on 3 October 2017
What an amazingly strong lady, I literally couldn't put this book down.. A fantastic book that i recommend everyone should read. It makes you appreciate how lucky we are and what we have in life → FREEDOM! A simple right that's overlooked and one that's deserved by everybody regardless of creed or colour!.
on 3 April 2017
Her story is a story of an indestructible human spirit. Her tale is a story of chess moves, with the the stake much higher, played between her and Dr Flint, with plenty of alternate players from both sides. Her story is a story of a mother's tenacity. Her story shows the very devil in man, but also the angels amongst us. Her story is also a real page turner.
on 17 July 2017
As sad and compelling a narrative, I felt bereathed for Linda and her Family. Shockingly cruel times. I enjoy reading truths of past times.
on 24 May 2013
So much is wrong with this world, it amazes me that only 150 years ago we humans could have been so inhuman to each other and accepted slavery as a legitimate way of living. I know that it still occurs today, in many forms around the world, but thank goodness it is no longer the accepted norm. A very well written account of one poor persons incarcerated life. Makes you feel lucky to be free.
on 21 September 2017
Fantastic.and heartbreaking,we as a race are years away from true enlightenment,how men can be so cruel to other men is a burden of shame that should never be relinquished or easily forgotten....absolute power corrupts absolutely....
on 20 February 2013
If this was fiction, I would be complaining that the author was trying to be like Alice Walker on her worst day. The story is interesting but has sadly been told better in previous mentioned fiction. Also, like other reviewers, I was surprised at just how highly literate the writer was as she had suffered such treatment from slave owners. But hey ho what do I know.
on 20 July 2017
very good true story and very well written accout of her life
on 5 October 2014
Jacobs tells her story in such a compelling way that I was left with an overriding admiration for her indomitable spirit. This is a must read story about slavery from a slave woman's perspective.
on 2 November 2017