on 5 September 2016
I would have given this book 5 stars if the main female character hadn't been a bit of a cardboard entity who existed solely to fulfil the desires of the main male character. It does get points for being first-of-a-kind though, and a lot of the dialogue and action was very interesting. If you're looking for explicit sex, this won't deliver, but it goes in depth into the psyche of the male submissive masochist, which is both this book's best strength and it's biggest weakness (that, despite the idolization of the female character, the writer just couldn't quite make her convincing enough to me). So it really depends what you're looking for, but I don't regret reading it at all.
on 17 January 2017
Often the story is bulked out by the to and fro of arguments about whether or not each lover should treat the other the way that the other requests, and both characters can come across as being whiny, or even a little insane. But ultimately, the poetic prose, and heavenly dark imagery is fantastic, had by the end does highlight the oxymoronic desires of love and lust. It leaves one to question; does love exist, or are we simply beasts of dominance?
on 14 May 2016
Great Classic Cult story, really good to read
on 27 October 2017
I know this is a classic,but I didn't like it.
on 30 October 2015
The classic bdsm novel. Can't be faulted.
on 5 October 2015
Thanks
on 27 September 2014
This is an intensely irritating book. I suspect one would have to be a masochist to enjoy it. I really struggled to get to the end of it and many times felt like whipping the protagonist myself and telling him to grow up and get on with it.
on 19 February 2015
I bought this after it appeared in a list of Top Kinky Books.... (that wasn't the actual title, but close enough) and so I was disappointed. Perhaps if I had had different expectations I might have enjoyed it more. It is an interesting look at the darker sides of S+M personalities.
on 8 June 2015
So this is the book that defines masochism. It's a very interesting to read but I cannot apply the terms like or dislike to it.
on 20 July 2014
Having known about this publication for years, I'd never read it, but am glad I did. Considering it was first published in 1870, much of the content seems to influence everything that is written since then about a male wishing to submit to a female. For me, this book defines the basics of such relationships and serves as a warning to men who have similar inclinations. Excellent read as far as I am concerned.