on 23 July 2016
A quick note about my benchmarks.
They were all run using the same SanDisk SD adaptor on a Toshiba S70N-10B 4700HQ, 16GB, Windows 8.1 laptop that has a built in SD card reader. The cards are not factory fresh and are all in regular use in tablets, phones, sat navs and cameras.

PACKAGING & CONTENTS.
--------------------------------------
Official SanDisk MicroSD card packaging largely hasn't changed for a long time. The cards are supplied in a card backed blister pack that are opened by simply folding the cardboard in half, allowing the plastic section bearing the contents to be easily removed. One thing that has changed is that they have recently added a plastic film seal on the back of the plastic, given that the contents were already secure this is perhaps an unnecessary inclusion.

The SanDisk MicroSD card range is available both with and without an SD adaptor, do not make the assumption that those with an adaptor are more expensive as more often than not you can actually find them available cheaper... so much so I can't recall the last time I bought a card without an adaptor.

With the Ultra range of MicroSD cards the only other contacts within the package (other than an SD adaptor if you bought a card with one) will be a warranty leaflet (the standard SanDisk Ultra MicroSD cards come with a 10 year warranty, something I will discuss in depth further in my review).

The Extreme range again has the same warranty leaflet (although the Extreme cards have a 30 year warranty) and there is also a separate leaflet with a CD Key for a 1 year subscription to Rescue Pro Deluxe (file recovery software). If you have ordered an Extreme card in the standard SanDisk packaging take care when opening the blister pack as this latter leaflet is very easily to damage / tear when doing so.

Unlike SanDisk official packaging Amazon frustration free packaging has changed over time. My most recent purchases (July 2016) of Ultra and Extreme cards in frustration free packaging have been sent in large (C5 ish) white cardboard envelopes with a tearaway tab to gain entry. Inside the leaflet(s) are loose and the memory card and adaptor are held in placed in the same plastic container found on the official packaging with a film backing.

In truth, both forms of packaging require the same effort to gain entry and the only real difference is if you order an Extreme card in frustration free you are guaranteed not to tear the CD Key leaflet while gaining entry.

THE WARRANTY.
-------------------------
Firstly, I should state that over the last 7 years I have purchased some 30+ SanDisk MicroSD cards for friends, Family and myself and thus far there has been no complaints of missing files, corruption or failure during this time.

On the actual warranty leaflet supplied with Ultra and Extreme MicroSD card it actually states that the ultra has a "10 year warranty in Germany and regions not recognising a lifetime limited warranty" and the Extreme states "30 year warranty in Germany and regions not recognising a lifetime limited warranty".

As far as I am aware the term Lifetime Warranty stands true in the UK, it however does not mean what you might expect it to. It does not mean for the life of the owner and nor does it mean forever, what it actually means is the life of the product, which in its self is slightly ambiguous.

The truth of the matter is the life of the product is determined entirely by the manufacturer. Once the product is "end of line" or "discontinued" the product has reached the end of its life. An example would be if you own some VHS tapes or cassette tapes with a lifetime warranty those would now be considered end of life or discontinued (yes, I know there are perhaps some still being made somewhere, this is just an example) and thus the warranty is technically no longer valid. (I'm not saying the warranty will end the day production ceases, I'm just trying to explain the warranty length is not entirely clear cut).

Given that specific lengths are stated (10 years for the Ultra and 30 years for the Extreme) one would assume that at the very least the periods stated would be honoured as a minimum. Given the long warranty periods offered for both cards is one of the prime (non pun intended) reasons I chose to buy such products from Amazon as unless you are a black belt document filing guru its always nice to know recipts are quickly and easily obtainable.

There is one final point to make regarding the SanDisk Ultra / Extreme MicroSD card warranty and this is something that might perhaps surprise a few, it did me when I found out. If you use your Ultra / Extreme MicroSD card as a boot drive such as in a Rasperry Pi you are in fact invalidating the warranty of your card.

As previously noted I have never had a SanDisk card fail, however when doing some research for a friend who wanted to buy a Pi for his nephew, I came across a few forum posts of the Rasperry Pi site claiming that SanDisk were refusing RMA requests for cards that had been used as boot drives on the Pi. Evidence was posted to back this up and SanDisk claimed that using the drive in such a manner came under the "excessive use" clause in their T&C.

While you are perfectly fine using the cards with phones, tablets, cameras, sat navs etc, etc if you are looking for a card to use as a boot drive it might be worth checking the terms and conditional of alternative cards. This is not an endorsement, but as far as I am aware the official Pi NOOB cards are Samsung MicroSD cards (at least they were when I bought one in 2015).

HOW TO TEST FOR A GENUINE SANDISK PRODUCT.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cloned cards have always and always will be a problem. Clones of cheaper cards are usually very easy to spot, it's simply not worth their while to spend the money to make it look exactly like the real thing. More expensive cards like the 64GB Extremes however a good quality clone would can be almost indistinguishable to the eye. Thankfully, there are some tools to help you confirm the authenticity of your purchase.

It is always worth checking your cards as soon as you receive them regardless of the source they were obtained from, yes even if it was from Amazon. The fact is clones can enter the supply chain at any point either intentionally or unintentionally.

To test the card on an Android mobile device an App called "SD Insight" can be used that will show the manufacturer details of the card. (Clones are usually cheaper cards that have been rebranded and this will show them up).

On a PC the cards can be tested using a program called H2testw (it can also test USB drives as well). H2testw is actually a little more useful as this will also detect if the card has been hacked to make it look like it has a larger capacity than it actually has.

Another test that can be used is CrystalDiskMark to speed test the card to make sure it is capable of the speeds the drive is supposed to. (Actual speeds can vary depending on the machine the test is being run on, do not be concerned unless the speeds vary significantly from what they should be as the variables to factor in during speed testing are many in number).

WHICH CARD IS BEST FOR ME?, THE ULTRA OR EXTREME?
This section really deserves some sort of fancy flow chart, but the fact of the matter is the difference between the Ultras and the Extremes (beyond the longer warranty) is simply a matter of speed... but there is slightly more to it than that.

Cameras - The Ultras are more than capable of handling a 1080p camera @ 30fps. Sadly, I cannot comment regarding 1080p @60 FPS, but for a 4k camera you should buy an Extreme or Extreme PLUS.

Movies - The Ultras can handle uncompressed full sized DVD.MKV's files on tablets and phones (transfer rate is only about 10-12 Mbps). For Blue-ray files (that are uncompressed) the transfer rate recommended (according to the official Blue-ray site) is 72MBps, as such an Extreme card is perhaps required. That said, it is possible to compress such files using a program like Handbrake and you might get away with an Ultra card.

Tablets / Phones - Obviously the previous two comments also apply when it comes to mobile devices, but there are additional notes to consider when buying a card for a mobile device. The Ultra cards in their 16GB / 32GB formats are perfectly viable cards for entry level and mid range phones. They can handle music, movies, photos (even very large DSLR photos) with ease. For the more modern flagship phones capable of 4k filming an Extreme would be a more suitable companion (or even an Extreme Pro).

If you also use your MicroSD card as partial storage for Apps on older versions of Android or even full blown installations on the more recent versions then this is another situation where the Extreme will make a difference. (Although it should be noted that neither the Ultra or Extreme will offer the same speeds as built in storage on your device).

The last thing to consider is simply that of data transfer speeds. While the 16GB and 32GB Ultras are excellent cards if you do any form of data transfer or backup on a regular basis you might want to consider the Extreme cards.
review image review image review image
on 26 April 2014
First of all, I would like to say don't try to save and buy these cards from unknown stores and when you receive them always test them with h2testw utility. A lot of these cards are fake (much lower capacity than expected) and if you get one you will probably have a hard time with it.

I bought this card about 1-2 years ago and it performed great, although, recently it started failing writing. Card contents could be read, but not written and literally nothing can be done. I have filed a waranty claim for that. This shows 1 huge benefit on Ultra series micro SDs the "Lifetime" waranty (10 years in regions where lifetime is not recognized).

I bought another one a few days ago just because the first one performed well and I need a working micro SD for my phone while current one is being replaced.

I tested both cards with h2testw utility after purchase. They were both the same capacy (64gb) as expected, so they are not fakes.
That aside both cards have had similar read write speeds:
Write: 11.6MB/s, Read: 17.8MB/s during the test.
During normal use
Write: 9-11MB/s, Read: 13-15MB/s whenever I paid attention.

Keep in mind both are peak rates, and you will only get them when copying fairly large files. High amount of small files the average speed.
on 1 November 2015
SanDisk are my go to brand when it comes to memory cards.

Whilst this 32GB class 10 is among the better ones as not only does it offer more space but it reads and writes faster too.

Used in smartphones I own it works perfectly well.

Over the years I have owned many memory cards the vast majority of which are SanDisk.

Due to my line of work I get through memory cards quicker than most, but the failure rate with any from SanDisk has been better than some other brands I have used. The returns and replacement procedure for cards in warranty is a bit of a hassle if you use cards on virtually a daily basis and by the time you have logged the issue, done all the necessary steps required and sent it back it is not worth it in my opinion. Despite this I continue to use SanDisk as on the whole they offer good value for money.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2015
Under nine quid for a 32gb micro card proved irresistible for me. Having read reviews the first thing I headed for was the serial number on the back of card. There it was. Only problem is the only other micro San Disk card that I own has no number on back 8gb and that's been working well with music files for three years.

The adapter allowed me to discover that the SD card slot front of my Panasonic blu ray player does indeed play immaculate videos. Without sound. Playing the same full HD video, the card in the camera via hdmi lead had the same image quality but with sound.

Card took six days from Switzerland to arrive ordered from Base and enclosed in cardboard envelope. Hope my photos explain the rest.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 13 February 2016
Sandisk is a brand I can trust and this card has worked well with no errors at all for 12 months. 64 GB is a lot of space and I have never needed any more.

Update: Still going strong after two years of constant use. What a great product.

This product was a personal purchase for myself at the normal retail price. I am reviewing it solely because I want to share my experience with other potential customers. I have received no compensation for my review nor do I have any relationship with the seller or manufacturer of this product
on 15 May 2014
What's to say? The packaging was simple and easily disposed of, the card itself looks nice and runs at a decent clip. I've not measured it because I'm not that fussed about specific speeds, but it's fast enough to run programs off on my Asus T100, albeit not quite as rapidly as off the built in storage.

Whether it'd be worth going for a slightly cheaper model, I'm not sure. Presumably this one is slightly faster, I mainly bought it because I've always had good experiences with Sandisk cards in the past as a photographer.

Though that red and grey design is much nicer than generic black...
on 14 August 2017
I bought this item a couple of years ago to provide memory expansion for my Galaxy Note 4 smartphone. After a good 2 years of problem free use, one day after restarting my phone i had an onscreen message telling me that the SD card was not compatible/formatted for my phone. Despite numerous attempts to transfer many photos and songs off of the card, in order to do a reformat, I could not get ANY device to even recognise the card! After sending the card off to a professional data recovery service, I was informed that there was a problem with the memory area itself and recovery was not possible. Firstly, yes I AM a fool for not backing up such important data elsewhere, also I will be thinking twice about buying a SanDisk card again after many years of not having to worry about the brand. I'm looking for trusted alternatives if anyone is able to offer any advice?
on 21 December 2015
First Impressions; Cheap, Well-known Brand, Adapter Included!!

What's in the box;
- Micro SD to SD Adapter
- SanDisk Ultra 16GB Micro SD--

What I love;
+ It works!
+ It's reliable!
+ It's a well-known brand!
+ It includes an SD Adapter!

What could be improved;
- Nothing, does what it's designed to do and is reliable.

Conclusion; Fast, Reliable, Great for use in Smartphones/ Tablets.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 January 2014
I purchased this direct from Amazon to avoid the possibility of receiving a fake one. It arrives formatted in exFAT and both my Samsung Android devices didn't recognise it - they only appear to support FAT32. Therefore, I wouldn't necessarily read too much into the 'Android' marketing blurb. To change the format to FAT32 I put it into my Samsung Android MP3 player and hit the 'Format SD Card' tab in the Settings menu and it was then good to go. Copying MP3 files from my PC was a slow process (average speed of 4.25 MB/second) but I suppose it depends on your equipment. Holds close on 500 CDs worth of music encoded at 320kbps. The included adapter is very handy.
on 31 August 2017
This card was great for a couple of years, but I had it plugged into a SD reader USB stick for months and one day it just stopped working, took it out to see it had split down the middle clean through, despite not having been taken out of the USB stick for ages.