Customer reviews

Pikmin 3 (Nintendo Wii U)

on 9 April 2014
I knew nothing about Pikmin, but many reviews say how brilliant it is and I can't disagree. I'm a 45 year old male with three daughters (13, 11, 8) and we all love it. The co-op has taught them teamwork and the Bingo Battle tactics under pressure. The game looks beautiful and is great fun to play (we prefer the wiimote).

I really like the way all the battles/challenges are time limited so you can have a 10 minute game. We all like watching the others play - you learn from their tactics. It has been a smash hit in our family.
on 11 January 2014
This is my six-year-old daughter's "first" real video game. It's pitched just about spot on for her - not so easy that it's boring, not so tough that she doesn't want to play, and enough cuteness to keep her interested in what was going to happen next. The timed aspect of the story mode can be a bit frustrating for her, particularly if it took her a little while to figure out what she needed to do, but there's an option to start the level over again rather than fail at a mission. Looks beautiful too.
on 2 September 2013
You really cannot help get attached to each of the pikmin under your control in this adorable, addictive little game.
Taking the survival nature from the first entry and the collection element from the second, this game combines all that is good about each game and delivers a charming and still unique experience.
Getting 100% in the game can take a long time, but even after this there are challenge modes and multiplayer modes to enjoy, or you may just want to go back and complete the game again in a faster time.
The game makes great use of the Wii U gamepad for ordering your other captains around and managing the map, and all being well the Wii U will benefit from more A+ titles like this in the future.
on 5 October 2013
Absolutely brilliant, engaging, addictive and almost educational.
Only problem is, Dad has to help 7 year old son through some parts and according to his daughter is "obsessed" with it. It becomes increasingly hard to work out a strategy good enough to defeat the monsters and gain enough food to get through the day, but you can restart each day before it ends, to stop yourself being set back.
The multi-player game has a great handicap system to allow it to be fair to all players.

Overall I would seriously recommend it, we haven't reached the end yet, but hopefully we never will!
on 21 March 2016
What a great game! I never really got into Pikmin 1 or 2, but I picked this up and just had so much fun with it. Great gameplay, great visuals, great music and a great wee story. My only gripe is that it felt a bit short, but it has quite a lot of replay value. I can't wait for Pikmin 4.
on 19 September 2015
This is a strange game but I think I like it, for those of us a bit older think a 3D lemmings type game it has a fun stress free feel to it which is nice if you have been playing more frenetic games and need some relaxing gaming. The graphics are good and it is just really good fun and one of those gently compelling games that I keep going back to.
on 1 February 2014
This is one of those deceptive games where it looks colourful and easy and then you start playing! Visually it's a beautiful game to explore and in terms of playing it is challenging but certainly rewarding. I love all the different Pikmins which have their own specific powers and I don't much like when the horrible creatures eat them up and so I have dedicated hours of gaming time to keep my Pikmins safe. Addictive.
on 23 January 2014
This is a game which manages to be interesting without being too frustrating, and has absolutely exquisite graphics from a team who clearly love nature. There are flying pikmin, which add a whole set of new strategy options; there are both menacing and amusing boss fights, and you can just give the controller to a two-year-old and watch him happily discover what the joystick does and explore the world.
on 12 November 2013
I enjoyed Pikmin 3, the landscapes, the new Pikmins, the plot... but it's still not as funny as the first one, nor as long as the second one. Pikmin 1 gave a much lighter and varied experience, and Pikmin 2 had more longevity; Pikmin 3 is still very good, just not as "excellent".
Besides, I don't understand why they didn't implement online multiplayer: it would have improved vastly the longevity of this game! I read that it's because the "huge number of creatures" on screen would make it hard to coordinate in a network, but I find it hard to believe, considering that even with 100 pikmins on screen, the number of creatures (pikmin + captain + monsters) is nowhere close to the number of moving elements in a RTS like Starcraft, for example.
on 14 June 2015
Fantastic game that should be in any Wii U owner's cupboard. Only issue is that it has very little replay value and the multiplayer is a joke. By now we should have a fully fledged co-op.