on 3 July 2012
I loved this trilogy, I ready Beautiful Disaster first and then searched the author and bought this trilogy. I had never read an Angels and Demons book before but I couldn't put it down. It was brilliant. It had me gripped from the first page to the last. I was really sorry it ended.
on 2 August 2012
Really enjoyed this book- not quite as tear jerky as Jamie's "Beautiful Disaster" book that I bought and loved but way more up the fantasy street! It's a bit like stepping into the Cullen family with all the Ryel's having 'unusual' traits and abilities but I won't say much to spoil the plot. Nina is a likeable lead with strong female friendships (I like this in a lead female hence why I like Nina better than Bella from Twilight who seems to drop EVERYTHING for Edward) and I really feel like she's got something to give to the book and to Jared as a partner. The main point I guess to add is that there is a happy ending- not everyone comes out of this book unscathed or as perfect as they were before but if you're rooting for a decent ending then you will get it. The nice bit is there's even space left for another book that could explore one of the new characters that appears at the end of these three books. Buy the three together rather than one at a time because you will want to move on to the next one straight after the others!
on 9 March 2015
I initially really struggled with this series. I absolutely adore Jamie McGuire and her beautiful books (beautiful disaster, beautiful redemption etc), I especially loved red hill so I think I was expecting big things from this series.

So, this series centres around Nina, a college kid who has just lost her father to what she believes to be a car accident. Following her fathers death, she comes across a guy named Jared who is kind to her initially, but then keeps showing up unannounced. Throughout the book, we learn that Jared is a half-breed, half angel and half human, and his family are assigned to Nina's family. Jared's father was responsible for Nina's and Jared is responsible for Nina. His angelic abilities ensure he is able to keep all things Hellish from Nina, and he's being doing this for many, many years. However, Jared falls in love with Nina and Heaven & Hell forbids any relationship with her.

I'll try not to drone on unnecessarily and leave out as many spoilers as possible....but, what I will say is the first book was really difficult for me to get my teeth into. I have no idea if this is early Mcguire writing but it seemed to be lacking her normal sparkle. Nina seems whiny, the other characters seem a bit underdeveloped, the scenes are a bit cliche.....I wasn't a massive fan, and I'll be honest, it took some effort to get through it which is disappointing as her other books are just SO good.

It well worth persevering with because books 2 & 3? Wet your pants, stay up for hours into the morning reading kinda good. Absolutely LOVED books 2 & 3, the pace was quicker and the characters better developed. We are also introduced into interesting characters, we're taken out of Providence, so much good stuff going on. Can't gush enough how much better the later books are.

Was very torn about the star rating I should award. I eventually settled on a high 3 but not quite a 4 star, I would have awarded much higher based on books 2 & 3 alone.
on 9 November 2012
Never read anything like this before. It was excellent. Can't praise it enough. Pure escapism and couldn't put it down until finished all three. More please!!!
on 12 November 2012
I read Beautiful Disaster before I bought this trilogy. I have to admit after reading B.D. I really wanted to see what other books Jamie McGuire had written. I came across the first book (I don't think the others had been published yet.) I was really excited thinking I couldn't wait to read another book by this author. But I have to say when I read the synopsis, I didn't really think that the book was really my thing, so I put it off for AGES and AGES until one day I was like you know what?! I'm just going to buy it and read it, you never know - especially as I LOVED the other book. So, I bought all three in one go and I have to say, I am SO glad I did! I could not put it down, I just didn't want to stop reading! I had to know what was going to happen next! I think I read all three in like a week.. Maybe two. (I can't quite remember as I read them a little while ago..) I have to say *SPOILER ALERT* part of me really wanted Nina to end up with Ryan but when I read on and it turned out who he was meant to be for I was really glad.. and in a way it made it funny - I laughed and cried through out reading those because you're like NO that shouldn't happen!! and other times you can't help but to laugh. I would definitely recommend you to read this - yes it may have some super natural aspects but it's not the usual kind and Jamie really made it work. I loved all three!
The only thing I will say is that as I purchased the trilogy on my kindle I found that the font was really microscopic, so I did have to fiddle with the font sizes to the largest font in able to read them which I haven't had to do before. Well, except for the book I bought before this and I can't tell if that effected the font for these?! I don't know, but if it happens to anyone else, let me know because then I won't feel as silly.
Hope this review helps.. :-)
on 30 December 2015
I absolutely LOVE this series!!! Jared is wonderful and amazing!!! I was completely hooked and sucked in from the very beginning!!! There were parts where it reminded me of Twilight. Jared is very strong, smart, gorgeous, protective and would do absolutely anything for Nina. She is his whole world and together they are a force that is so strong and amazing to see. I loved getting to know both of them and follow them on their journey. Of course it wasn't always easy and it took some time but once they got it all figured out their were inseparable. It's a beautiful story that I enjoyed
on 4 February 2013
I did not find that there was any depth to the characters and therefore, when it went into fantasy, I found it somewhat unbelievable. It is an interesting enough read and I followed it through to the end. In a way it is rather naive. Also the third book was not well edited - several mistakes. This would not be a favourite of mine but anyone who likes fiction about angels, demons, etc. might enjoy this trilogy.
on 18 July 2012
AMAZING!! A MUST BUY!! I read Beautiful Disaster first, i wanted another book like it so searched other books from the author. I found these and admit i wasnt sure if they were my kind of books from the description, but the reviews were great so took a chance and got them. I am so glad i did! The description does not do these books justice. I couldnt put them down finished the 3 in a matter of days. Jamie McGuire is such a talented writer and i just get lost in her books. If your thinking of purchasing these books but are not sure, take the chance! You wont regret it! I will read these books again and again. I hope Jamie brings out more series like this!!
on 30 July 2012
I recently received a kindle and have been reading books that I would never have read. I read Jamie's other book, Beautiful Disaster and was keen to sample her other books. Seeing as this was already a trilogy I thought I would give them a try. I have read the Twilight books twice over and thoroughly enjoyed them, they were not my usual read and neither is this.

Written from the viewpoint of Nina the book starts off with the death of her father. When she meets a mysterious Jared at the bus stop on her way home from the funeral. When their relationship becomes deeper we are thrown into a world of angels and demons and this is where the story takes us.

Perhaps the love story isnt as an intense a read as the writing of Bella and Edward, but it has its own chemistry that makes you want to know how the story goes.

The first book Providence is the longer of the three and I thought my gosh these are incredibly long stories, but book 2 (Requiem) is shorter and book 3 (Eden) is shorter still. It seems most authors write longer novels as they progress through the story, but I feel Requiem and Eden could have been combined into one book.

However, regardless of length the story is a page turner, it lags in bits, but the extra characters, namely Claire, add humour and dimension to the story.

I loved the fact that the story had reference to the bible, almost making it seem like it could be real, where as vampires are just fictional.

It isn't a hard read, but is a good read that will help pass a few quiet evenings.
on 11 May 2014
I was a little apprehensive to read this because I am generally not a fan of paranormal romance, but man am I glad I did! This series is absolutely phenomenal! Jared is the perfect man! This series is one of the sweetest love stories I have ever read with a good mix of danger, action, and adventure! There are no dull moments like so many books have! There are a few big twists which I love because it makes the story so unpredictable!! A must read if you like romance!