Top critical review
25 people found this helpful
watch what? nothing to see here
on 6 June 2014
lets start with the bad aspects and get these out the way first.
1. driving controls are horrendous, feels like youre riding a donkey on ice skates. the camera angle sits too low meaning invarioubly during timed missions and checkpoint timed missions you cant always see where your going when at speed. you need to always press D-pad ^ to change to long view.
2. The drinking mini game difficulty is ridiculously hard. mini games are meant to be fun, not long laborious processes that only a highly mentally and physically dextrous octopus can complete. Ubi need to run a patch on this, the drinking game is tied to an achievement, so unless you have unbelievable skill and patience your will not be able to 1000G this game. the current 21 pages of complaints on the Ubi website about this atests to this fact.
3. the missions and side missions are absolutely nothing special, drive here, profile this person, kill this person, escape. all missions are cut and paste of each other. the abundance of "side missions" is just pure filler trying to flesh out and make up for a below length campaign. the side missions are boring aswell. 40 fixer contracts( driving missions), 20 Convoy missions ( take down enemy convoys), 18 gang hideouts ( clear out from enemies). they all play out the same way.
4. Online play. 1vs hack and tail modes. unbelievably poor and boring. again, 1 achievement is tied to someone else invading your game and spying on you, basically meaning that you have to actually purposfeuly not do what youre supposed to do during MP and let the other guy win without getting sppotted. thats assuming that the servers actually matchmake properly and put people in your game, which they do not. there are hardly people playing this online, let alone playing the tailing mission. most people do the 1vs 1 online hacking which is slightly better. there is 8 player races available, but because driving is so poor and the xp rewards for winning races are so small that its just not fun or remotely interesting. MP is POOR!
5. The game world is very underpopulated, other then drive around and see the sights there is nothing to lose yourself in in this city, no buildings are enterable unless its a shop or minigame. NPCs dont do anything except walk around on the sidewalk, theres no interaction with NPCs other then to hack them. theres no hustle and bustle of the city, train stations are empty, streets underpopulated. looks like a ghost town most of the time.
Lets try the good:
1. Hacking is a nice innovation, security cameras are for once on your side in a videogame and come in very handy when doing missions. although eventually hacking does become a case of press X to hack 1000 times during the game quickly becomes standard instead of staying fresh.
2. combat is nice, the use of focus time and pinpointing headshots always feels good. weapons are distinctive, handle differently and pack a punch. the crafting of IEds, Blackout devices, Jam comms and other equipment is used and implemented well during the missions and really can be a lifesaver sometimes, especially when evading the cops!
3. AIden is a likeable character with a checkered past, hes not a generic military grunt like so many others.
4. the music is pretty decent. although this is subjective.
with 5 years of development behind this game, massive budget and being a daring 'New' IP, this really is a poor showing. so many flaws and negativity is circling this game. it had so much promise, so much excitement, it was a chance for Ubi to showcase what can be done on current and Next gen consoles. but although sales are strong due to good marketing. this is a poor game by comparison to the likes of GTA, Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row.
if you must have this game, then pick it up pre-owned. dont buy the season pass, the DLC wont be anything special. wait for UBI to sort out the aforementioned issues before you part with your money. i was very hyped for this game. but has turned out to be totally below average experience for the type of game Ubi promised us to be.