on 5 February 2014
As one of the few residents of the UK yet to watch the 2 concluding parts of the final Season 5, I cannot wait to complete my viewing of the series and yet perhaps I have delayed the finale as I do not want to finish - that feeling when you are reading a great book and you only have a chapter to go. I can absolutely, unashamedly recommend Breaking Bad. All the characters are great but Walter and Jesse are captivating and the relationship between the two of them grows and changes. Walter's personal journey and transformation is A-maz-ing! Love Hank the brother-in-law and all the cast. I have even gone back & watched episodes with the narration, awesome and so interesting. I thank my niece and nephews for introducing me to BB. It is a hard-hitting series about illness and change, relationships, drugs, desperation and violence with some very gruesome bits occasionally. It depicts what people are capable of doing, when they are driven to extremes! Buy it, rent it just Watch it!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 February 2014
Breaking Bad is probably the best kept secret ever. I think most people only heard of it through word of mouth, went on to watch it and then got immediately hooked. I actually feel quite envious of someone picking up season 1 for the first time, they have so much to look forward to.

It is extremely well plotted, very dark and intense at times, bloodily brutal but with flashes of genius black humour at others. The characterisation and acting is superb. We watched the characters develop through the series and also noticed how our own allegiances switched constantly in response from character to character. And no review is complete without a mention of Bryan Cranston and his superb performance. He doesn't even need to speak. Just one look at his face will have you wanting to give him all your money to pay for his treatment yourself, but in the next scene you feel like screaming at his wife, Skyler, to leave him whilst the going is good.

I love the little teasers in the way of flashbacks and flashforwards at the start of each episode, some of which go on through the season. We spent hours trying to work out the significance of the teddy bear but when it was finally revealed we were gobsmacked. No way in a million years could we have guessed that one! One of those "Oh My God" moments, which this series is stuffed with.

As we have watched the first four series, we have cried with Walter, worried with Skyler, fallen in love with Walt Jr, Hank and Mike, wanted to mother Jesse, laughed our socks off at Saul and enjoyed a very on-off relationship with Gus. Then the next episode we would "fall out" with half the characters. Our family has sat around the TV together and rooted for our favourites, cheering at times like at a football match. Then we spent mealtimes pulling each episode apart and trying to second guess what was going to happen next. If you haven't seen it, just buy it, slot the first DVD in and sit down and enjoy some of the best TV you will ever see with a storyline that is as addictive as the crystal meth Walt is cooking up!
on 30 April 2013
I started watching this online and got to half-way through series 2 and decided that I wanted the box set as it is so good and would wait until it arrived before watching any more - not an easy thing to do! Happy to say it arrived today and I can't wait to watch it, as I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. Brilliantly acted and the setting is great. The only disconcerting thing is that Walt looks like my dad did at that age! But I suppose that adds a little more fascination for me!

Thought I'd leave a comment on each season as I watch it:

Season 1:

Exciting, gets you hooked from the start as you learn a little about each character that is introduced. Really like the way they start each episode by showing something near the end and then show you how they got there.

Season 2:

Much darker than the first season. Some people have commented that this season isn't as good as the rest but I've found it very intense and absorbing as you get to see the darker side of Walt and Jesse.

Season 3:

A couple of odd episodes in this one - especially the one called The Fly! As always though the acting is incredible and the season finale is hand over mouth exciting!

Season 4:

I found this equally as good as the first, with the last three episodes being very tense ... and the last camera shot of the last episode is an OMG moment!
on 28 November 2013
There really is no other word for Breaking Bad. If you haven't seen it then this is a great value way of catching most of the series then I presume it's just a wait until all the episodes appear on one DVD for season 5 off Netflix. The acting has incredible depth and the characters come to life, developing as you work your way through the series with the setting of New Mexico working incredibly well to highlight the sometimes stark decisions the main characters face. I think it's one of those multi-series like The Wire that is worth anyone watching because the focus is so much on excellent writing and character development brought to life by actors at the top of their game in settings that are skilfully rendered. It's rare that everything comes together so incredibly well and I can't think of anything that could be done to improve what Vince Gilligan has put together here as writer, director and producer.
on 9 September 2013
I'm 55 years old. I've seen a LOT of telly in my life. Early memories are of b&w Flower Pot men.

I and my companion have just spend a weekend watching this show on DVD. I started Saturday afternoon, didn't stop until 1:30 on Sunday morning & then got up early Sunday to watch more, then spend Sunday evening watching the episodes she had missed with her, seeing subtleties i'd missed the nite/morning before.

I'm writing this on Monday at work. All I can think about is getting home tonight to get the TV switched on again.

Buy this, stock the fridge & take some time off from your normal schedule and get immersed!
on 23 October 2016
I can't fault this great series at all. At first I thought it would be another typical US series that would be terrible. But I kept hearing good things about it such as the storylines and I liked Bryan Cranston from the days of the comedy, "Malcolm in the middle". I haven't regretted buying Breaking Bad at all. It is very well written and the cast is fantastic. Although I don't really like violence, it is very much enjoyable to watch.
on 17 May 2017
Bought this on advice from friend "best thing on telly". . . as I do not watch TV and he is more often than not on the mark. Well all I can say is if this was the best thing on TV then the rest, utter rubbish . It is entertaining though not very credible, one or two moments are worth all the rest, if you have the stamina.
on 26 August 2014
This is a show that was recommended to me by all of my friends over and over again. I finally decided to give in and watch it. I am so glad I did.

This is the best show I've ever watched. Brilliantly written, acted and directed. This isn't a show about drug dealers. This is a show about regular people and how temptation can take hold of you. It's about how we use each other to get the things we want, how we rationalise the evil things we do and how everyone has a different take on what is right and wrong.

I'm a 24 year old male and am currently re-watching this collection with my 26 year old sister and 60+ year old father. They are loving it just as much as I did first time round and I am actually enjoying it more on my second viewing. Very re-watchable.
on 13 April 2014
I bought this for my dad for Christmas but he didn't get past season 1 as he decided he didn't like it. I borrowed it from him and absolutely love it! The characters are so fascinating (what superb acting) and the storyline just gets better and better.
It is stressful, chaotic and exhausting living through the characters at times, but there are so many good outcomes that it makes it a pleasure to watch.
The stories are simple to follow, yet funny, dark, gritty and just plain brilliant. It is as addictive as the substance it centres around.
on 13 October 2013
For sheer inventiveness, originality, ingenuity and three-dimensional character creation, this must top the list of best-ever quality US TV seies. Is there anything to say tha hasn't already been said about this astonishingly detailed and compelling series? From the landscape, through the plot twists and turns, to the impeccable A-class acting, Breaking Bad could not be bettered. AND it comes with ethical questions to keep one thinking about for a long time.
Recommended to any viewer with an appreciation of the above qualities - unless they have an aversion to violence which, on those occasions when it features, is truly shocking (and truthful)