on 23 May 2016
I'm sure there's an age gradient in the reviews of this, with the older readers tending to give the highest ratings and younger ones tending to give the lowest ratings. I read it at school and have re-read it again now and then over the years. It builds slowly then moves quickly and ends abruptly. That's it. In between there's all the pirate stuff and derring-do the title suggests. It probably does seem slow and boring to younger readers, but that may be something to do with how literature is treated at school these days. I have two children, one now 27, the other 18, who were not moved by this book at all, but at least it's still on the curriculum reading list.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2017
Having read this with my son when he was young I had forgotten the story. As I shared the reading with my wife I hadn't read all of it anyway.
Many years later I started watching Black Sails on Amazon Prime, which was written as a prequel to Treasure Island ( though definitely not for kids!). When the final series ended I tried to find my original copy of the book, but it must have been given away. So I downloaded the book and thoroughly enjoyed my bedtime read.
on 7 July 2015
I fondly remember reading this book when I was a child and 25+ years on I've just had the pleasure of reading the story to my young daughter.

I was a wonderful opportunity to relive the excitement of one of the great stories of our time. It should be obligatory for all children to read Treasure Island and I hope they enjoy it as much as I have continued to do so.

Not only that but I was able to relive the book through a free Kindle download...even better!!
on 7 July 2017
A cracking yarn that even adults can enjoy. Long John Silver has a more varied character than Walt Disney would portray, he could "Win Friends and Influence People" when he wanted to. The writing allowed you to visualize what was happening (but I have never seen the famous film to help me).
on 21 November 2013
Treasure Island was always one of my favourite books even though it must be more than sixty years since I first heard of it at school. It has everything in it from adventure to travel and even the story itself puts one into the adventure as the young Jim Hawkins. I even remember my school master having the class enact parts of the book in a play. I always remember my school master getting into the part as Long John Silver and when showing the class how to express the lines he bellowed," Another bottle of Jim, Rum lad." I still laugh about that. Now I have my own book of Treasure Island and can sail as often as I want. The book for me rates AAA1 all the way.
on 17 April 2013
I loved this book since the first time I read it when I was about eight or nine. I feel it is a classic book and have read it several times during my life. I got it again for my Kindle so that I can read it once more. It is a story of smugglers,ships, dastardly deeds, a young boy caught up and used. What imagination the author used. It makes one wonder about people back in time, they were not so different as now, to produce such a great tale. lots of things one remembers. The Black Spot. Pieces of Eight, the cry from Long John Silver's parrot. It is worth a studied read, with loads of enjoyment. Evelyn Steward
on 18 April 2017
These day's people don't understand classics it's not a reading topic but some of the best classics stay on this is one of them .
Once you start you can't stop I couldn't put it down.
It's a memorable book that's stays with us its a definite classic read and you'll love it
on 29 May 2015
Nice to renew my acquaintance with this story after reading it as a school boy. This time I had more understanding of it so enjoyed it more. The style of writing is understandably slightly antiquated but this in no way detracts from the excitement of the novel. I have rated it a star higher because I was also able to download a free audible book to go with it which added to my enjoyment.
on 2 September 2016
Having seen and enjoyed numerous film and TV versions, I've finally got round to reading this classic. Written as a boys own adventure, it will appeal to all ages. Written in fairly simplistic language, I fairly and enjoyably raced through the book. Well recommended!
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2015
A great classic . I first read this as a child and it continues to fascinate and enthrall. Great stories like this never go out of fashion as the recent Black Sails TV Series highlights. Children of all ages will love this and it really sparks the imagination with its breadth of characters and depth of plot.