Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 14 April 2017
Very good
on 3 August 2012
The central character Lola is an eccentric grandmother who lives in the families motel, works in the local charity shop and enjoys nothing more than spending the odd hour surfing the internet. She's very much the lynchpin of the family who they all turn to for advice, especially granddaughters Bett and Carrie, in their hour of need.

Normally the family would all come together to spend Christmas together at the motel but this year Lola convinces them all to go away and take a much needed break leaving her to enjoy the solace of her own company. But little do they know what she has planned...

Lola's Secret deals with a lot of complex issues such as sibling rivalry, jealously grief and depression but in a witty and touching manner.

It might have helped me to have read The Alphabet Sisters beforehand as there were the odd references to events that were covered in that book but it wasn't essential and it didn't deter from the story within this book. This was a charming read and I'll definitely be looking to read some more of Monica's books in the future.
on 9 May 2017
Having read The Alphabet Sisters it left some questions to be answered about Lola's earlier life so I decided to read this. So many of the characters are too good to be true and the storyline a little thin but nevertheless an OK read. Having had two Irish Grandmothers none were like Lola!!!!
on 9 September 2012
This is the first book by Monica McInerney that I have read. I loved the fact that the main character, Lola, is an octogenarian; it was refreshing to read about an older person for a change.

Through the relationships of various family members the story unfolds in a charming and easy-to-read style, but Lola remains my favourite character in this book and she was a delight to read.

I also really adore the cover to this version of the book.

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on 22 March 2015
I bought this in a book sale as light reading for a holiday, having never heard of the author before, so I wasn't expecting a great deal. Sometimes it's such a pleasure to be proved wrong!
This is an unusual and delightful read, which presents a refreshingly different perspective on a number of difficult subjects. The role of elderly in the community, the impact of bereavement on a family, adolescent angst and the challenges of adjusting to parenthood are all woven into a charming - if improbable - tale, which has an almost fairytale quality. It's funny and thoughtprovoking, and the deftness of the writing makes it easy to read.
One unexpected aspect that I particularly enjoyed was the way that IT facilitates the relationships between the characters, which is not something you'd expect from a book with an 80-something protagonist.
I didn't feel handicapped by not have read 'The Alphabet Sisters', but ideally you'd read that before this book, which is its sequel.
All in all, it's a cracking good read that you'll find hard to put down, and I look forward to reading more of Monica McInerney's work.
on 21 November 2012
I ordered this before I realized it was a sequel. However, having got the first novel, The Alphabet Sisters, It is a lovely read and well worth the effort to read No1 first! I'm not a fan of the Australian setting, but was totally won over by Monica. She is a great read, wonderfully effortless book to curl up with and I thoroughtly recommend to all who enjoy the Pilcher, Binchy novels.
on 31 October 2012
I didn't have huge expectations of this book as I hadn't read anything from the author.

I didn't realise it was the second book in a series either and I haven't read the 1st 'alphabet sisters' book.

The book started off slowly for me, then improved and then got back and then worse.

I wouldn't be put off reading from this author in future but I don't think I would specifically lookout for them either.
on 4 January 2013
This is an unusual story with the plot moving between wartime and the next generation in the same family. It has a twist at the end. If you have read other Monica McIrney books I am sure yoy will like this one. I recommend it to eople who enjoy stories which move between different periods freely and have slightly different content.
on 19 August 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I had just read the alphabet sisters,and Lola's secret,which is the follow up to this book flowed so well. The story is very moving and you just love Lola the more you read about her.I would highly recommend both these books if you enjoy a good read and want to get lost in a novel.
on 24 September 2012
I read this straight after The Alphabet Sisters, which is the first one, it's okay, in fact very nice in parts but I found it a little bit boring when Lola is doing all this reminiscing and going over what I had already read in the previous book. It's okay for a light read, but not gripping.