yet it's a 4TB version! I have a 3TB version I bought last year and didn't have this problem when I set that up....for tech wizards out there this may be obvious, but for those of us who are a little more technically challenged, I hope this helps. I found this really helpful advice from an earlier reviewer:

"Important note if you intend to use this drive on a MAC.

The expansion drive was originally not recognised by my iMac (running macOS High Sierra) and could not be reformatted using Disk Utility either so I thought it was faulty....

However a quick call with Seagate Support revealed that my Disk Utility was set to see only seeing the disk volume - Not the complete drive.

If you have the same problem Launch Disk Utility, (located in Applications > Utilities) and use the View button (top left) to Show All Devices (not just the volumes) - The Seagate disk will then appear - From here you can Erase the disk and format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with the scheme of GUID Partition Map and it will appear on your desktop. Now I've done this Time Machine is now happily backing up to the drive ;-) Great support from Seagate."

Big thanks to that reviewer. Great drive, but Seagate if you are reading this you my want to get the message out to Mac buyers about this to reduce returns.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 August 2015
Perfect size to accompany the Xbox one.
review image
on 19 October 2016
I bought this hard-drive as a replacement for my internal HDD to store all of my media. I usually consider myself a Western Digital customer, but at this price who can complain.

I have had this HDD for over a week now and I can confidently say this is the best external hard drive I have ever owned. The external housing whilst being made from plastic feels very sturdy, and has large perforations on the back and underside of the housing (when stood up, as pictured) to allow for adequate cooling. The HDD requires a PC USB connection and external power connector (Both included).

The 5 TB drive inside (4054 GB) is very fast, and the drive runs rather quietly, even during heavy writing operations. I tested the sequential read and write speeds of the drive using CrystalDiskMark 5.2.0 (Freeware, for anyone interested in testing their own) and obtained read speeds of 152 MB/s and write speeds of 140 MB/s when plugged into a USB 3.0 slot on my PC. In real life the write speeds are extremely close to this, I found when I first started to fill the drive write speeds were closer to 90-100 MB/s, however when the drive was may 200 GB full the hard drive ramped up to 120-140MB/s and has remained this fast ever since.

The only downside I found to this drive are it's operating temperature, under no load the hard-drive sits at just above ambient room temperature, however under light-heavy load the HDD sits between 35-47 (degrees celsius). Although this is well withing the recommended operating temperature specified by Seagate (60 degrees celsius) I personally prefer my hard drives a little cooler.

Overall however this is a fantastic product and well worth the money. 4*.
on 14 September 2017
Not for the first time, my Seagate hard drive had developed a fault with the USB - it is not a very tight connection so regularly loses connection with my laptop. It's now gotten to the point where it will connect, I can walk away and it will lose connection within 5 minutes. I have to assume a light breeze knocked the USB lead.
Update: On contacting Seagate they recommended I try a new USB lead. Thanks Tech Support, stirling work, hadn't thought of that. Althoguh if I had just contacted them straight away I'd have been in my warranty. As it was, 3 days out and no further interest shown.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 June 2016
This is a simple to use and highly effective external hard-drive. It's a big 2TB expansion. I've been using it with my Xbox One - and it works perfectly (I've been using it for a year, as I write this review, and I've never had any issues at all). Given that it uses a USB 3.0, it's super-fast. I opted for this item as it's black - and fits in nicely with the console.

I connected it to my Xbox, and followed the on-screen instructions - so as to format the device. This didn't take long. And as soon as it was done, I transferred all my saved games from the console to this expansion - thereby freeing-up my console.

I leave it plugged-in all the time. It doesn't overheat. However, it does make a slight noise (which can be noticed only if everything else is quiet). During gameplay, or while watching TV, it's inaudible.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this.