Customer reviews

on 3 December 2014
not the best and not the worst
on 22 February 2016
I have read another book by this author and really liked the character Miki. She seemed to have some type of mystery surrounding her. In this book A Black Deeper Than Death which by the way is free on Amazon and Amazon.uk we get to learn who Miki is and we learn a bit about her curse that has plagued her family.
You see Miki is a sixteen year old artist but she drinks like a lot, the curse she has is being able to feel what others feel. So someone hurts their hand and she is near well she will feel it too kind of freaky especially when she gets bruises and everything else on her body from this curse and she can not explain it to others. She drinks to dull her ability but does it really work?

When she ends up seeing a murder happen which has never happened before to her this opens so much more than just the normal for her. We see Miki try to become a "hero" which ends up putting her in a tough situation. I have to say when we find out who the killer really was I was like wow didn't even think of this person. There wasn't really any clues for us to follow so that was good.

I do think the author overused the whole "fake" id thing, I mean we know she has one but to be told more than once even when it different scenarios is too much.

I do plan on reading book two in this series as I can see Miki being a character that I will remember. I want to see what else she has in store for us especially with her ability.

The pace was steady, the mystery surrounding the murder/s was good, the characters were likable all in all a good read.
on 28 June 2012
Although a short novel, this first book in the Miki Radicci series feels like a full novel and I sped through it, trying to guess who the killer was before we got to the end of the book. Hint: I didn't guess who it was. I loved Miki, although she's a 16 year old art genius and alcoholic I felt that I could really connect with her and I loved her character. All of her actions are alcoholism are explained perfectly, which helped a lot!

The author describes this as YA Urban Noir Fantasy and I definitely agree with him - it has all the gritty, urban noir elements - crime scenes, dark streets and darker intentions. But we also have a few typical elements from YA Paranormal too - including a very attractive guy named Chris, who has inherited his Father's fortune - also known as a company who produces most of the cleaning products found under Miki's sink. Chris is really sweet and I really loved him!
But wait, there's more... Paranormal elements. As you've probably seen above Miki has a thing where she can feel other people's emotions - something that I really understand why it was a huge problem when her best friend Corey bangs his thumb when making her canvas things Did I mention he's also awesomely gay? I have so much love for this character.

The ending was SAD though. Like I said, I didn't guess the killer - there were so many twists and turns in this though, I'm not surprised! The author has A LOT of sequels planned and I plan to devour every single one, I can't wait to read more about Miki!
on 13 February 2013
Good build of characters, I liked the out of the ordinary 'special talent' of Miki, the heroine. I look forward to book 2.
Dennis Beasley