Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.19

on 28 October 2010
Captain Gib Vobel has written an interesting book that will appeal to either the ordinary passenger or aircraft geek(sorry enthusiast)like me. It is well written and obviously strays on the more technical side, but not so much that only another A380 captain would understand it ! I can now fly the A380 with confidence ( both in my dreams and on Microsoft's flight simulator) I bought the book prior to flying Emirates A380 to Auckland from Manchester
(for real) and will try not to extend my knowledge to fellow passengers "did you know that the total fuel capacity on this aircraft is 254 tonnes, depending on specific gravity " blah, blah.
Must read it again to make sure I have missed nothing..... you never know both pilots might eat the fish !!
Buy it.
on 23 April 2015
I enjoyed it very much, i am interested in most things aviation, this being a superb plane produced by Airbus i really just wanted to learn more about the plane as very little info has been available. The book takes you on a flight from from Heathrow to Dubai explaining everything that goes into flyng a very large jet from A to B thats means all aspects of the flight from planning to touching down in Dubai. I was amazed at the amount of systems available to make the Crews job a lot easier to fly such a mammoth plane, a good read.
on 26 January 2016
Pilot's eye view of a flight from London to Dubai detailing every technical aspect of it - which may be over a lot of people's heads that are not pilots.
However one does get a sense of the size and complexity of modern aircraft.
Well written by Captain Vobel.
on 23 May 2016
Read this twice to make I hadn't missed anything then turned up at the Emirates crew hotel in a uniform from eBay and actually ended up flying the a380 all the way to Dubai without any problem. Been doing this for a few weeks now, the only problem is I'm not getting paid so have just started 'computer hacking for beginners' to get on the payroll. watch this space
on 23 October 2011
The author has written a highly technical flight manual that comprehensively explains a huge workload for pilots on a typical flight, from London to Dubai. I would say that this book is primarily for experienced pilots, due to the complex nature of aircraft systems and navigation, and although it is a most interesting read, the content (and many photographs of cockpit dials) may well challenge a mere layman. Nevertheless, I now have a really good insight as to what happens on a flight, and am most impressed with the whole story of flying such a giant aircraft.
on 27 October 2013
This book gave me a great insight into what it's like to fly an A380, plenty of things that I simply never knew, probably only any good for propellor heads I know, but I enjoyed it, good job to the author..
on 21 August 2013
This was ok-----I already have a decent knowledge of how planes operate, and this book got a little bogged down in the detail of the cockpit instrumentation etc. etc. What I was really looking for was a more personal account of what it was like during flights, and personal experiences etc. So, not bad, but not exactly what i was seeking.
on 8 January 2014
This book was bought for our 14 year old grandson who desperately wants to be a commercial pilot and even though he spends a lot of time on a flight simulator on his computer we thought the would get enjoyment from this book which he certainly has
on 24 February 2013
Very informative insider view of flying the Airbus. My only criticism (which keeps it off the 5-star rating) is that it is quite dry and technical. Maybe hard to avoid, given the subject matter.
on 29 July 2015
Having been a professional pilot for 35 years it was a most interesting update. I fear it will have been somewhat over technical for 'Mr Average'.