on 23 August 2014
I decided to read this book because it is widely regarded as a great classic, but was disappointed and gave up having read about three quarters of it. It is certainly atmospheric but decidedly gloomy and I was often uncertain as to exactly what was going on. Although the writing is obviously of the highest standard, I found the story to be hard work and boring, so for this reason I have only given it two stars and would hesitate to recommend it.
on 21 April 2015
Had been meaning to read this for a long time and never seemed to get round to it. There is some language and some sentiments which jar on our modern ears and which we wouldn't use now. In the day, Conrad was trying to comment on the idiocy underlying colonialism. It has been criticised by moder African literary figures. Still worth a read, with those caveats, as a step on the journey.
VINE VOICEon 24 December 2012
This book is a searing indictment of the 2009 Banking Crisis.

Kurtz is the star trader/future CEO gone bad, his methods unsound and lacking all restraint. His Bank 'tear treasure out of the bowels of the land.....with no more moral purpose..than there is in burglars breaking into a safe'. The bowler-hatted regulator sits in his office by the River ignorant of the trading around him.

Some other people might say it's about Colonialism, moral fibre, doing what's 'right'. Seriously good (with the added bonus of being a 'classic' that isn't a thousand pages long).
on 24 March 2016
I was disappointed by this really. But it is a book of its time and perhaps I'm being harsh judging it by modern standards. I found it difficult to read - it was long winded and had no pace.
on 28 November 2014
I first read this many years ago, and it's just as good when re-reading it. It's justifiably a classic of literature. It's quite short but well describes the utter madness and ultimate futility of the Europeans rush to make as much as they can from their African colonies. Written from his personal experiences it makes an exhilarating read.
on 11 March 2016
Having not previously been a fan of Conrad after reading him at school, I was astonished by the narrative flow and light touch of this very short work, dealing as it does , with some very dark and depressing themes.
I could not praise it more highly
I particularly recommend reading it ,then following on with a rewatch of Apocalypse Now
on 26 September 2016
Fantastically evokes the the jungle wilderness. I love the fact you mostly only get to hear about Kurtz mostly through third parties. I so want to know how he did the things he did. It reminds me a little of the ending to "No Country for Old Men". The big fight scene at the end happens off screen. Slightly frustrating, but brilliantly done.
on 22 January 2015
Conrad tells us that the universe is simultaneously creating and devouring its creation. This is constant and oppressive. Kurtz, then Marlowe, understand that humans are not merely detached observers watching this unfold. We are like the universe in character and act because we are inescapably of it. The same energy that tumbles blindly across the universe destroying all it creates courses through our veins and into our Heart of Darkness. Eventually the universe will kill all the brutes. You, like Kurtz, might as well go with the flow.
on 13 December 2014
There's nothing new about human exploitation of others, so it boils down to how the tale is told.

Yes, it had some beautiful evocative language, and the book's title couldn't have said it better... but overall this was a rambling diary, and should be read as such.
on 1 February 2015
Ok, I would not pick this book if I didn't have to read it. I had difficulties getting into the rhythm of this dark and gloomy story, painfully and tediously slow. But over half way I kind of emphasised and merged into Marlow' s character so the end of the book was not too bad to get through. Anyhow I would not getting back to it.