on 2 November 2017
A superb series. Brilliant writing and acting. A real insight into the workings of the BBC News in the fifties.
I cared about the characters and their fate. To me, that is the real proof of a great story.
I thoroughly recommend this.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 January 2018
I watched a couple of episodes when this was first broadcast and was delighted to come across the box set. The only complaint I have is they never did more series of this wonderful programme.
One person found this helpful
on 6 May 2013
The hour is a suspense thrilling series involving espionage during the fifties. It is mainly set at the BBC concerning a weekly series called the hour which discusses the news and issues that concern England. A sort of current affair of today, except the station is gagged by the government on local issues unless they have been reported prior by another country. Free speech is supposed to be "free" but of course it is not. The stories draw you in and you are taken to another time and place. I was on the edge of my seat with suspense. All the actors are great, the sets and costumes are brilliant and I will watch this again as I am sure that the more you watch this, the more you will discover. This is extremely well written and performed, one of the best series I have seen for a long time. I highly recommend that you watch this series. Again only the British can make such brilliant drama. I say this as I am Australian and I can clearly say that the British leave all others for dead. Excellent
4 people found this helpful
on 18 February 2013
Wow - If you missed this you really ought to see this and tell others about it! It is amongst the best UK drama series in years: watch it for the story, watch it for the style - a true gem! Set in the 1950's in a BBC Television news studio - It has a bit everything: drama, passion, crime, espionage, and history. Romola Garai, Ben Whishaw, Dominic West, Oona Chaplin, and the superb Anna Chancellor are perfectly cast. Just hope the BBC will commission a third series!
on 19 March 2013
This is great television, and one of the best series I have seen recently, highy enjoyable and entertaining with a fascinating plot. Stayed up late to see several episodes at each sitting. I thought the second season was even better than the first. I really hope the BBC produce a third season.
11 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2013
I'm only on the 3rd episode of this series and am well and truly hooked. The story and dialogue are impeccable every episode leaves you wanting more. The cast is superb giving 3 dimensional performances that allow us to sympathise with each character, flaws, warts and all. I'm so glad I decided to take the leap and buy this sight unseen, well worth the money.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 July 2014
I don't quite know how the BBC could cancel a show that's about a BBC show trying not to get cancelled, with exquisite performances ad the most brilliant script. I'm so mad at the beeb for cancelling this but I have found it to be very re-watchable. It also makes a great present I think I've bought it three times now...!
on 17 January 2016
Series One & Two, simply wonderful entertainment. Great story lines and dialogue delivered brilliantly by ALL actors. The fashion , hair, make up and sets are a delight to see. As enjoyable as anything produced by HBO, well done BBC.
on 17 April 2013
This is one of the great BBC productions with meticulous attention to details of the period including dress, attitudes and the first forays into television journalism. It also reflects days when journalists took their craft seriously, followed stories where they led, had a real feel for ethics and knew a good story when they saw one. Romola and Dominic West are top class and only just shade the rest by a small margin. When does Series 3 begin?
5 people found this helpful