on 19 August 2012
Bought this as a replacement for a Bose Wave radio/CD player and as a good quality iPod dock. The unit looks good and slightly retro with its wood trim. It feels very solid and well-constructed. Control panel is on top, but most everyday functions can also be controlled via the remote. The iPod connection is hidden under a small plastic panel just behind the control panel. The unit has a telescopic aerial for radio reception, but this can be unscrewed to reveal a co-axial connection for an external aerial if needed. It was very easy to set up straight out of the box- tuning the DAB radio was very fast. As an iPod dock it works with all our various generations, from latest iPod Touch back to second generation nano. CDs play well with all functions working easily - this seems like an odd thing to highlight, but our old Bose Wave was very temperamental in this respect, despite having been replaced under warranty due to CD player problems.

So much for the description - the really interesting aspect of this unit is the sound, which is extraordinarily good. The first point is that it fills the room well without you needing to sit precisely in front of it - again a contrast to the old Bose. Across a range of different genres, CDs deliver a nice rich, clear sound. Bass-heavy music is particularly impressive - very clean, crisp and well-resolved, far better than could reasonably be expected from something so compact. From iPods, the sound is probably about as rich as you can get. Radio is great too.

Overall, I would highly recommend this unit - and even better it is manufactured here in the UK! The only criticism I would give is that the headphone socket is on the rear of the unit which might be awkward if you use headphones a lot, but I guess this wouldn't apply to most users.
33 Comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2012
I had been considering the purchase of a combined radio/CD player/ and iPod doc for some time as we had accumulated various pieces of equipment over the years and a 'tidy up' was needed.

My first consideration was a Bose unit but the prices encouraged me to look around. I found a large selection of options in John Lewis with the result that I listened to and fiddled with many units at reasonable prices.

I found the equipment produced by Roberts to be of a superior standard in all respects and a result I looked to Amazon for the best price which they easily achieved.

Easy to use, great adjustable sound and a good sensible price. Well recommended.
44 Comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2016
I'm not someone who enjoys fiddling round with technology so this was perfect for me - just plug it in and off you go. The sound quality is great and it is easy to use though the remote control is a bit small. I've had it for a couple of years, it sits in the kitchen and is used every day to play the radio, music on my phone and CDs. It looks great too. I can't believe that other, more heavily advertised and dearer systems have a better sound quality.
on 27 June 2013
Have been after a decent little sound system for a while and eventually went for this.

Very pleased with it! Super easy to set up. Not too large and looks great. It sits on a shelf in my computer room and I regularly use it to listen to CD's or DAB radio. Very impressed with sound quality, very clear and I'm sure it seems to bring out aspects of the music I hadn't previously noticed. There is plenty of volume with it. The remote is a strange little thing, can be a bit weird to operate one handed, but you soon get used to that.

Very happy with my purchase!
on 18 January 2015
never been so pleased great bit of kit
on 22 March 2017
Yes, like this very much.
on 15 April 2017
brilliant
on 31 October 2014
Excellent sound for the size. Easy to set up.
on 13 October 2012
Ordered this on Friday night with next day delivery and it came on time and very well packaged.
The Unit looks stylish and is very easy to set up and use. The sound is superb and the controls and functions are very easy to follow. Easy to dock with i-pod and controls are easy to use.
Bought this to replace an old dab/cd/radio in the kitchen and the sound fills the room, I am already thing of buying a second unit for the bedroom.
If you are looking for a combination unit that has great looks, great features and great sound look no further.
on 7 April 2013
Excellent sound system. I'd rate the audio quality 10/10. Far superior to a Bose iPod dock I had that was twice the price. I play everything from jazz to heavy death metal and the Roberts does it all brilliantly.

Very versatile system thanks to the aux in and iPod/iPhone connectivity. DAB radio works great as does the CD player.

Remote works great. All very intuitive to use.

Can't recommend this product enough. My dad popped round and I had zeppelin on quite loud when I was cooking. He was so impressed he ordered one the same day lol