on 19 August 2012
Bought this as a replacement for a Bose Wave radio/CD player and as a good quality iPod dock. The unit looks good and slightly retro with its wood trim. It feels very solid and well-constructed. Control panel is on top, but most everyday functions can also be controlled via the remote. The iPod connection is hidden under a small plastic panel just behind the control panel. The unit has a telescopic aerial for radio reception, but this can be unscrewed to reveal a co-axial connection for an external aerial if needed. It was very easy to set up straight out of the box- tuning the DAB radio was very fast. As an iPod dock it works with all our various generations, from latest iPod Touch back to second generation nano. CDs play well with all functions working easily - this seems like an odd thing to highlight, but our old Bose Wave was very temperamental in this respect, despite having been replaced under warranty due to CD player problems.

So much for the description - the really interesting aspect of this unit is the sound, which is extraordinarily good. The first point is that it fills the room well without you needing to sit precisely in front of it - again a contrast to the old Bose. Across a range of different genres, CDs deliver a nice rich, clear sound. Bass-heavy music is particularly impressive - very clean, crisp and well-resolved, far better than could reasonably be expected from something so compact. From iPods, the sound is probably about as rich as you can get. Radio is great too.

Overall, I would highly recommend this unit - and even better it is manufactured here in the UK! The only criticism I would give is that the headphone socket is on the rear of the unit which might be awkward if you use headphones a lot, but I guess this wouldn't apply to most users.
33 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2012
I had been considering the purchase of a combined radio/CD player/ and iPod doc for some time as we had accumulated various pieces of equipment over the years and a 'tidy up' was needed.

My first consideration was a Bose unit but the prices encouraged me to look around. I found a large selection of options in John Lewis with the result that I listened to and fiddled with many units at reasonable prices.

I found the equipment produced by Roberts to be of a superior standard in all respects and a result I looked to Amazon for the best price which they easily achieved.

Easy to use, great adjustable sound and a good sensible price. Well recommended.
44 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2012
I've had this a week now and I've found it to be excellent. I first saw it in a well known electrical shop for 249.99 and had they had it stock, I would have bought it then. They didn't so I checked on Amazon and not only is it cheaper I received it the next day. It looks like a Roberts should - classy. Sound wise it's excellent; it'll fill a good size room with a warm sound. The DAB radio part is crystal clear as is the CD player; and both simple to use. The IPod dock is nicely done and the system is infinitely quicker than my Pure Contour which - although I'm happy with it - has now been relegated to the bedroom. If you don't need to blast out a stadium, this is the equipment you want. The only issue is that I keep losing the remote down the back of the couch. But that's my fault, not Roberts.
on 13 October 2012
Ordered this on Friday night with next day delivery and it came on time and very well packaged.
The Unit looks stylish and is very easy to set up and use. The sound is superb and the controls and functions are very easy to follow. Easy to dock with i-pod and controls are easy to use.
Bought this to replace an old dab/cd/radio in the kitchen and the sound fills the room, I am already thing of buying a second unit for the bedroom.
If you are looking for a combination unit that has great looks, great features and great sound look no further.
on 9 October 2012
Wow - I swithered and swayed, read all reviews, and decided to purchase this product. I knew what I wanted from my 'boogie box' and this model certainly delivers. It looks GOOD, it sounds GREAT, the top buttons are easy to work, the ipod dock is a great addition too. But, the sound is brilliant - great value for money. I did, as others have written, originally think it had to be a BOSE... or nothing else. But Roberts is the perfect equivalent, at a third of the cost.

I highly recommend this to anyone wanting deep, clear sounds and a full range of digital radio, CD and ipod alternatives.
on 31 July 2013
I'll be honest. I didn't want one of these originally.

Indeed, I bought a Bose Wave III and was dead impressed with that beast until the insistent over-heavy bass had melted my brain after about 3 minutes. (And it wasn't just me. My wife, who has extremely acute hearing, could stand it even less). Stunningly the Bose has no user control over the tone . In fact, there are no tone controls at all- though it whacked out enough volume to fill a Jumbo jet hangar (not that handy in a 3 bed semi..). Anyway, I rang Bose and explained my quandary.

The Bose support chap was very understanding - I got the feeling that he had had to be understanding about this problem more than a couple of zillion times before... Anyway. It was a case of (a most polite) like it or lump it, Sir. And at the Bose price I was damned well not going to like it - so I lumped it back to them poste haste.

As an alternative I went for this Roberts unit - and am so very glad I did. It is chock full with facilites, plays like a dream and sounds absolutely wonderful. The DAB is razor sharp and the unit produced ample, controllable volume. Being priced at a fraction of the Bose only increases our contentment!

We are absolutely delighted with this machine - and no, neither of us works for Roberts. ;-)
on 29 December 2012
I bought this on the recommendation of my son who had heard it in use in a friend's house. The quality of sound is outstanding.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 January 2013
Arrived promptly. A fella dropped it round in his car, which was a bit odd. Still, nice service.

This is a very classy box. Genuinely worth the money. It looks good and has a very good sound to it. My only real grumble is that the DAB radio takes about 4-5 seconds to get going. Probably me nit-picking, and I can't compare it to other DAB radios, so this may be a common issue. Once it's going though, the systems is fine. Again, this may be a common thing, but the stations produce a text stream showing what's coming up, what's playing etc. This box doesn't really do a great job of displaying those messages. Not enough character space in my opinion. But do I really care? Nah. To be honest, I'd just rather it wasn't there at all.

We have a Synology NAS box in our house, and I have DS Audio on the iPhone. It's a geeks paradise to be able to play my entire music collection on it by simply plugging the phone into it.

This is something that will get a lot of use and with its Aux In as well, I can plug it next to the telly and get a much better sound than the rubbish speakers they have.

Get one!
1919 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2013
Excellent sound system. I'd rate the audio quality 10/10. Far superior to a Bose iPod dock I had that was twice the price. I play everything from jazz to heavy death metal and the Roberts does it all brilliantly.

Very versatile system thanks to the aux in and iPod/iPhone connectivity. DAB radio works great as does the CD player.

Remote works great. All very intuitive to use.

Can't recommend this product enough. My dad popped round and I had zeppelin on quite loud when I was cooking. He was so impressed he ordered one the same day lol
on 12 February 2013
My sister bought this system about a year ago and I found the sound amazing and kept thinking I should buy one. I wanted a compact system but with a good sound and I found it with this system. The sound is so clear I wish I had bought it earlier.